Notes go with which verse?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
ClarkHall

Re: Notes go with which verse?

Post by ClarkHall »

sbradshaw wrote:
clarkhall wrote:I also do not like not being able to look at the scripture other than the one highlighted in the lesson. It is often helpful to read before and after the lesson linked verses.
If you tap on the title or scripture reference above the quoted verses in the sidebar, it will take you to the full chapter.
Sbradshaw you are correct. There is nothing like making it more difficult. Before it was so easy, now not so much. I hope thy will restore the prior program.
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

Ditto to all that has been said so far. It about makes me want to cry. Many hours of transferring my notes and now it's usability has just crashed to the ground. Just a very simple thing of in the prior version being able to see my notes and quotes in the "Related Content" column on the right has been taken away making it of no real help to put notes etc. into the app.

I would like to remind those who work on these apps that the Gospel Library app is starting to REPLACE our paper scriptures and the changes that were just made completely change how we see what we have "written in the margins" which make the scripture experience so rich to many of us - and up until now we have been able to for the most part reproduce, making this a good thing. Not so now.

I will immediately stop migrating my markings and entering anything new until this gets fixed. And if it doesn't, then I doubt I'll every use it again in such a way - I'll go back to my paper scriptures.
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

I have an observation after using the app on my Nexus 5x on Android. In Android I can see my notes in the "Related Content". It's the IOS version where I can't. interesting.
galorath

Post by galorath »

One thought is to use an android emulator on ipad and use android gospel library. Is it as good as iOS gospel library 3?
kwlindsay

Post by kwlindsay »

I too would like to see the notes returned to the related content section, with the colors of the markings, etc. It's not helpful the way it currently is.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ebyers wrote:I have an observation after using the app on my Nexus 5x on Android. In Android I can see my notes in the "Related Content". It's the IOS version where I can't. interesting.
That is correct – user-created notes and annotations show in the full related content on Android, but not yet on iOS. This will be coming with a future update. Gospel Library for iOS is a little behind the curve on some things, but ahead on others. Major portions of the app needed to be rewritten from the ground up.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
npk_techguy

Post by npk_techguy »

I suppose to get what we had will be a pretty big feature change in v.4.0. I am assuming this change was made since so few people actually used the highlights and notes, so it makes sense. I was looking at people's devices in SS and PH yesterday and was surprised at how few people mark their scriptures on their devices. They are just happy to have all the content in one place. But it has really alienated those of us who use GL to its potential.

I started marking only single verses in v. 2 and making only small notes. It was difficult to manage since all the footnotes and notes were inline with the verses. 3.0 changed all of that. With notes, links and tags inline with all the footnotes in a separate side (or bottom) view I began to see the potential. I started marking single words and phrases and making notes, adding tags (I really wish we could search by multiple tags) and links. Some verses like Moroni 7:45 where the attributes of charity are listed I have 6 separate notes and several tags and links just to that verse. DC 4 is very similar. You can imagine the fiasco it is to find a note in V.4. In v. 3 I can see all the notes and tags for that one verse, simultaneously.

I notice that in V. 4 in the upper left is an icon that takes the user from a note back to the footnotes. If the user content (notes, tags and links) can't be shown inline with the footnotes, at least make it so we can see all the user content for a chapter simultaneously and use the icon to go back and forth between user content and footnotes. I would prefer that it was all inline like v. 3, but I open. I just know that the current implementation does not work.

This is an email I sent to the beta team on Oct 28th (I am sure these just went into Jira and were not looked at) when I realized what was happening that the v.4 release was imminent:
Oh, please, oh please, oh please, oh please don't make us have to tap the notes button next to a scripture every time we want to see saved notes, links and tags. Please, Please. I like having that information scroll with the verses. I don't mind that is isn't integrated with the footnotes, but each verse can't be its own world. I make notes to scriptures in context to scriptures (and associated notes) before and after the one I am reading. To have to open, then close, each note to read what I have typed will be very frustrating. It would be nice to have the notes, tags and links in a scrolling window like the footnotes, then be able to switch back and forth between the two, if the two aren't going to be integrated like the the current version.
another on Nov 23:
I hope that you are truly read[ing] these. I have not used paper scriptures since version 3 came out. I study, give talks and teach lessons from my iPad, and sometimes iPhone. I have a keyboard from Zagg that I absolutely love. In fact, I travel from my job and generally only carry my iPad.

With that, the ability for me to do things easily and quickly on the iPad is extremely important. I have been trying to use these 4.0 beta's as I have used 3.x. Somethings are so awesome and work so well. I love the enhancements to notes, and I especially love the split screen so I can have onenote and GL open side by side.

But the simplest task of just being able to sit on the couch and read a chapter in the standard works or a talk from general conference and simultaneously reading notes I have made without multiple, and I mean multiple, taps is impossible. Every single note, every link, every tag has to be tapped in order to be seen. I can no longer just scroll and see everything, I can't see all the notes within a scripture simultaneously or the notes for other scriptures around the one that relate to that scripture. Not only that, I have no idea what highlight the the note is associated to. I can assume by the line that the icon is on, but once the note is open there is no association back to the highlight, let alone the verse in the chapter.

I am extremely concerned about this update. Is it going to be a new app in the app store or will it replace version 3.x? As it is, please make it a new app in the store and not an upgrade. I am very uncomfortable with the way the highlights, notes, links, etc has been implemented and don't want to upgrade to the new version, even with the new notes and split screen. I have really tried to use this version. But having to tap on everyone single note, link, tag to see what I have put is not my style and makes using the app too much a part of studying. I believe the app should fall away into the background so one can focus on study, the content; for me, the app is too present and a distraction.
These were just two of several that had screen captures to illustrate the point sent to the beta team. I wish I had been on sooner. I would like to understand the thinking that went on behind this, I am sure there are valid points, I also want to know what the future holds. I have come to depend on this app.

I am glad I still have v. 3.4. I can't imagine the frustration for the folks that are stuck on 4 with no way to get back. I am sure it takes a few minutes to calm down enough to study each time you turn on your device.
galorath

Back to V3.4 via itunes

Post by galorath »

SOLUTION Back to GOspel Library 3... I rarely use itunes, mostly to backup when getting a new device. I went to itunes and found a copy of version 3.4 I deleted the version 4 from my iphone and was able to copy 3.4 back onto my iPhone
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

Sam, thanks for the reply. I find it curious that this change would be made since before this update, the IOS version did show my notes, etc. in the Related Content. Did they have to re-write a section of code which effectively removed that feature - and now is pending an additional revision?

Thanks-

sbradshaw wrote:
ebyers wrote:I have an observation after using the app on my Nexus 5x on Android. In Android I can see my notes in the "Related Content". It's the IOS version where I can't. interesting.
That is correct – user-created notes and annotations show in the full related content on Android, but not yet on iOS. This will be coming with a future update. Gospel Library for iOS is a little behind the curve on some things, but ahead on others. Major portions of the app needed to be rewritten from the ground up.
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

We have another issue that when we mark in the app (iPhone/iPad) or on lds.org on our computer, the markings do not appear on the same word/s when we go from the app to lds.org or vice-versa. We've contacted "tech support" for months with no response. Anyone else run into this? Any solutions?

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”