Highlight Lesson Content in bullet points

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
cdw3423lds

Highlight Lesson Content in bullet points

Post by cdw3423lds »

I have noticed that I can not highlight the content from certain parts of Lessons. Generally each lesson is divided into numbered sections. At the top of each numbered section is one or more paragraphs that can all be highlighted fine. Then there is normally a few bullet point items. I can not highlight the content that is in any of the bullet points. I have viewed the source and it seems that all of the paragraphs I can highlight are in a div tag with the id and uri attributes set like such .... id="p14" uri="/manual/book-of-mormon. . . ./lesson-3-the-vision-of-the-tree-of-life.p14"

The content in the bullet points are a div inside an li and the only attribute set in that div is class="para".

If I use an sqlite editor to edit the content and add the id and uri attributes, I can then highlight content in that bullet point. but as you might have guessed that is a lot of work. I could probably write some code to search for all divs with a class of para and add an ID and uri tag to them but that is also a bit of work.

Any chance of this being fixed any time soon? Also does it have to have that long uri tag or will just giving it a unique ID do the trick?

Chris Woodhouse
DickamoreNJ

Post by DickamoreNJ »

We have a requirement that no matter what platform you are on (Web Browser, Android, iOS, Blackberry, WebOS, etc.) that the highlighting and annotations will all be the same and can even be synced between platforms. Unfortunately, this goal also creates restrictions for us as well. We need to have an identifier that can be shared between platforms that allows us to know where an annotation begins and ends within the content. There were a few options laid out on the table, including a unique ID or GUID, but ultimately it came down to the fact that LDS.org had URI's already in place. So for now we are limited to allowing annotations only to the content that has a URI on it. Our hope is that those who are over our content will extend the allocation of URI's to include list elements, headers, titles, etc., but it still remains a hope. There is currently a huge undertaking to rework all of our content, including all available languages, with the necessary values as soon as possible. As of right now I do not know when this will all come to fruition, but hopefully within a year.

Nathan Dickamore
Senior Software Engineer
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
hansene2

Re: Highlight Lesson Content in bullet points

Post by hansene2 »

Any updates on the progress of this? Being able to highlight content in bullet points would be really helpful. Keep up the great work. It is really appreciated.
pellingson

Post by pellingson »

Chris.....thanks for your reply. Since it would save me printing and handwriting notes, it may be worth the effort for me to be able to highlight the parts I want. I am not familiar with all the tech talk you used to describe how to do this. I am a bit of a novice. If it is fairly easy, can you please let me know how I could add the things needed for me to do that?

Thanks
amajeske

Post by amajeske »

I hope this is fixed soon. Primary kids doing faith in God have no electronic way to track their progress. The youth have online tracking available. Absent of this I was hoping to teach them that they could login to their lds account and highlight the ones that they have completed. They could also write journal entries and link them. I know it all takes time and I hope it moves along soon.
rexmyer

Post by rexmyer »

I wanted to wake this one up again by indicating my strong interest in this being fixed. I believe there are many who are also very interested in this. I can at least say I want this to be a higher priority than what it currently appears to be.
toddlinsley

Post by toddlinsley »

Can't unhighlight a mistaken highlight. Help!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

toddlinsley wrote:Can't unhighlight a mistaken highlight. Help!
There is a box in the right margin for the highlight. Tap that box. Then select the trashcan in the menu at the bottom of the page.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
cheryledstrom

Post by cheryledstrom »

To get back to the original question in this thread, this has been a frustration of mine for a number of years. I understand that this is a largely volunteer undertaking, and I truly appreciate all of the effort spent in bringing Gospel Library app to the world.

I live with a bunch of geeks that understand coding, but I do not. However, I wonder if a simple fix is possible: just remove the "bulleting" format from lesson manuals?

It is is seriously so frustrating that nearly all content in lesson manuals is bulleted, which makes it impossible to annotate at all, not just highlight.

Again, I truly appreciate all of the work involved in this, and hope that a simple fix is possible.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cheryledstrom wrote:To get back to the original question in this thread, this has been a frustration of mine for a number of years. I understand that this is a largely volunteer undertaking, and I truly appreciate all of the effort spent in bringing Gospel Library app to the world.

I live with a bunch of geeks that understand coding, but I do not. However, I wonder if a simple fix is possible: just remove the "bulleting" format from lesson manuals?

It is is seriously so frustrating that nearly all content in lesson manuals is bulleted, which makes it impossible to annotate at all, not just highlight.

Again, I truly appreciate all of the work involved in this, and hope that a simple fix is possible.
A simple fix is not really the answer. But fortunately, a comprehensive solution is on its way. See this post.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”