Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
Bugzuki

Re: Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Post by Bugzuki »

There are a lot of great suggestions.

Personally I would love to be able to write a talk or prepare a lesson on my tablet directly in the Gospel Library app. I would like to include bookmarks that pulled up the scripture/article in the right column like the footnotes do currently.

It would be nice if the note/journal edit box was bigger.

I know some of that was probably already covered. I just wanted to second it.
karlifullmer

Post by karlifullmer »

also....i've used the reveal reader app (yanceyware back in the day) for a long time and have loved the format....one thing i miss is page numbering in the gospel library app that corresponds with the page number of the physical book....
so when a teacher says "can some read the first paragraph on page 203?" we can see where pg. 203 begins and even in the reveal at the begining of an individual lesson it would have the page numbers that would jump you to that page. it all helps to keep you following along and literally "on the same page" as everyone with a physical book.
tylerpittson

Post by tylerpittson »

I think the ability to share a scripture or note would be nice. Maybe via link or something.
tambur8

Post by tambur8 »

I am just starting to really use the full functions of the gospel library and I am really enjoying this app. I was wondering if there are plans to have more color options when it comes to
underlining scriptures? It would make coding my scriptures much easier.
Thanks so much!!
Tammy
steven.ford

Multiple Highlighting Trick

Post by steven.ford »

I have found a way to do multiple highlights. First highlight the entire section that covers the area for the overall topic. Second, press and hold the area outside the sighted area, just to the left or right of the specific line or word you wish to set an additional highlight for. Third, configure the additional highlight by using the color options at the bottom of the screen.

The additional highlights show up in the order of most recent on the top. ;)
TBMonsen

Post by TBMonsen »

I have this app on a few devices, and love it, but it would be greatly appreciated if we could make annotations in all the manuals and guides. I teach in the Teachers Quorum, and cannot make any annotations in the manual Youth: Come Follow Me. I've noticed that there are a number of other books which don't allow annotations as well.
I hope this is something that can be changed, but I will continue to use this app no matter what.
Huhenyo

Post by Huhenyo »

Thank you all for the hard work on this app. It is truely great. One suggestion I have is that of being able to hightlight, link, tag, etc., chaper headings. For instance, I would like to link the heading in the book of Matthew "The Gospel According to St. Matthew" to the Bible Dictionary "gospels" where it talks about what it appears was Matthew's intention in writting his gospel. Currently I can't create a link unless it is something that is not part of the chapter heading or summary. I don't want to link this to a specific verse, but rather to the whole book of Matthew, which to me would be the book heading. Hope this is a valuable suggestion.

Thank you again. I love the app, and I'm very appreciative that the ability to link is available even if we can't link to the chapter headings yet. It is a valuable tool.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

TBMonsen wrote:it would be greatly appreciated if we could make annotations in all the manuals and guides.
Huhenyo wrote:One suggestion I have is that of being able to highlight, link, tag, etc., chapter headings... Currently I can't create a link unless it is something that is not part of the chapter heading or summary.
In order to allow annotations to sync between mobile device content and LDS.org, each section of content must contain a unique identifier called a URI. When the content was created on LDS.org most content was given URI's but there were some exceptions, such as chapter headings, chapter summaries, bulleted lists and some other miscellaneous content. The mobile library content requires the same URI's in order to be able to sync the annotations to the correct spots in other mobile devices and on LDS.org. We couldn't assign URI's to content that didn't already have them in other platforms.

Because of the missing URI's in some content, that content cannot be highlighted or have notes associated with it. We are aware that this is a problem and have the mobile and LDS.org content teams working on a strategy to resolve the problem. Due to the scope of the change to fix all of the content though, the solution will not be simple and will require a lot of coordination to make it work.

We don't know how or when this will be fixed but hopefully it helps you understand why all content can't be annotated in Gospel Library or on LDS.org.
Last edited by jasonhyer on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason Hyer
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

tambur8 wrote:I was wondering if there are plans to have more color options when it comes to underlining scriptures?
Because we sync highlighting with LDS.org, we are limited in the number of colors that we can offer by the number of colors that are available on LDS.org. If at some point more colors become available to highlight in on LDS.org, we will include those colors in Gospel Library.
Jason Hyer
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

karlifullmer wrote:one thing i miss is page numbering in the gospel library app that corresponds with the page number of the physical book.
Unfortunately adding page numbers to the mobile content is a very manual process that requires much more time and effort that we can currently give. We have added page numbering to the last couple of the Teachings of the Prophets manuals but just don't have the resources to do more. If we find a way to automate the process we will definitely add more page numbers.

As more people begin to use the mobile formats of the scriptures and other content, we will need to work with instructors to find ways to help those with and without paper copies of the material better so all can fully participate. Though this isn't going to be easy, if we try, it can work for all no matter what format they content is in.
Jason Hyer

Return to “Android Gospel Library”