Top part of app cut off

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for all versions of Windows Phone.
laura.turley

Top part of app cut off

Post by laura.turley »

On Blu Win HD LTE
Attachments
wp_ss_20151030_0004.png
(374.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
djespoak

Re: Top part of app cut off

Post by djespoak »

Edit: Added second screenshot after it failed to post. It is in both beta and official versions.
End Edit

Church tech support said its very elusive bug.

The way i minimize the cutoff is to turn cell phone sideways to minimize the space cut off.

Current OS 8.10.14234.375

Unable to unpack latest update 8.10.15xxx.xxx while SD card has more than 25 GB empty.

Landscape grey area is search bar much smaller and open. Search bar is miniature version of the much larger search bar.

FYI for developers: I get it ALL the time. Sometimes it takes the real thing and not an emulator.

Attached are screenshots, one landscape and the other portrait. Hope this helps some.
Attachments
wp_ss_20151122_0001.png
(368.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wp_ss_20151122_0002-thumb.png
(499.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

FYI for developers: I get it ALL the time. Sometimes it takes the real thing and not an emulator.
So that you're aware, it's highly insulting to imply that we only use an emulator to develop the application. We test on a number of devices--I myself have a Lumia 920, and we also have an HTC One M8 for Windows, Lumia 1520, Lumia Icon, Lumia 520, Lumia 635, Lumia 640, etc.. Others in the team and I all plan to buy either a Lumia 950 or Lumia 950 XL fairly soon. Despite what you believe, we do, in fact, test on the real thing. Please avoid jumping to conclusions about the quality of our app development. We develop for Windows and Windows Phone because we love the platform, not because we're paid (reminder: we aren't). If it weren't for us, neither Windows nor Windows Phone would even have Church applications anymore.

The fact is this: as I likely pointed out to you in an email response, this is a highly elusive bug. We are and have been doing everything we can to hunt it down. What we've noticed so far: it typically only happens on larger devices like the Blu Win HD LTE, Lumia 640 XL, and the Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe. Even then, the occurrence of the issue is highly irregular. We cannot get the issue to reproduce reliably enough to track down the cause and kill the bug. On several occasions now, when we thought we'd killed the bug, we shortly afterward got a number of emails from testers saying the issue was still present on their devices.

So you want a status report on this bug? Right now, we're suspicious of something called hammer.js in our code. We have suspicions that its behavior on Windows versus Windows Phone may be to blame for the behavior some users, yourself included, are running into. Do we have a confirmation? No. No, we don't. But we're still working on the bug.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
djespoak

Post by djespoak »

Sorry, this is what I get after dealing with a foot of snow and slippery, unplowed roads. :oops: :| :oops:
With the issues I've had since I got is cell it might just be the device itself. Thanks to calling me out on that.
jsjoslin

Post by jsjoslin »

Me too post:

I am also getting this bug right now on my Blu Win HD LTE on OS build 10.0.10586.164. I've tried changing the display scaling in the phone settings but it doesn't seem to have much effect.

Unrelated: I've also noticed that the buttons at the bottom of the app are tiny regardless of display resolution as well. My wife has the small button issue on her Dell Venue 8 Pro full windows 10 32bit tablet. The buttons aren't too small on our surface pro 3 though.

Thank you all for your hard work!
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

If there is anyone in the Salt Lake Area who has a Blu Win HD LTE phone they would be willing to let us examine, it would be very helpful. Please contact me @ spencerto@ldschurch.org . The biggest problem we have had is trying to reproduce this bug on any phone other than the Blu and the Cherry Mobile which none of us on the volunteer team have access to. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Incidentally, since you have Windows 10 Mobile running on your phone (@jsjoslin) you can try the Alpha version of the Windows 10 UWP app which is currently in development. The Alpha version isn't published as publically visible yet, but you can download it via the store through this link: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh5k3wn . Please be advised that the UWP is still early in development and does not implement all features yet. Annotations and Highlights are not synced with the production web service so any notes you take will not be preserved, etc. Also, the user interface has some new concepts we are experimenting with and may not appear in the final version, depending upon user feedback.

Thanks

Return to “Windows Phone Gospel Library”