iPad 1

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
psgraham

Re: iPad 1

Post by psgraham »

Thanks for the background explanations. I was curious about why I couldn't install the Gospel Library app on my iPad 1. I did come up with some potential workarounds, though, none of them are as convenient as having the Gospel Library app, but they might be helpful to someone.

1. I found out that the Deseret Bookshelf app, which is available for the iPad 1, does have the Scriptures (and a few other excellent Gospel books) for free. For the Scriptures, this seems like a great option. Of course, it doesn't really give you easy access to other LDS materials (at least with the little time that I spent with the app). It does provide methods for adding notes, highlights, and bookmarks to books and can sync them across devices--all very handy. Additionally, the footnotes are included in the Scriptures and hyperlinks (or just "links") in the footnotes can take you directly to the references.

2. Using lds.org in the Safari browser isn't a bad option for getting to the Scriptures and other LDS materials, but, of course, it requires an Internet connection and it doesn't seem to provide a convenient way to do annotations or bookmarks (beyond what the browser already does). There are some annotation and bookmarking features when viewing the Scriptures using desktop web browsers, but I don't seem to see those features when using Safari on the iPad 1.

3. Downloading the various books from lds.org in PDF or .mobi formats using Safari and then opening the documents with either the Adobe Reader app or the Amazon Kindle app isn't a bad way to go. The Adobe Reader and Amazon Kindle apps provide methods for navigating the documents (not as good as other options) and making annotations. The PDF versions of the Scriptures have the footnotes where I didn't see them in the .mobi versions of the scriptures. The .mobi version of the Scriptures does seem easier to navigate.

I know this doesn't really solve the problem of getting the Gospel Library app onto an iPad 1, but it might help someone.
vespergo

Post by vespergo »

It would be a great feature if the older versions could at least get the material that the newer ones have, some sort of dynamic linking to the newer content. If I have an older version of the software it won't allow me to get the newer versions of Ensign as well as the new Come Follow Me Curr. for next year. Doing this for previous versions probably isn't going to happen I understand, but hopefully it can be done going forward.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

vespergo wrote:It would be a great feature if the older versions could at least get the material that the newer ones have, some sort of dynamic linking to the newer content.
Other posts have mentioned that the method of obtaining content has changed, the app had to be rewritten to access the data, and older versions of the app could not be made to accommodate the change. As a compromise, two servers host the data using the two different methods, but the older server is no longer being updated with new content.

I think if it were as simple as a link to the new content for an older version of the app, it would have been done.
billguest

IPad 1 cannot run latest versions of Gospel Library

Post by billguest »

We have an older 1st Generation IPad (Model MF432LL/A running IOS 9.3.5. The only version of Gospel Library that appears in the Apple App Store states, when trying to download, that “Gospel Library” is not compatible with this iPad. I have looked in the “Purchased” tab of the App Store and can see Gospel Library, but trying to download that one results in a message indicating that the version is not compatible. Unless Apple or the Church provides earlier versions for download, then the older iPads will not be able to install/use Gospel Library.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: IPad 1 cannot run latest versions of Gospel Library

Post by sbradshaw »

billguest wrote:We have an older 1st Generation IPad (Model MF432LL/A running IOS 9.3.5. The only version of Gospel Library that appears in the Apple App Store states, when trying to download, that “Gospel Library” is not compatible with this iPad. I have looked in the “Purchased” tab of the App Store and can see Gospel Library, but trying to download that one results in a message indicating that the version is not compatible. Unless Apple or the Church provides earlier versions for download, then the older iPads will not be able to install/use Gospel Library.
Under Purchased, did you try tapping the download icon that appears while you're still on the list of Purchased apps? Others on the forum have reported that if they tap the download icon from the "Purchased" list, it works, but if they go tap on the Gospel Library icon or app name to open the full listing for Gospel Library, then tap download, it doesn't work. Also, make sure that the title of the app you tap download on says "Gospel Library" and not the older "Gospel Library 2.5", if you happen to have both listed.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”