Gospel Library frozen, won't open

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
robertff

Re: Gospel Library frozen, won't open

Post by robertff »

My Gospel app is not working. I have plenty of memory and I've tried all the suggestions including uninstalling... Still nothing... Can you help please
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

robertff wrote:My Gospel app is not working. I have plenty of memory and I've tried all the suggestions including uninstalling... Still nothing... Can you help please
What version of iOS are you on, and what kind of device? Do you have any updates if you go to the App Store (in case it reinstalled from a backup instead of installing the newest version)? Are you connected to a good internet connection?

To clarify, are you having the problem where Gospel Library shows the launch screen with the Moroni for several seconds, then it closes – or is it freezing/crashing somewhere else in the app?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wrenchead89

Post by wrenchead89 »

We are having the same issues on galaxy note 8 and galaxy tablet goes to the moroni screen and will not go any further than that, we have tried all the suggested fixes and still will not work
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

wrenchead89 wrote:We are having the same issues on galaxy note 8 and galaxy tablet goes to the moroni screen and will not go any further than that, we have tried all the suggested fixes and still will not work
Gospel Library 5.1.1 was released yesterday, and fixes one of the most common crashes, which has to do with SD cards. Does the app still crash on launch after upgrading to 5.1.1? Did you have the app installed on an SD card?
wrenchead89

Post by wrenchead89 »

no it still does not work, it is not installed on SD card it is in phones internal storage
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The Gospel Library app opens to a blank screen for me. I can go to my bookmarks, but all of them say the content is not installed. If I select the install now option, it sometimes pretends to install, and sometimes just crashes out of the app.

I wonder if I have corrupted the database by trying to download the 2012 General Conference which will only partially load.

GL 5.1.1 on Android 8.0.0 and a Motorola Moto g6 phone.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:The Gospel Library app opens to a blank screen for me. I can go to my bookmarks, but all of them say the content is not installed. If I select the install now option, it sometimes pretends to install, and sometimes just crashes out of the app.
What happens if you switch to a different language, then back to English – does the content load?
Have you tried pulling down on the main library screen to force it to check for content updates?
lajackson wrote:I wonder if I have corrupted the database by trying to download the 2012 General Conference which will only partially load.
It's possible that the database could get corrupted if something unusual happened while content was being installed. I'm not having trouble installing the April or October 2012 general conference.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

My problems all started because we used an October 2012 conference talk in priesthood meeting. It did not seem to be completely downloaded. I have had problems with that particular item before (and reported it through the app but never received a response).

The contents listed the talks, but there was only one picture. When I clicked on the talk with the picture, the app crashed. When I restarted it, the main screen was blank.
sbradshaw wrote:What happens if you switch to a different language, then back to English – does the content load?
I did not try that.
sbradshaw wrote:Have you tried pulling down on the main library screen to force it to check for content updates?
Yes. The download arrow flashed (I almost did not notice it) and the circle rotated once or twice, and then nothing. The main page was still blank. I did this several times with the same result.

Because the menu frame was there, I clicked on Bookmarks, selected one of them and was asked if i wanted to download the item (an interesting option for a bookmarked item -- it should already have been there). I said yes. Nothing seemed to happen and I was returned to the main (still blank) screen. I selected Bookmarks again and clicked on a different one, with the same result.

I selected the three-dot menu and Settings and noticed that I had a new version of GL.

I went back to Bookmarks and selected one pointed toward the Scriptures. This time I received a message asking something like if I wanted to load the English language. I said yes. In a few seconds (probably five) I was returned to the Main library screen and it appeared normal.

I went to several bookmarks and was asked again if I wished to download the item. I said yes each time and they seemed to download.

I went back through the Main screen to several areas (Scriptures, General Conference, Come, Follow Me, Magazines) and did the pull-down. In each case the app said there were two items that needed to be downloaded, and I selected Download All. In Magazines I only downloaded Ensigns, and the app said that (wait for it . . .) there were two of them, which rated another Download All.

Then I went back through each area from the Main screen and download other individual items that had not downloaded using any of the Download All methods. I was at home after Church now, and I was simply amusing myself, knowing that I have downloaded all of these things many times before, and that most of them had bookmarks pointing to them. Nothing I use should have been missing. It was like playing a video game and searching for lost treasure, but at least everything was listed on the Contents pages.

Everything now seems to be working normally.

So in my case the problem was that I needed to download "English". But I never got a prompt to do so until I had rummaged around unsuccessfully for quite some time and finally sent feedback. (I wonder if the app actually sent the feedback. There usually is a copy in the Sent folder of my email client, but nothing is there.)

I guess switching languages would have forced "English" to download and may have solved my problem. But I am not really familiar with the three-dot menu and did not remember there was an option there to do it.

A final note. I am very happy that Bookmarks sync so well. Because of what I have read, I do not use notes or annotations or links or highlighting. I realize that Bookmarks seem to sync with all of those other things, but those other things seem to go missing too often for my liking.

My Bookmarks are always there.

Sorry for such a long post, but perhaps I accidentally mentioned something that may be of assistance to those of you who know the internal workings of the app. And thank you for what you do.

GL 5.1.1 (50414.23), Catalog English v353
Android 8.0.0, Motorola Moto g6
RoryLMann

Post by RoryLMann »

I just bought a new Kindle Fire and am having the same issue when trying to open the Gospel Library. I've installed, uninstalled, rebooted, several times. Every time its tried to load it goes about 50% and then turns off. Any other guidance or help?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RoryLMann wrote:I just bought a new Kindle Fire and am having the same issue
I would start with this post in the Android section, then look at other posts that discuss the Kindle Fire.

The key seems to be that you need a current enough operating system and the latest version of Gospel Library to make it work. The Kindle Fire seems to use a different version of Android that affects its ability to run GL.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”