Feature request: reciprocal link

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
robfanny

Feature request: reciprocal link

Post by robfanny »

Can you make a reciprocal link? ie. I am in 1 Nephi 3:6 and want to link to Mosiah 4:8 (this is just an example, not a real link).
When I link the second reference to the first, it would be helpful to have an option that would automatically link from the second to the first reference.

Thank you.

PL
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Feature request: reciprocal link

Post by sbradshaw »

This is a feature that was added in Gospel Library 4 (bi-directional links). Are you running the latest version of Gospel Library?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
robfanny

Post by robfanny »

Yes, GL4.0.1. How do you do bi-directional links?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Every link you create is automatically bi-directional. Here's the process for creating a link on iOS:

From scripture A, select some text and tap the Link button in the annotation toolbar (depending on the width of your screen, you might need to press the arrow/triangle to see additional options in the toolbar). You will see a line of text towards the top of the screen to let you know you're in linking mode. Then, navigate to scripture B and select it. You will see another toolbar pop up with the option to create the link. Tap that option.

After having created the link, next to both scripture A and scripture B you should see a link icon in the right margin. Tapping the link icon shows the scripture reference and the quoted verse(s) from the other end.

If you want to see the full chapter on the other end instead of just the linked verses, you can tap the scripture reference in the sidebar.

You can also link between other content, such as manuals or General Conference talks.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
abujnowski

Post by abujnowski »

I can validate that the reciprocal linking only works sometimes. When I test the feature out on two verses that I have never highlighted or linked, the feature works. But when I add a link to something that is highlighted already, then I never see the reciprocal link show up in the other verse.

Also, there is no way to delete the reciprocal link by itself. You have to delete the original highlighted verse, then both links disappear. This could be problematic if you're trying to delete a link and don't know if it's the original one or the reciprocal one.
corwinslack

Post by corwinslack »

I hate to sound so irritated but my entire scripture study has been turned on its head by version 4. Reciprocal links have a number of issues:

1. Should we not know the difference between a primary link and a reciprocal link?
2. Could we at least have a user option to suppress reciprocal links?
3. Not every linked item needs a reciprocal link. If I am linking a phrase in a hymn to a verse of scripture , I may not be interested in the scripture being linked to the hymn. It is just too much information clutter. Visual clutter is the overwhelming flaw of this version upgrade.

I don't think the designers of this new version study the scriptures with notes and links and annotations and I don't think they worked with any serious users of this application.
corwinslack

Post by corwinslack »

One more problem with reciprocal links: If we previously created the reciprocal link manually it now shows up twice. Arrrggghhh!!! Just more confusing visual clutter. Who did this?
corwinslack

Post by corwinslack »

corwinslack wrote:I hate to sound so irritated but my entire scripture study has been turned on its head by version 4. Reciprocal links have a number of issues:

1. Should we not know the difference between a primary link and a reciprocal link?
2. Could we at least have a user option to suppress reciprocal links?
3. Not every linked item needs a reciprocal link. If I am linking a phrase in a hymn to a verse of scripture , I may not be interested in the scripture being linked to the hymn. It is just too much information clutter. Visual clutter is the overwhelming flaw of this version upgrade.

I don't think the designers of this new version study the scriptures with notes and links and annotations and I don't think they worked with any serious users of this application.
Regarding number 3: a primary link may be given a context with notes and tags. An automatic reciprocal link will, of course, leave out the context. For example I have a link in John 6 about those who would make Christ a King for multiplying the loaves and fishes that ties back to Genesis 3 and the curse of work. In John 6 it has context. But when one looks at it in Genesis 3 it is a head scratcher.

Reciprocal links should be a choice not automatic.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”