Scriptures and other Church Publications for Kindle

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
AaronR

Free LDS Scriptures on the Kindle.

Post by AaronR »

I wrote a blog post on how to get free LDS Scriptures on the Kindle. www.aaronlrobinson.com/blog
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I want to comment that although there are public domain versions of the Old and New Testament, all of the scriptures produced by the Church (including version of the Old and New Testament, D&C, Book of Mormon, Perl of Great Price) are covered by the Church's copyright. Those who wish to distribute the Church's version of the scriptures should contact the Church's IP department for permission. This also includes Hymns, Ensign articles, manuals, etc.

Tom
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

This entire thread was moved to the Community Development Projects/Gospel Library forum, where it better fits.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thechair

Another Request for Kindle Version

Post by thechair »

I got a Kindle for Christmas, and, of course, the first thing I sought out for it was GospelLibrary. My BYU student daughter also got a Kindle for Christmas, and wanted to put GospelLibrary on it.

So here's our humble request please to include the Kindle. We would love to have GospelLibrary and all other Church publications you see fit to make available.

The Kindle seems to be quite worthy of support. It's big and growing still. The latest sales figures for Kindle are estimated at 8 million sold in 2010. (Figure discussed on various Kindle-related blogs.)

Thanks,

Mark Vos
Victoria Ward
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
christianwilliams

Post by christianwilliams »

Yes, I agree. Desparately awaiting Gospel Library for the Kindle. Ipad, Iphone are nice, and the church applications for them are very nice, but to me they are like toys. What I mean by that is I can't spend a lot of time reading them, it's more like 10-15 minutes or so.

A phone or ipad is not fit to do serious reading for a long amount of time. Don't get me wrong, I use old pda with Yanceyware all the time. But I'd much rather have something that allows me to dig deeply into the scriptures without killing my eyes.

With the Kindle you can do some serious reading (and for me just as importantly, annotating). So one more request for the Kindle please!
Chosen

Post by Chosen »

Can I third that? Please, Please, Please create the gospel library for Kindle. the Iphone and Android apps are great, but for serious long time reading they will kill your eyes.

Thanks
bjditty

Scriptures for the kindle

Post by bjditty »

So too am I, a new Kindle user, and am anxious to be able to utilize this technology in my gospel study. Particularly my interest includes links to cross referencing (is there such a project in the works?) :confused:

It is interesting to note that the "LDS Scriptures [kindle edition]" ranking as currently noted at the kindle store are: (from http://www.amazon.com/LDS-Scriptures-eb ... 615&sr=1-1 as accessed 1/3/2011 at 9:55 pm MDT)

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #226 Paid in Kindle Store
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Philosophy > Religious
#1 in Books > Nonfiction > Philosophy > Religious
#2 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Jesus

There is definitely an interest, demand, and most importantly a need:rolleyes:! I look forward to seeing what develops particularly again in respect to improved access to the footnotes and cross references. Thanks for what you do.

Bryan Ditty
Overlake 4th Ward
Tooele North Stake
cardonbj

Post by cardonbj »

Does the Kindle support custom third party apps? I know the Nook currently doesn't, but the next firmware update is supposed to add it (I'm guessing it will be a modified Android development kit. If so, I'll be happy to help in the porting process from Android to Nook).

edit: I just looked at it and they have already released a development kit for the nook which is essentially the same as the Android SDK that Google releases.

http://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com/tools#getsdk

It's Android 2.1 but should still work just fine for getting a version of Gospel Library compiled.

edit2: I looked a little more and found that this SDK is just a preview of the one that will be released with the next Nook Color update so developers can start building their apps. It would probably be worth vetting the current Gospel Library build against it, although since it's essentially vanilla Android SDK it should be fine.
mrwithers

Free LDS Scriptures and other publications on Kindle

Post by mrwithers »

This blog post talks about how to get the scriptures and other LDS publications on the Kindle for free:

http://blog.drewwithers.com/2010/11/lds-scriptures-and-other-publications.html
Chosen

Post by Chosen »

Thanks mrwithers, those files are helpful. However in my opinion the layout and functionality of those free files does not compare to the layout and functionality of the Gospel Library, or for all other eBooks designed for Kindle. This is much better than not having the LDS Scriptures on your Kindle, but I have no doubt that if the Church technical department finds it worth their while to create a Kindle version it will be superior to any other version available. The reasons it will be superiior are the same for all Kindle books; it is like reading a paper copy, it is easy on the eyes and will not interrupt ability to sleep like a backlighted device will, larger screen than a cell phone, easy dictionary reference etc...

Again I plead with the technical team, please make a Kindle version.

Return to “Gospel Library”