Syncing Gospel Library across multiple devices...

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Syncing Gospel Library across multiple devices...

Post by sbradshaw »

mrfew43002 wrote:I had lots of annotations on my iPod and when I got my new phone I would log in and nothing would appear so I logged out and logged in again and I waited. Under my username I saw syncing annotations ... and it wouldn't do it
Was your iPod ever signed in?
Do you see your annotations if you sign in at LDS.org?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bwoolf

Post by bwoolf »

ebyers wrote:In my case, only some of my notations on my iPad make it to the LDS.org website notes. I have logged out of my iPad a number of times since I read that this might help, but still no syncing. Does anyone have any insight on this? I use the LDS.org website for some of my study and then my iPad for some so it is challenging when they don't sync. Thoughts anyone?

I deleted the app (iPhone) and after downloading it again, it completely synced. Yea!! Thanks!!
Wolfpaw

No Sync across my android and PC

Post by Wolfpaw »

Is there a button to sync across my android and PC (Windows 10) or does is it supposed to just happen when you login to the PC? Right now there is no sync between the two.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Both are supposed to sync to LDS.org. Butb that requires that you input your ldsaccount into GL.

Make sure you're using the same ldsaccount on both devices.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mtaylor36

Post by mtaylor36 »

I took my laptop to institute today and typed in a bunch of notes. When I got home, it wouldn't sync. I clicked on the menu and hit reset settings (as was suggested by an online user). I went back into JS-H and the notes were there ... for about 30 seconds. Then everything disappeared!! I can't find them anywhere. Please help!

Also, I have a desktop, a laptop, and a phone. How does GL keep everything straight when syncing? This is the first time I ever tried to sync from anything other than my desktop. Do I always need to sync from only one computer? How does it know what information to push/pull. For example, if I type a note on my desktop then delete it on my phone then type another note in another place on my desktop, how does it know whether to keep or delete the note?

Thanks,
Mary
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mtaylor36 wrote:I took my laptop to institute today and typed in a bunch of notes. When I got home, it wouldn't sync. I clicked on the menu and hit reset settings (as was suggested by an online user). I went back into JS-H and the notes were there ... for about 30 seconds. Then everything disappeared!! I can't find them anywhere. Please help!

Also, I have a desktop, a laptop, and a phone. How does GL keep everything straight when syncing? This is the first time I ever tried to sync from anything other than my desktop. Do I always need to sync from only one computer? How does it know what information to push/pull. For example, if I type a note on my desktop then delete it on my phone then type another note in another place on my desktop, how does it know whether to keep or delete the note?

Thanks,
Mary
Is it Gospel Library for Windows you were using when things wouldn't sync and disappeared? (iOS Gospel Library doesn't have a "reset settings" option.)

Annotation sync uses "last modified date" timestamps to know what needs to be synced up and down. Each installation of Gospel Library keeps track of when it last synced, and the next time it connects to the sync server to sync, it sends up everything modified on the device since that date, and fetches everything modified on other devices since that date. If the same annotation is edited on two different devices at the same time (before either device is able to sync), the one with the most recent modified date will "win."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Annotation sync uses "last modified date"
Is that in UTC or is that subject to time zone and DST issues?

On a Win10 machine, it's possible that the clock is correct as far as local time, but the time zone is incorrect resulting in a wrong UTC.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

For knowing which annotations to sync down, the app uses a timestamp provided by the server the last time you synced. The next time the app syncs, it provides that timestamp to the server, and the server sends down everything it's received since (no matter what the timestamps on the individual annotations are).

For knowing which annotations to sync up, the app uses a timestamp generated on the device the last time you synced, and keeps track of the modified dates of individual annotations on that device. The annotations that were modified since, according to the device clock's time, will sync up. There may be hiccups sending up annotations if the time zone or clock changes on the device before you have a chance to sync – but even if those annotations don't sync up, they should remain on the device.

That said, my experience is mainly with the iOS and Android apps – the Windows app may connect to the sync service differently.
emmaleesc

Post by emmaleesc »

I am still experiencing sync problems as noted above. I've tried to close the apps. Log in again. Still missing links and highlights from one device to the other. Is this still a bug?
davidwhipple50

Post by davidwhipple50 »

Yes... it would be nice to have someone from the church respond concerning this problem. It seems reasonable to have a "Sync" button to force a sync.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”