No gospel library app through Kindle fire

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
lloydrbrown

Re: No gospel library app through Kindle fire

Post by lloydrbrown »

I had friends that wanted to upgrade Gospel Library from 3. to 4. They had Fire 8's.

We had to add Google Play Store by following this instruction http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2016/0 ... c-or-root/ using the newer XDA forum's instructions. https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon ... e-t3486603 Make sure you Go to Settings > Security > Enable Apps from Unknown Sources first. I assume after Gospel Library is installed you can disable apps from unknown sources although I didn't do that.

Just download and install the 4 apk in the proper order and then download the Gospel Library app from Google Play Store. The apk links to download are at the xda-developers web page. Very easy.

As far as parental controls, you may have to remove them, get the Play Store and download the app and then renable the parental controls.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library 4 is back on the Amazon Appstore. There was a search bug affecting Kindles, which was causing the app to crash. Amazon subsequently removed Gospel Library from the store. The developers submitted a patch update, which is live on the Appstore as of 2:30 AM this morning (Mountain Time).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
JRIX

Post by JRIX »

As of just a few minutes ago, I'm still getting a message from AMAZON that the Gospel Library is not available to KINDLE owners! At least not the Kindle I own, Does the Church, that tells me to avoid unnecessary debt, want me to spend $400 that I don't have for a newer device?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JRIX wrote:At least not the Kindle I own,
What version is that? I don't think the app works on the e-reader line, just the Kindle Fire line. New Kindle Fire starts at $50. The only ones that were around $400 were the very first ones.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

JRIX wrote:Does the Church, that tells me to avoid unnecessary debt, want me to spend $400 that I don't have for a newer device?
Gospel Library is provided as a convenience. The Church doesn't require members to have the newest version of Gospel Library, or to own a mobile device at all, to be in good standing or to have access to the latest gospel content. Scriptures, magazines, and manuals are always available on LDS.org and in print.

What model of Kindle do you have? Any Kindle Fires released in 2012 or later should be compatible, but unfortunately the first-generation Kindle Fire from 2011 is running Android 2.3.3, which isn't supported.
spainmission

Post by spainmission »

I also just purchased the kindle fire 8. When I try to download it, it says it's currently unavailable.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Amazon rejected the 4.2.1 update on a few devices – the developers are working on a fix so it can be resubmitted to the Amazon Appstore.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library has been re-submitted to the Amazon Appstore as 4.2.1.6 and should be live within the next 24 hours. For anyone who's curious, the original 4.2.1 update was rejected by the Amazon Appstore for larger Kindles because one of the tablet-size "Tips" images wasn't bundled properly with the app and was showing as a black square.
larsenwp

Post by larsenwp »

My wife and I both use an early Kindle Fire HD. We've been using the Gospel Library for some time now. However, Gospel Library was updated on Sept 1, 2017 to 4.2.1.6. Now both of our apps crash on startup. I've deleted the app and reloaded from the Amazon Store with no change. It starts to open and then gives a message that the Gospel Library closed. Is there a fix coming?

App just stopped working on Kindle Fire two days ago. I've uninstalled & reinstalled several times with the same result - when I hit app to open, it attempts to open, but then "gospel library has stopped" appears. Since this only happens on my Kindle (and not my android phone) I contacted Amazon to see if there was a problem they could detect with my Kindle. No luck. Any thoughts?
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Combined posts
nancyl

Post by nancyl »

I have had the Gospel Library for a couple of years. Today I was reading a 2008 magazine article and it just stopped working. I have deleted and reloaded several times and it will not work. How do I get it back? I used Gospel Library all the time to study. Thanks Nancy

Return to “Gospel Library”