PVC ChromeOS

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

idefaye

PVC ChromeOS

Post by idefaye »

We are looking for a simple, cheap, fast bootable solution for vidyo usage. We have been using a windows computer, which takes a long time to start. We've sometime started meetings 30 minutes late, because the pc was going through so many windows update. :(

One solution we are looking at is by using a Chromebook or ChromeBox. They are very cheap, are fast to boot, and can be used by almost any computer illiterate. But there are currently not ChromeOS app for Vidyo.

The web client won't work either because flash/flex player is required, which is not compatible with ChromiumOs. With the latest trend of "Flash Must Die" movement, this problem is going to grow out of ChromeOS to affect other web clients.

I've tried to contact Vidyo support directly to know if they have some near future plans to extend to other OS or at least not be depend of flash and use a more modern HTML5 approach, but got a : "you're not a client" answer.

Would anyone have more info on the subject ?
Vidyo does sell a box of their own, but it cost 1000$ and does nothing else but Vidyo. So not only is it super overpriced, but you can't even run slide presentation, etc... (ie: powerpoint)

At the end we might just discontinue using Vidyo and use Hangout instead on a ChromeBox. But the downside is there is a cap of 10 simultaneous participants.
drepouille

Re: PVC ChromeOS

Post by drepouille »

I thought the Vidyo solution had been replaced by the VidiU and the new webcasting web site. The VidiU is supplied by the FM.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
idefaye

Post by idefaye »

VidiU is a webcasting solution, not a webconference solution as far as I know of.
Our stake is one of the two worldwide stakes to have 17 units and spread on several hundred kilometers, so holding stake meetings by webconference is a weekly preoccupation for us.
For stake presidency meetings hangout can be ok, but with high council or stake councils, we have more than 10 participants in a conference. Although we've tried to have as much as possible the closest members come to the stake center, there are still many members that would need several hours drive to get to a meeting.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

idefaye wrote:We are looking for a simple, cheap, fast bootable solution for vidyo usage. We have been using a windows computer, which takes a long time to start. We've sometime started meetings 30 minutes late, because the pc was going through so many windows update.
I don't know about another platform, but I would think it might be possible to change the computer you are using away from automatic Windows updates. If you change it to the "don't do it but let me know it is available" setting (sorry, not at my Windows box right now), then you can proceed with your meeting after a normal startup and then download the Windows updates afterward, or on a different date.

If Vidyo on the desktop isn't working, you might check with Headquarters about possibly using one of the other meeting systems that FM Groups and CES use.

[And yes, VidiU is a different webcasting system that will not work for your meeting application.]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is there an Android app? Because you can get an inexpensive Android unit that connects to a TV. Such as the G-box. Although I'm not sure how that's going to work with a camera. While it has a USB port, I'm not sure if you can find any USB cameras with Android drivers.

Since you have the equipment, I'd second the idea of changing the Windows update settings. (Although, if you're running "home", that may not be an option for you.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
idefaye

Post by idefaye »

Right, I will check again but I think this cannot be done on our PC because it's a windows Home edition, not a Pro edition, so the option to change how it updates system does not exists.

I will check with FM if they have another tool, my understanding was that they use Vidyo, but I'll check with them.
idefaye

Post by idefaye »

russellhltn wrote:Is there an Android app? Because you can get an inexpensive Android unit that connects to a TV. Such as the G-box. Although I'm not sure how that's going to work with a camera. While it has a USB port, I'm not sure if you can find any USB cameras with Android drivers.
Yes, android box is another option I am looking at right now (Nexus Player or similar), but like you said I hear several complains about external device compatibility like webcams. This is where chromeOS is stronger, and why I wished Vidyo web experience would be flash free.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might look into a Windows upgrade so you can get to that setting.

Or, you might Google to see if there's some tweak to change it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”