Unable to open or download content to Gospel Library

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
fredbloem

Unable to open or download content to Gospel Library

Post by fredbloem »

I got a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 earlier this month. Initially, I was able to install Gospel Library without any problems and view most of the content.. However, this week I decided to uninstall and reinstall because I was not able to download the Come Follow Me 2019 information.

Now I am able to install Gospel Library, but when I try to open it, the progress bar will get stuck at less than one third (the bar stays at one millimeter left to the words "Updating Gospel Library") and the app never fully opens. Instead, after hanging for 10-15 minutes I get the following message:

"Gospel Library
Failed to download Catalog.
Check your internet connection and try again."

It doesn't work, neither with Wi-Fi nor with mobile data.

Needless to say that I don't have any problems with any other apps on this device.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Unable to open or download content to Gospel Library

Post by sbradshaw »

It sounds like there's something blocking the connection to the Church's content servers. Do you have any filtering apps or services turned on?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

I don't believe so. It doesn't work whether I use Wi-Fi or mobile data. Incidentally, I'm not able to install the LDS Music app on my Note 9 either. I've had no problems installing the Gospel Library app on our iPad, iPhone, Galaxy S5, and Galaxy Note 4.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Sometimes content filtering is done by the Wi-Fi network (several consumer services exist) or the cellular network (T-Mobile Web Guard, etc.), but sometimes it's a third-party app you have installed for blocking ads, filtering, or security (such as a VPN). Those kinds of apps are more prevalent on Android, because Android allows third-party apps deeper access to the system than iOS does.

If not that, have you disabled, or do you have any updates to, Android or any of the Android system apps – in particular, Google Play Services, Chrome (or Android System WebView, if you don't use Chrome), or the Android Download Manager?

Are you able to access Church content in a web browser on that device? For example, you could try LDS.org or a scripture audio file.

Do you have the app installed on an SD card, or regular storage?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

I'm not aware of any third-party app that I have installed for blocking apps, filtering, or security. That's a good suggestion, so I'll keep looking.

As far as I can tell my Android and all apps are to to date to the latest version. I have not disabled any of them.

Yes, I am able to view Church content in a web browser like Chrome and I'm able to download the scripture audio file that you included in your message.

Gospel Library is currently installed in internal storage but I also tried changing it to the SD card. I have tried clearing data and clearing cache. I enabled app permissions to use the microphone and storage.
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

After looking through the reviews in the Play Store I have come to the conclusion that I'm not the only one who is experiencing this problem and that the problem is somewhat specific to Galaxy Note 9 users. See the attached screenshot. I haven't had any problem downloading any of the other LDS apps like LDS Tools, etc. I only have difficulty downloading content for the Gospel Library app and the LDS Music app.

I also contacted the Church through the email address provided in The Play Store but they have not been able to provide any helpful advice so far.
Attachments
Screenshot_20181221-001239_Google Play Store.jpg
Review of Gospel Library app in Play Store
(364.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

Something must happened when the Gospel Library app was updated on November 6, 2018. See screenshots of the many complaints that look like they describe exactly what I've been experiencing.
Attachments
Screenshot_20181221-001251_Google Play Store.jpg
(362.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20181221-001314_Google Play Store.jpg
(480.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20181221-001428_Google Play Store.jpg
(401.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20181221-001537_Google Play Store.jpg
(376.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20181221-001620_Google Play Store.jpg
(531.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20181221-001806_Google Play Store.jpg
(389.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! After uninstalling the "1.1.1.1: Faster & Safer Internet" app from my Galaxy Note 9 I was able to both install and download content for the Gospel Library and the LDS Music app. It is a DNS resolver.
ronin718

Post by ronin718 »

It's not limited to the Note 9. My wife has an old Galaxy Tab S and can't download the CFM curriculum, and I had similar problems with my Galaxy S7 and then it finally loaded. Constantly getting "check your internet connection", and there's no problem there as I can function elsewhere on the Tab S.
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

Considering that I was able to solve the problem by uninstalling an app, you most likely have an app on your devices that prevent you from downloading the CFM curriculum.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”