New Idea - Split screen

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
aaronnpny

New Idea - Split screen

Post by aaronnpny »

Having a split screen to view several scriptures/books at the same time. How often does the daily reading's place get lost when studying something else. It would be nice to have a split screen to be able to study two different topics ar the same time.

Another would be to add a place mark or place holder so you can save where you left off...

Great app.. keep up the good work!

Aaron
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: New Idea - Split screen

Post by rmrichesjr »

That sounds like a useful idea. In fact, some earlier (as in prior to smartphones) scripture study applications had that type of feature. The old "The Scriptures" desktop application had capabilities to put multiple areas of scripture on screen at the same time so the student could read and compare other things. Being as this is a user-to-user forum, the likelihood is pretty small that your post will be seen by anyone with decision-making authority on the topic. In order to give your idea the best chance of being implemented, the feedback mechanism in the app would be the most effective.

Even more generally than scripture study, general-purpose computing adopted the concept allowing multiple things on the screen at the same time some decades ago. The Xerox Star system, the X Window System, the Amiga, Apple Lisa and Macintosh, and Microsoft Windows facilitated viewing several things on the screen at the same time. More recently, the small screen size of most cell phones seems to have migrated the usage model back to viewing only a single thing on the screen at a time. I find it interesting to watch the pattern of repetition in historical trends and such.
carsonm

Post by carsonm »

My guess is that you are trying to do this on an android or iOS device, which is not possible currently really in the way you describe for the split screen as You can do book marks, but not the split screen. If you have a Windows 10 base tablet or 2 in 1 device or other Windows 10 device (laptop or desktop) you can use the Gospel Library app in multiple "windows" and do tabs as well. On those Windows 10 devices you can put it in in "Tablet Mode" to seem a little more like an newer iPad or newer Android tablet so you only see 2 apps at a time at a time.

For those newer and a bit larger Android devices, where some have the ability to do split screen, using I believe version 8.x or aka "Oreo" of Android. can do the spit screen but not with the same app like in Windows 10, but you might try Gospel Library and maybe the Citation Index scriptures.byu.edu (mobile app) split screen.

So far, the only church app in Android that I know at this time, that does the split screen "Feature" is the Family Search Family Tree app and that depends on the version of Android you are using and if your devices hardware can handle it. I can use this spit screen feature on my new Android phone but not on my older Android Tablet for example. I have not tried it yet on an iOS device, but I am guessing it would about similar to the Android experience.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

In Gospel Library for Android you can tell it to show screens in multiple windows (Settings | Screen Settings | Show Screens as Separate Windows), then you can use the OS split screen and show both at the same time.
carsonm

Post by carsonm »

@ jonesrk Thanks for the tip on how to set the "show screens in separate windows" feature. It works pretty good.
dthomaswright

Post by dthomaswright »

I love this idea for the iPad! Would be so helpful. I already use the gospel library and other apps at the same time with split screen during my study.
bljarv

Post by bljarv »

I’m hoping that with the official support coming for this functionality with iPadOS that we can get this capability on our iPads sometime soon. Perhaps with native support, it wouldn’t be too terribly difficult to implement.
SisterBreanne

Post by SisterBreanne »

I found that there are language learning versions of the scriptures available with two languages side by side. I would LOVE to do this in gospel library app. It doesn’t have to do synchronous scrolling. Just being able to open 2 of my gospel library app screens side by side would do the trick! I use the apple iPad Pro 12.5 2018.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library 5.12.0 for iOS/iPadOS was just released to public beta, and it includes the ability to bring up two windows of Gospel Library side-by-side on iPad, as well as simultaneous scrolling when viewing the same chapter in different languages. If the beta goes well, it should become more widely available within the next few weeks.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
cmeltona

Post by cmeltona »

Split screen is also a distraction. Easy to make the split time consuming to get closed. A nusance!

Return to “Gospel Library”