"Cast to a nearby device" issue

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jcotys

Re: "Cast to a nearby device" issue

Post by jcotys »

how do you get to google settings--google cast? I can not see that any where.
amanda7884

Post by amanda7884 »

Same trouble here. I've tried just about everything. Google play services delivers the popup, but this only happens in Gospel Library, so not sure who the culprit is. I'm leaning towards blaming it on the gospel library update, though. I didn't care for the update. Regardless, this popup makes the app useless, as I can't navigate anywhere in the library while the popup is there. I keep closing it, and up it comes two seconds later. I'll try going in airplane mode, like others suggest. Hopefully a fix will come soon!
ThomasLDS01

Post by ThomasLDS01 »

If you go to settings, scroll down, click on Google, then their should be an option in there for Google cast.

Fixed it on my Samsung galaxy a10 tab.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jcotys wrote:how do you get to google settings--google cast? I can not see that any where.
Go to you're phone's settings. It may be on your home screen, or you may have to go to the screen that shows every app on your phone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This issue is fixed in Gospel Library Android 4.0.3, which should be available early next week. It's caused by the newest 25.1.1 Google support library for Chromecast. Google hasn't fixed it on their end yet, so for Gospel Library 4.0.3 the developers rolled the support library back to 25.0.1.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ThomasLDS01

Post by ThomasLDS01 »

Just had the 4.03.1 Beta come through and it's fixed the bug, have turned my cast back on with no issues. :)
dezertol

Post by dezertol »

sbradshaw wrote:This problem isn't limited to Gospel Library – it has popped up for other apps that support Chromecast as well, and has to do with the latest Google support libraries that are bundled in the app. I haven't seen the problem myself, but I've heard that disabling Bluetooth might stop the popup, while the developers are working on a fix. (Bluetooth is one of the things that gets disabled when you turn on airplane mode.)

I just tested disabling bluetooth to not avail, it continues to prompt and prompt and prompt. So far this is the only app I have that has this problem and it only happens near my daughters bedroom, (I think the next door neighbors have a chromcast device)... makes reading scriptures at bed time a pain..

Also looking for some kind of hack/work around.
cicook

Post by cicook »

Well, I thought that I had fixed the problem on my Android device by going to "Google Settings", clicked on "Google Cast", and disabling it. But the problem reappeared a day later even though Google Cast was disabled. It seems like it eventually stops trying to cast to a nearby device after several minutes. But that is not acceptable. We need a way to disable it up front. This very well may be a bug the developers need to fix. Sorry for raising any hopes. :-(
falkon

Post by falkon »

Do you have a Chromecast? Have you disabled guest more on it?
dbutler

Post by dbutler »

I am having the same issue on Galaxy S5. I reinstalled Gospel Library and thought it fixed it but no it started again. Just crashing like crazy. So I went the other route and uninstalled Google Home, formerly Chromecast. To my surprise it cast it again! Don't know how that happened! I have no other Apps that cast themselves without my initiation. Bery very frustrating. Thanks for the airplane mode tip.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”