Edit an existing highlight

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
bigphatsound

Edit an existing highlight

Post by bigphatsound »

I would like to edit an existing highlight without having to delete it and start again. I was able to do this as an Android user simply by double tapping the highlight to bring the handles into view. I then could drag the handles to extend the highlight. I can't seem to do this in the iOS version. I'd be grateful of any suggestions. Thanks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Edit an existing highlight

Post by sbradshaw »

This isn't currently possible in Gospel Library for iOS; however, if you need to adjust a highlight, you can log into LDS.org and adjust the highlight there.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bigphatsound

Post by bigphatsound »

Thanx very much for your reply. Cheers, Jeff.
ldscirkev

Post by ldscirkev »

sbradshaw wrote:This isn't currently possible in Gospel Library for iOS; however, if you need to adjust a highlight, you can log into LDS.org and adjust the highlight there.
Is this a feature that is being discussed? It makes things unnecessarily cumbersome to have to log on to my computer just to edit the length of a highlight. This seems like a very basic feature that should have been available in the very first release of the app way back when.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It has been brought up to the Gospel Library team in the past, but hasn't been prioritized because it would require building a custom text selection tool instead of using the built-in one from Apple. It's possible, it would just be a matter of it being prioritized against other work. The best way to submit it as a feature request is through Settings > Send Feedback (the support team keeps track of common requests that come in and shares them with the product manager for Gospel Library).
ldscirkev

Post by ldscirkev »

Oh okay. That makes sense. I didn't realize that Apple had a built in tool for text selection. I'm assuming this tool is what Apple uses for highlighting in iBooks? Thanks for your response.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, iBooks would use the same tool for the text selection part of the process. There's a lot built on top of and around the actual text selection – for example, the popup annotation menu, and the way the colors are drawn on the page – but the long-press to start selecting text and the handles to resize the selection (before you tap Mark) are provided by iOS.
markojarvis

Post by markojarvis »

sbradshaw wrote:This isn't currently possible in Gospel Library for iOS; however, if you need to adjust a highlight, you can log into LDS.org and adjust the highlight there.
I've used this workaround in the past, but I can't seem to get it to work now. Every time I try to select/drag the existing highlight handle in my online study notebook, the system thinks I am trying to add a new highlight. I've tried using different browsers but I'm getting the same error. Is anyone else having the same trouble?
bigphatsound

Post by bigphatsound »

Yes, that also happened to me yesterday when logged into Notes on my laptop. I had to screen shot the existing note/highlight so I could remember it, delete the existing and then recreate it with the extended highlight. A bit frustrating. Extending the highlight used to work better, I assume something has changed in the online version.

Having the ability to change the highlight by dragging out the handles would be a great feature - both in iOS and online. I understand that it might not be high on the priority list compared to other changes however.

Appreciate the work that is being done, the Library app is wonderful.
bigphatsound

Post by bigphatsound »

Feature request submitted via Library app 05 January 2020

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”