Installing Gospel Library isn't working for IPad 1 or 2

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
sword_king

Installing Gospel Library isn't working for IPad 1 or 2

Post by sword_king »

My gospel library was deleted when I updated my my iPad, however; my iPad was updated to iOS 9. And the gospel library can only be installed by iOS 10. Are there going to be older version perhaps to allow the people with devices with less capacity to install gospel library? I tried to help my parents who has same problems. They love listening and reading from gospel library, but it's not working for them. I hope this issue can be fixed. Thank you
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Installing Gospel Library isn't working for IPad 1 or 2

Post by sbradshaw »

The latest version of Gospel Library only supports iOS 10. However, you should be able to install an older version of Gospel Library from the App Store. The iOS App Store automatically provides an older version of apps to devices that can't support the newest version. You should see a message like this (screenshot attached) when you try to install Gospel Library on the iOS 9 iPad. You might not get the latest content, but you should at least be able to get the scriptures.
Attachments
IMG_0066.PNG
(246.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
craigr2317

Post by craigr2317 »

Hi, i'm running iOS 9.3.5. The Apple store does not offer the older version to download/install. What can I do?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

craigr2317 wrote:Hi, i'm running iOS 9.3.5. The Apple store does not offer the older version to download/install. What can I do?
Did you check under the "Purchased" tab in the App Store? If you've installed the app before (on your current device or a different device – it just needs to be associated with your Apple ID), you can find it under Purchased and should be able to install the latest compatible version from there.
japchem

Post by japchem »

I have a Number of members of my quorum who have older iPhones who would like to download gospel library but can't find a version compatible with iOS 10.0 or before. Can you please post a link to the older Gospel Library (this would be outside of the App Store). Obviously they hadn't previously downloaded the App and can't afford to buy newer iPhone versions.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

japchem wrote:I have a Number of members of my quorum who have older iPhones who would like to download gospel library but can't find a version compatible with iOS 10.0 or before. Can you please post a link to the older Gospel Library (this would be outside of the App Store). Obviously they hadn't previously downloaded the App and can't afford to buy newer iPhone versions.
iOS doesn't allow installing apps from outside of the App Store – apps downloaded or installed from other places won't run. The only exceptions, unless the phone is jailbroken (hacked by the owner), are TestFlight, which is Apple's beta program, and controlled/closed app distribution with an Apple-issued enterprise certificate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

And even if you got an old version of GL installed, nothing prior to iOS 10 is receiving updates. iOS 9 stopped receiving updates in March of this year.

Supported iOS versions for Gospel Library
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kaicolo

Post by kaicolo »

An older brother sitting next to me today couldn't get to the April conference talks and after some troubleshooting (log in and out, connect to different network, restart service, etc) we decided to remove the app and then reinstall. After removing the app and attempting to reinstall all he gets is a notice that the app isn't supported for his version and he can't install even the older version anymore. GL doesn't show up on his purchased app list anymore either. Is his only recourse to buy a new iPad?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

kaicolo wrote:An older brother sitting next to me today couldn't get to the April conference talks and after some troubleshooting (log in and out, connect to different network, restart service, etc) we decided to remove the app and then reinstall. After removing the app and attempting to reinstall all he gets is a notice that the app isn't supported for his version and he can't install even the older version anymore. GL doesn't show up on his purchased app list anymore either. Is his only recourse to buy a new iPad?
The iOS App Store keeps track of any apps you install with your Apple ID. If he's installed Gospel Library in the past, he can find it in the "Purchased" tab of the App Store. From there, he can download the most recent version of the app that's compatible with his device.
donrichards57

Post by donrichards57 »

What [omitted] individual made the decision to make the gospel library obsolete on perfectly good yet older equipment. You can’t find this stuff in material centers anymore (come follow me annual updates). How is this not being wasteful? Doesn’t sound like provident living to me!

[Moderator edit: After discussion among moderators/administrators, a couple of words have been omitted to preserve adherence to the Code of Conduct (link at bottom of page).]

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”