Search Function not working

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
lloydrbrown

Search Function not working

Post by lloydrbrown »

The search function on version 4.0.3.10 android version does not give me a straight arrow pointing to the right to start the search, only the carriage return bent arrow pointing to the left. What am I missing to start the search?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Search Function not working

Post by lajackson »

When I press Return (bent arrow pointing left), the search begins.

(Moderator note: I moved this topic to the Android area.)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you're using a Google keyboard (as opposed to Samsung, SwiftKey, etc.), pressing Enter will create a new line in the search box instead of initiating the search. The developers are expediting a fix and it's in beta now (hopefully to be released as an update on Monday). In the meantime, switching to a different keyboard should allow you to search.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

You are not alone.
Having same issue
shortcrane

Post by shortcrane »

Help! I am having the same problem with my galaxy 5 tablet. Starting couple of days ago, my earch function will only bring up the topical guide content, and hitting the return key clears my search screen. My pretty good family techies are likewise baffled. Reinstalling the app solved nothing.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:If you're using a Google keyboard (as opposed to Samsung, SwiftKey, etc.), pressing Enter will create a new line in the search box instead of initiating the search. The developers are expediting a fix . . .
Don't you just love it? But I cannot, for the life of me, think of why I would ever want to enter a second line of information in the search box. [grin]

But you are right. A return is not a return, I learned way back in my CP/M days of 0A 0D. Or was it 0D 0A? On manual typewriters, the Line Feed always came before the Carriage Return, unless the ratchet slipped because you were typing too fast.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote: I cannot, for the life of me, think of why I would ever want to enter a second line of information in the search box. [grin]
Neither can anyone else. That's why it is correctly being treated as a bug to be fixed promptly.
lajackson wrote:But you are right. A return is not a return, I learned way back in my CP/M days of 0A 0D. Or was it 0D 0A? On manual typewriters, the Line Feed always came before the Carriage Return, unless the ratchet slipped because you were typing too fast.
The difference between CR and LF (when you have both, it's in CRLF or 0D 0A order) is a fascinating topic (but not for the vast majority of the public) that is not particularly relevant to the topic at hand.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library 4.0.4 is now available on Google Play and will soon be available on the Amazon Appstore! (The only visible change is fixing this search bug for Google keyboards.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Thanks for fixing the search function. It is working for me now!

Return to “Android Gospel Library”