Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
Jesus.ane97@gmail.com

Re: Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Post by Jesus.ane97@gmail.com »

You guys should add a feature where you can see all the scriptures from a certain tag. Sometimes I want to find a scripture about baptism, so it would be easier to click tags and click on baptism and have all the scriptures I have tagged "Baptism". Thanks!
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

You can. From the Library page select Notes, then tags and click on your tag and it will show all the references you have tagged.
mrbright

Re: Gospel Library Ideas/Suggestions

Post by mrbright »

I would love to see a feature where we can add specific study topics. Let me provide an example.

Elder Bednar counseled with our Stake President, to take a copy of the Book of Mormon, and with one idea, read through highlighting each point. Then at the end, write a page summary about what you learned. Label the binding with the topic and place the page and book on the shelf. Keep doing this.

So, if we could provide context for our highlighting notes, that way we can start a fresh with highlighting and such. That would be great!

Thanks!
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

mrbright,

While this doesn't help you on Android, if you have access to a device running Windows 10, Gospel Library for Windows does offer a comparable feature in its Visible Notebooks feature. Basically, you can create a notebook for your studies (let's say you called it "First Read: Hope") and set it as your default notebook. You could then go through The Book of Mormon, mark, tag, link, and note to your heart's content, then when you finished, you could "put it on the shelf" by turning off the notebook. You could then create new notebook for the next round (perhaps Second Read: Atonement), set it as your default and continue as though you had a fresh copy of the Book of Mormon. If ever you wanted to see your notes from whichever read through, you'd simply turn the notebook back on in Visible Notebooks.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
mrbright

Post by mrbright »

ToManyLetters,

I am running on iOS, apple. I would love to see something like that hit the iOS platform. Thank you for letting me know about the windows platform.
isaachwells

Post by isaachwells »

Hello!

Someone noted in Sunday School today that you can click on words to define them in the gospel library app. This is super helpful, and much appreciated, but I noticed it just takes you to a Google search of 'define word', with word here standing for the word in question. In some of my institute classes the teacher has had us use a 19th century dictionary to look up words for the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants, and that has provided some good insights, since the meaning of some words have evolved even in the last 200 hundred years. So it might be good to look at having the definition feature go to a definition source that's contemporary to the source of the text rather than to a modern definition.
jhell3

Post by jhell3 »

I would really like to have a translate button like the define button. That way i would be able to quickly know what a word in spanish
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jhell3 wrote:I would really like to have a translate button like the define button. That way i would be able to quickly know what a word in spanish
I'd recommend sending this as a feature request using the Send Feedback button in Gospel Library settings. It's a good idea – though it would need to be done in a way that doesn't clutter the UI too much for users reading in their native language.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scribner

Post by scribner »

Hi,

I have used gospel library for many years and I have hundreds of tags, highlights, links and notes throughout my english scriptures. I also likr to study my spanish scriptures, but it would be nice if I could copy my tags, etc. from my English to my Spanish books and manuals...

Thanks,

Russ
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

scribner wrote:Hi,

I have used gospel library for many years and I have hundreds of tags, highlights, links and notes throughout my english scriptures. I also likr to study my spanish scriptures, but it would be nice if I could copy my tags, etc. from my English to my Spanish books and manuals...

Thanks,

Russ
Notes, notebooks, tags, and bookmarks are independent of language, and can be found under the Notes section of the app no matter which content language you're in. However, highlights and links are tied to specific pieces of content, in specific languages. With current technology, there's no way for the app to translate between languages at the highlight level – for example, if you have "I, Nephi, said unto my father" highlighted in English, the app would have to translate on the fly and know what the equivalent phrase is in Spanish so it could highlight the same phrase in Spanish. It won't be words 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 in the paragraph like it is in English. The word you highlight might not even exist in the translation (for example, the word "came" in "it came to pass" doesn't exist in the Spanish translation). I'll bet it will be possible to do a close approximation 5–10 years down the road, but currently it's not feasible.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”