Picture Labels in the Audio File Player

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
tiffanylong

Picture Labels in the Audio File Player

Post by tiffanylong »

Hi. My name is Tiffany and I'm on this forum for the first time, so I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I've used Gospel Library ap on Android for several years and have seen some improvements. One thing that has always annoyed me is the "button 76" phrase. Let me explain.

I'm legally blind and am relatively functional with using the accessibility features package on my phone. When I swipe through a menu, my phone turns text to speech and reads the menu item text to me. I can select to listen to , for example, the first chapter of the Book of Ether by selecting to go into Gospel Library, then selecting Scriptures, then selecting The Book of Mormon, then selecting Ether, then selecting number 1. This brings up the text for the chapter. Then I can have my phone read text to speech for the content of the chapter, or I can get a better experience by accessibg and listening to the audio file (which I adore!) Selecting the audio recording involves finding the right button which does not seem to appear in any menu which might or not be an image of headphones. (This button does not have an accessible label and I don't even know if it shows up on any menu). Then, once I access the audio file, There's a pretty iconic player that comes up at the bottom of the screen which includes buttons to go to the previous chapter, reward a few seconds, play/pause, fast forward a few seconds, and skip to the next chapter. Below these 5 buttons is a slider and a percentage.

These 5 buttons do not have labels. My phone reads them as "button 5, button 20" etc. They're never the same numbers from one experience to the next session. They seem to be unlabelled and the compiler just gives them a name at random or depending on something unrelated to their function. It should not be diffult for the "headphones" button that brings up this player or the 5 buttons on the player to have labels attached to them. How easy is this to accomplish? It seems like they just need "Alternative text" attached to their code. Is this a change needed in android or in gospel library app for android?

The way I've used the app for the last several years is that the buttons are always in the same place on my screen and also always in the same order. But now I'm trying to help someone else learn how to do it the way I do it, and he can't see as much and is not as intuitive or tech-inclined.

Any thoughts? Is this on the list of improvements I can hope for yet?

Thanks
Tiffany
AngelJedi

Re: Picture Labels in the Audio File Player

Post by AngelJedi »

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

The audio buttons will be fixed in the next update, and we will go through the rest of the app to make sure we don't have the same problem somewhere else for a later release.

It also appears that the play audio button (with the headphones) does not seem to always appear properly when entering content using this accessibility feature. If you cannot find the button, you might want to either scroll slightly down and back up, or use the more options button in the upper right, where there is a play audio option.

Are there any other places or other improvements we could make to create a better accessibility experience in Gospel Library?

Thanks,
Brett
Android Developer
tiffanylong

Post by tiffanylong »

Thank you thank you!!!

I've implemented the scroll down then back up mechanism for a while now ;) It works unfailingly but I only found the menu option a couple of weeks ago

There are some other "button unbabelled" items in the magazines ... for example, I'll select magazines in gospel library and then swipe through the list and between each selection is "button unlabelled" and i'll select new era which also has one associated with it. Then i'llselect "january 2018" which also has a "button unbalelled" associated wiith it. I've never bothered to wonder what these are, if they're like a "download all" option, or something else? maybe a "add to favorites"? or I don't know what... Interestingly, notes and study plans don't have a "button unlabelled" associated with them but scriptures, gen conference, and music and magazines do... I don't know if these are all one same button or not...

Also, low on the list of concerns, is the slider on the audio player... it might be more of a cunction of my phone, but I cannot get the slider to go anywhere other than 50%. This may be a function of my phone's accessibility features, I don't know...

These are all low on my list of concerns, but might be helpful for others.. again, I've managed without them for years but am trying now to help a friend who is able to see less than me and is less inclined to troubleshoot independently. ;)

I know it's a much bigger leap than the labelling of buttons, but do you have advice for an apple user who is dependent on voice over?
Thank you for such a rapid and life-bettering improvement! :)
Tiffany
tiffanylong

Post by tiffanylong »

Thanks. Would you happen to know anyone on the apple team or if there's an apple page like this android page? (I've never used an apple but have a friend who sees less and uses only an iphone)
Thanks
Tiffany
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tiffanylong wrote:Would you happen to know anyone on the apple team or if there's an apple page like this android page?
I do not know anyone on the team, but the Forum page is at Gospel Library > iPhone/iPad Gospel Library. The best way to get information to the actual team is through the various Feedback methods.
AngelJedi

Post by AngelJedi »

Thanks again for the feedback.

The unlabelled button in the magazines appears to be the pop-up menu that allows you to download/remove an item, download all/remove all in a collection (such as all New Era magazines), add items to a custom list, or create a study plan. I added it to our list to fix when we do a larger pass on trying to improve accessibility in the next few months. That button exists on every item where you can select content/books and is probably the same one for scriptures, general conference, etc.

Also, there is an issue with the accessibility features that is preventing the audio bar from going past 50%. I will take a look at the issue and see if I can find a solution to get it to work better for you.

If you have any other issues or suggestions please feel free to continue posting them here as we have dedicated time to improve accessibility features in the app over the next few months and I would love to make using the app a better experience for you and others.

Thank you,
Brett
Android Developer

Return to “Android Gospel Library”