Gospel Library "Real Page" formatting

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
portb

Re: Gospel Library "Real Page" formatting

Post by portb »

https://github.com/bradporter/OpenSticks

It works for scroll format on linux. I use it in Sunday School.

Real Page formatting was the goal. There was a snag when the new database format came out last year. Some html tags in the new database were switched around and it broke the conversion program. Easily fixable, but this is going to require some coordination with Church developers as to what will change and what will not so the conversion program will only have to be written once. Alternately, it would be amazing if there was a convenient way for them to add the required div's since the current method in bomconv.txt is rather tedious. (There might be some code out there that already knows where the column breaks are??).
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The scriptures content isn't marked up with column breaks, but it does have page breaks marked, because they're used to show page numbers in the right margin. You can see how it's marked up by going to this page and using the browser inspector to see the code for the page numbers (for example, the "2" in the right margin): https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/conte ... ofm/1-ne/1
You could get an approximation of column breaks by dividing the content between the page breaks in half, to the nearest word or verse. Is that how you're currently setting the column breaks?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
portb

Post by portb »

sbradshaw wrote: You could get an approximation of column breaks by dividing the content between the page breaks in half, to the nearest word or verse. Is that how you're currently setting the column breaks?
No, I was generating a script to modify the database by adding div open and close in a modified database on a per column basis. This script does not use the pagebreak span class. Using the pagebreak span class instead would still seem to be a considerable effort. Paragraphs would have to be closed prior the <span class='pageBreak' ...> I think bodyBlock would also have to be closed and reopened after the pageBreak. Probably, the span should be changed to a <div id="columns_2" ...> and then closed just before the next pageBreak tag, with column_2 being just #columns_2 { columns: 2 8em; }. Sometimes it appears inside the heading instead of the bodyBlock, a separate challenge. It might be difficult to get the chapter summary, which is in the heading, as part of the 2column format. I'm not sure it would be much easier than what I am doing and might be less similar, aside from whether the column break is in exactly the right place. I'll give it a little more thought.

Return to “Gospel Library”