Highlight and tag issues.

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
ch715a

Highlight and tag issues.

Post by ch715a »

Hi folks.

I have tried to prepare my Sunday school lesson using the manuals on both the iOS gospel library app and on lds.org. I want to highlight and make notes on the sections of the lesson I plan on using however the bullet points and subsections don't seem to allow you to do this.

I have taken a couple of screenshots to illustrate my point. I have raised an incident however they have referred me back to the forums which seems a bit weird. Is this something that anyone else has come across? Anyone got any suggestions of how to get it to work?

To be clear I don't want to extract them to a notebook I just want to be able to annotate the lesson itself like you would in a paper manual.
Attachments
image.jpg
Highlighting normal text options displayed
(667.25 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
image.jpg
Highlighting bullet section options not displayed
(664.32 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Highlight and tag issues.

Post by aebrown »

ch715a wrote:I have tried to prepare my Sunday school lesson using the manuals on both the iOS gospel library app and on lds.org. I want to highlight and make notes on the sections of the lesson I plan on using however the bullet points and subsections don't seem to allow you to do this.
Refer to the first 4 posts in the topic Bug with Highlights. In particular, the 4th post from a Church employee confirms that there are problems with content that does not allow annotations (among which is bulleted content), and says that fixing it is a "very large undertaking" and gives no timeline for a fix.
ch715a wrote:Is this something that anyone else has come across? Anyone got any suggestions of how to get it to work?
There's nothing you can do about it -- it will get fixed only as the content gradually gets formatted properly to support annotations.
ch715a

Post by ch715a »

Thanks for that. I can understand why this would be a big project although I would have thought being aware of the issue in 2013 they would have started work on fixing it with the lesson manuals for that and this year as these are the resources people will most likely want to do this type of thing other than the scriptures of course which seem to be fine anyway. I wonder if this is something that they could turn into a community project to help speed the process up? But I doubt they would want to do that.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

ch715a wrote:Thanks for that. I can understand why this would be a big project although I would have thought being aware of the issue in 2013 they would have started work on fixing it with the lesson manuals for that and this year as these are the resources people will most likely want to do this type of thing other than the scriptures of course which seem to be fine anyway. I wonder if this is something that they could turn into a community project to help speed the process up? But I doubt they would want to do that.
I'm not involved in the process, but it is likely more than just simple content updates. Before content can be updated to support annotations, the markup scheme has to be changed to resolve the issues and then the applications that produce and consume the markup and annotations have to be updated to support the changes.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

The current version of Study Notebook does not allow one to highlight any sort of special formatting, including special fonts, some italics, long quotations, or bullets. Here is one way to work around the bug:

1. Highlight the bullets.
2. Hit CTRL and C at the same time.
3. Highlight the sentence *before* the bullets and when the little box comes up....
4. Click on the 'Note' part.
5. Then, hit CTRL and V. The bullets that you felt were important will be saved in your journal, even if they are not highlighted on your page.

Notes also does not work with every page on LDs.org - only scriptures, manuals and magazine articles. You can use a similar procedure to save important information on these other types of pages:

1. Highlight the information.
2. Hit CTRL and C at the same time.
3. Create a new journal entry.
4. Click on the note part.
5. Then, hit CTRL and V. The information that you wanted to highlight will be saved in your journal, even if it is not highlighted on your page.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

There's also info in this thread https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht#p116588, including technical info about the cause / solution.

Liz
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The next version of Gospel Library coming out – version 3.5 – will switch to all HTML content, which will allow titles, bulleted lists, etc. that weren't previously annotatable to be able to be marked up.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

sbradshaw wrote:The next version of Gospel Library coming out – version 3.5 – will switch to all HTML content, which will allow titles, bulleted lists, etc. that weren't previously annotatable to be able to be marked up.
Hallelujah!!!
cheryledstrom

Post by cheryledstrom »

:D
Yay!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I said version 3.5 above – it's actually version 4.0, which should be out before the end of the year.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Gospel Library”