Possibility of exporting data.

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
ejehlers

Possibility of exporting data.

Post by ejehlers »

For a very long time I have used the app (4.2.3.2) on a Kindle Fire (OS 7.5.1). It has not been able to update for some time (the device itself is around 8 years old, I think). For the last 8 months or more, it has also stopped syncing my notes and highlights (though I did not notice it for a few months).

It still displays my user name. I have gone to reenter my password like I can on my phone -- but when I tap my name in the Kindle, it only asks if I would like to log out; it does not ask for a new password.

Because of this, I am concerned that logging out will remove the last 8 months of notes, which will never be recoverable.

Is there a way to access the content and references of these notes so they can be copied to another device or is this going to require I copy and paste the info into an email or something?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Possibility of exporting data.

Post by lajackson »

ejehlers wrote:Is there a way to access the content and references of these notes so they can be copied to another device or is this going to require I copy and paste the info into an email or something?
Your notes should have been syncing to the Church website. If you go there, you will be able to see which one have. Those notes will sync to a new device once you sign in.

If you have notes more recently than the last time you were able to sync, you will have to manually transfer them to a new device, where they should then sync with the servers at church headquarters and be available to any other device once you sign in,
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You can share individual notes using the context menu on the card for each note – but there's no way to export data in bulk, or preserve links between notes and content, without being able to sync.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
TorySAnderson

Post by TorySAnderson »

Above it was said that there's no way to export content. Is there any way this is going to change? In particular, I've stopped taking many notes on my devices because 1) I don't know if they are mine and if I can keep/use them myself, and 2) I don't know what security and longevity guarantees the app/church makes for my content. In the future, Will my content be confiscated like some Amazon books? Does the church claim ownership of my note like IMDb does film reviews or Facebook does user activity? If I treat my notes as sacred and personal, what if they are hacked? As a technologist, each of these concerns has led to my using the app in only the most superficial, read-only sense.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”