Notes go with which verse?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
andyrosenberg

Re: Notes go with which verse?

Post by andyrosenberg »

Me too, but I'm reluctant to update to 4.0 with the whole issue of notes. Hopefully 4.1 will be released soon and will restore a split screen so that notes may be seen while reading the scriptures. And underlining and highlighting will sync.
sharirosenberg

Post by sharirosenberg »

Nice to know it's been fixed. What a long ordeal.

Any idea when the next update will come out with the return of side notes?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

No, I'm not sure when the next update will be, other than a "patch release" with minor crash/bug fixes. There will probably be a patch release in the next couple of weeks, but I don't think anything visible will change. I do know that it won't be a whole year, like it was between 3.4 and 4.0! :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

We've made some progress on tracking down where highlights are sometimes shifted by a few words on LDS.org, compared to Gospel Library. It has to do with the Show Footnotes / Hide Footnotes toggle. @andyrosenberg, when you go to Exodus 15 on LDS.org, on the right there's an option to Show Footnotes or Hide Footnotes. When the footnotes are visible, the highlights seem to line up correctly. Is that the case for you?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

Thanks. Right now with some testing it seeems to work back and forth from the website to the device app. I will continue to experiment a little more thoroughly and report.
corwinslack

Post by corwinslack »

There are a few virtues in the new window for member added notes, tags and links (NTL) in spite of the many problems. It would help for verses with NTL to only have one icon in the right margin. When the icon is tapped the window should open showing all the NTL for the verse organized by highlight style . Reciprocal links should be listed last. Highlights for multiple verses should be associated with the first verse in the range. The highlight could be indicated with the first and last words of the highlight separated by ellipses and styled exactly like the highlight in the verse.
corwinslack

Post by corwinslack »

4.03 helps but I think that a single icon per verse that opened all the notes with the highlight "link" would be good. I like having things in the footnotes but the expanded link text is a distraction there.

Thanks for 4.03. I am looking forward to 4.1.
npk_techguy

Post by npk_techguy »

4.03 is a great improvement. I played with the app yesterday on an iPad 3. So, yes, a little slow. However, I am still not going to update my phone and iPad. Waiting for 4.1 or at least seeing what 4.04 brings.

I like being able to see the highlights and notes in the footnotes section, I am glad that got started. I like the format of the content in 4.x, especially the SS lessons. Very nice, easy on the eyes and great information.
I really love the spit screen capability.

My concerns are still around the way I use the app for personal study.
  1. The highlights and associated notes with the borders use too much room in the side bar. Too much white space around.
  2. The highlight colors are too light. I can't distinguish between yellow and orange, especially a note for an underlined verse in the sidebar. I like the verse number in a box of the underline color rather than just underlined, like 3.4. that would help with visibility. Be sure and test the colors with Nighshift mode on and off.
  3. The whole linked scripture is shown in the sidebar. Needs to be a way to open and close (hide) or got back to the way it was done in 3.4. If I have 4-5 verses linked to a verse, then all of those verses are shown in the sidebar. Too distracting. Takes up too much space.
  4. The sidebar scrolls to the top footnote for the verse at the top of the screen, not to the top of the highlights and notes for the same verse. (I can live with this one because it is scrolling to the first shown footnote.)
For me, personally, I am comfortable with 3.4 for my scripture study. The changes in 4.03 are still too much of a distraction for me.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to future releases.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”