Windows Phone format

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for all versions of Windows Phone.
SherlockAdam

Windows Phone format

Post by SherlockAdam »

Without wishing to start a fight, I wonder if any of the programmers could let us know why the Windows Phone information (Scriptures, magazines, manuals etc) uses a different format to the other Mobile Gospel Libraries (iPhone/iPad, or Android.) I assume this as it has not been updated since September 2013.

If the formats were the same then it is easy to update the information. We would not be in this situation where the Windows Phone User is stuck with Ensigns of September 2013 and earlier. Also the language issue would be resolved. The benefits are that there is a reduced time to convert the data into a mobile format.

If they are the same, the question is, why has the Windows Phone data not been updated?

Looking forward to hearing the views form those who make a difference.

Best regards
PhantomX20

Re: Windows Phone format

Post by PhantomX20 »

I was searching and I found this reply:
Larry Richman January 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Patrick,

I talked today with the product manager for the Gospel Library mobile app. He said that they have a small volunteer development team working on the app for the Windows Phone 7 & 8. They are getting the app stabilized, but haven’t yet gotten all the issues worked out with the publishing process. He is aware the content is behind and they will get the publishing process worked out soon.

Larry
Source:http://ldsmediatalk.com/2013/07/06/gosp ... obile-app/ So it could be tomorrow or it could be next century. Oh, the reply is at the bottom of the page.
jivillarreal

Post by jivillarreal »

Thank you for this post. My wife is on Windows with a Nokia phone, having migrated from the Android platform, and finds much missing data in the lesson material she uses to teach her Primary class. Getting the information consistent across platforms would be GREATLY appreciated. I regret that I don't have the skills to assist in the programming. Thanks!!
PhantomX20

Post by PhantomX20 »

I'm not helping build the app, although I wish I was so I could get that thing out the door, but I am glad to be of some assist. I too have been missing the updates and I also love my windows phone (Lumia 620). Hopefully they get things sorted out because it is quite annoying not being up to date with everything.
JoelBennett

Post by JoelBennett »

One of the things I'm a bit curious about is how the content is delivered. I mean, does the app check against an RSS feed or some sort of service for new content? It seems like decoupling the actual app from the content would be a good idea (if they aren't already doing that). That way pushing out new content wouldn't require an app update - just a check against a service to see what the latest content is.
SherlockAdam

Post by SherlockAdam »

As far as I know - and I can only go by the one content update. The app checks to see if there is an update when you start it up.

Only once did it say that it was updating content, and it then left you to work out what had been updated.

It is times like this, I was a programmer, then I could help the Church build the app into what it could be.

It is easiest to have one format across all the devices. So when a new magazine, manual etc becomes available it is just one conversion, and everyone gets an update at the same time. If you have three or more different formats the resources for the upkeep is phenomenal, and certainly a waste.
BowmanDH

Post by BowmanDH »

Your advice is good and we are trying to develop on universal content delivery platform for all devices. That is a multiple step process from where we currently are but a universal platform is in the works.
JoelBennett

Post by JoelBennett »

Good to hear.

If there's any other info you can share (or tell us where to look), that'd be much appreciated. It'd be nice to familiarize myself with how the system will work so I can possibly lend a hand with the Windows Phone 8 app.
msheets

Post by msheets »

This will probably be of great interest to everyone on this list. It is currently publically available, so I'm assuming that it is okay to share: https://tech.lds.org/blog/589-windows-8-gospel-library.
JoelBennett

Post by JoelBennett »

That's great and all, but Windows 8 isn't nearly the same as Windows Phone 8. One's a desktop operating system and the other is for mobile phones.

Return to “Windows Phone Gospel Library”