Using Google+ for Web conferencing

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

gcurrie

Using Google+ for Web conferencing

Post by gcurrie »

Been playing with google plus and wondering what others thoughts were on using a hangout in google plus for video conferencing for meetings during the week for people who are traveling or unable to make it to the stake office for meetings.
jeffvand

Post by jeffvand »

I think this is a great idea. I have been thinking about other applications as well. Having a hangout with some missionaries in it on the church page that folks could come into and learn and talk. The hangout feature really does help folks connect online... and with more and more people with webcams and computers capable os supporting it I think this is a great example of another technology the Lord will use to bring his work forward. :)
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

I've looked at the demo and it looks great! But it's telling me it's an invite only service. How does someone get invited?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lionelwalters wrote:I've looked at the demo and it looks great! But it's telling me it's an invite only service. How does someone get invited?
Invites get snarffed up very quickly, but I remember early gmail invites were the same way. It will calm down over time. I know people that are currently trying it out and they say it's nice, but it's really hard to create your personal "circles", because very few people they know are using it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I've really liked the church's pv software, but so far, it has not been rolled out to use, I have an account because of the beta pilot, but can't get it for other members of our stake presidency yet.
gcurrie

Post by gcurrie »

What your gmail email and I can send you a invite. I am trying to get a few people to play with it.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I have been testing Google+ for use within the church where distance is an issue and here are the reasons why I think its BRILLIANT:

1) It's free and you are not limited to 6 users like other free services

2) It's conservative look and feel is more appealing than other video chat-room services.

3) The big main video picture with the smaller pictures for the others has a nice feel about it and works well.

4) The option to share YouTube clips so all can see it is good too and has further scope to share other things.

5) Google is open about wanting to make an API and allow people to create their own solutions.

The last one is interesting for the church as you can imagine the church might want to create their own closed solution and then add something similar to gphangouts.com.

Allow me to quote what Mike Elgan said about the beauty of Google+:
Instead of saying, "I'm going to write a blog post now," or "I'm going to send an e-mail" or "I think I'll tweet something" you simply say what you have to say, then decide who you're going to say it to.

If you address it to "Public," it's a blog post.

If you address it to "Your Circles" it's a tweet.

If you address it to your "My Customers" Circle it's a business newsletter.

If you address it to a single person, it can be a letter to your mother.
Paul Allen (founder of Ancestry.com) is also worth following on Google+.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

I forgot to say Google+ currently allows 10 people to be in a "hangout" but the word is it will be extended to 25 once it goes more public which makes it perfect for most local church leadership meetings, seminary etc (where approved by local leaders).
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

I'm not sure I want google to be anywhere near any potentially confidential discussions I/we might be having as a ward!? Surely there's a privacy issue here?
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

dannykos wrote:I'm not sure I want google to be anywhere near any potentially confidential discussions I/we might be having as a ward!? Surely there's a privacy issue here?

And if you as a ward determine you need to discuss sensitive stuff then just decide to have a normal face2face meeting and only use this "additional tool" for any other meetings where suitable as far from all meetings have sensitive stuff.

But lets be careful not to worry too much as then we will also have to worry when we chat on the phone or worry if our ISP, email provider etc might read our emails for those "meetings minutes". If you meet for church meetings in a building not owned by the church you might also need to worry in case the owner has installed some listening devices.

Personally I don't share the same worries with that as I think there are other issues that might need looking at instead (such as making sure everyone in the web conference is sitting somewhere private and not sharing the meeting with the rest of the family etc)

I do think you have a point about making sure we have covered all bases. We could also encourage leaders to save highly sensitive stuff for face2face meeting and instead use web conference as an alternative to ensure meetings that previously were difficult/impossible to hold are now possible (due to distance or travel costs).

I see stakes with large distances struggle to hold some meetings at the interval they should and with solutions like this it is now possible to hold those missing meetings. On a more local level I think daily Seminary is one of those where a solution like this is perfect as you can't really use the church's webcast communicator for that.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”