move content to ext sd card.

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
Lionheart

Re: Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Post by Lionheart »

There is something I would love to have church software for the Droid. it would be great if we could save the data all for the software on our removable SD cards. it would free up memory on our phones. Just have the program on the phone and the data on the SD card.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I moved this post to the existing topic for this issue.]
Lionheart wrote:it would be great if we could save the data all for the software on our removable SD cards. it would free up memory on our phones. Just have the program on the phone and the data on the SD card.
Your question is answered in detail in the previous post in this topic. Read that and you'll see that the application already works as you suggest (but with a couple of important points you need to be aware of).
dsrollins

Re: move content to ext sd card.

Post by dsrollins »

I have this issue also. I can't get the app to see the gospel-library folder when moved to the SD card. Moving the app to the SD card doesn't help. Deleting the app and reinstalling, then moving the app to the SD card before creating the database for the first time doesn't help either. It seems we need a developer to let us move the database to the SD card and still have the App recognize where it has been moved. Or allow us to designate which storage should house the database upon installation.

I have plenty of space on my SD card, several gig of open memory. I had only 19 MB left on my USB memory which was causing many issues.

So I deleted all the media in the gospel library and will have to download one file at a time as I need it and then only use it when I am somewhere I can download.

I would LOVE to have all the media files to listen to scriptures and conference talks any time or place. But I can't.

Any help? Thanks!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dsrollins wrote:I can't get the app to see the gospel-library folder when moved to the SD card.
How are you moving Gospel Library to the SD card? When I move it I use the Manage Apps feature and select the "On SD card" icon at the top of the window to see all apps than can be moved to the SD card. I then select the checkbox to the right of Gospel Library to have it moved to the SD card.

Gospel Library can also be moved to the SD card by selecting Manage Apps then touching Gospel Library and then touching the "Move to SD card" button.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

We have found that some manufacturers, Samsung being the most notable, have deviated from the standard convention of how they name their internal memory on their devices. The app checks with the Android OS to determine what is external memory (usually indicated by a label starting with "sdcard") and then installs the database to the location that was reported as external memory if it is available. Samsung labels their internal memory as "sdcard0" which is interpreted as being external memory.

Because of this labeling convention, the app will install the database to Samsung devices internal memory. It is not configurable in the app and manually moving the database from internal to external memory will just be interpreted by the app as having no database on the device and a new one will be created.

We are unable to fix this issue right away but will address it in a future version. It will likely involve allowing a user to select where to install the database when the app is first installed which adds some complexity for the app and for users. We are sorry that we can't provide a fix right away but we will get one.
Jason Hyer
fehljam

Post by fehljam »

I would like to know if this has been looked into anymore recently? Or if it is a planned update.
I had a smart phone with Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread and it would allow you to move apps and content to the SD card in the applications menu – which was nice because I have a 16GB SD card with plenty of space. I have now upgraded to a smart phone with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and apparently they (Google?) have taken away that ability to move apps to the SD card in the application menu. I’m not sure why Android has taken that ability away, but from the research I have been able to do, it seems to be the case; much to the frustration to people with limited internal space on their phone yet have huge SD cards with plenty of space just sitting there.
What I would like to know is if the Gospel Library app can be updated such that the downloaded content can be saved to the external SD card? Such as a menu option to tell it the path to save to. I have Gospel Library 3.0.1.2 currently. I am quite confident something like this can be set up/programed because I have another app for topological maps (for hiking) that you can tell it where to cashe the map tiles/graphics to.
In my particular case, Gospel Library is currently storing all content to a gospel-library directory under the path /storage/sdcard0/gospel-library, but I would like to be able to give it the path to my external SD card which would be /storage/external_SD/gospel-library for example.
Some people claim that moving/storing content to the SD card slows down the app, however I don’t fully believe that and even if that were true I’d prefer to be able to have the content rather than not have the content available because my internal memory is full and I can’t store anything additional.
Also you may be able to move apps/content to SD card if you root your phone, but that is potentially dangerous and since other apps can store downloaded content to the SD, I think that it should be possible for Gospel Library to do the same.
Thank you for creating and supporting a great and useful app. I’d just like to see this option to be able to tell it where to store content (e.g. the SD card), the app itself can stay on the internal memory as it is only like 16MB. My downloaded content is over 150MB and I’d like to free that up internally and moved to the SD card.
I hope this makes sense? Please ask for clarification if not or let me know if this in on the road map/plan for future updates.
I hope this has not been asked and answered in another place, it seems like it would have been a common question, but I didn’t find anything additional searching.
Thanks again.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

The answer to your question is in the post just before yours. I'm guessing that you probably have a Samsung device (though a few others do it also) where they don't follow standard naming convention for external storage. The developers have something planned to make it easier to save to external storage but not sure when it is planned for.

Also to get a response from the development team you should use the feedback option in the help of the app as the developers may or may not read these posts.
fehljam

Post by fehljam »

Thank you for the reply. I was unsure if the post above mine fully answered the question or if further work had taken place since last August - in particular with the new release.
My device is an LG, so it sounds like more manufactures are going away from standard naming convention for external storage - which would be more reason to make it customizable. But I understand that requires additional programing.
I thought this forum and the feedback option in the help of the app were one in the same. I will perhaps use that feedback to get to the developers - though my post was quite long for feedback. :)
Thanks again.
nathan3700

Post by nathan3700 »

This thread indicates that there were plans to have the scripture app eventually allow the user to hand-select an external SD card. I have a Motorola Moto-E with the latest scripture app. The external SD card is known as sdcard1. The internal storage is known as sdcard0. The scripture app (latest download as of 3/3/2015) does not allow me to force downloads to go to sdcard1. It is putting all content on sdcard0. Thus, I'm going to be running out of space when I try to listen to media files. I bought a new phone recently so I could get the "move to SD card" feature, but now I realize that option refers to the location of the application code, not the application data. But it is the application data that is space consuming. With the rich content available, but with so many of us using budget phones without a lot of internal data space, I would hope fixing this would be a priority.
fehljam

Post by fehljam »

Nathan2209,
I completely agree with you. I do not understand the reason this hasn't been given higher priority. There are many apps out there that have an option in the setting that allow the user to select where to store data to. It would be nice to point to the external space.
Since my posting (over a year ago), I have rooted my phone, made a second partition on my external SD card, and used the app called Link2SD to move data. This may be a solution for you IF (?) you want to / willing to root your phone. The only reason I rooted was to gain the ability to store data onto the external SD card.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”