Moving YW back into Laurels.

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jbh001

Moving YW back into Laurels.

Post by jbh001 »

We had a laurel that turned 18. MLS automatically moved her into Relief Society. Even though that is where she technically belongs, she has elected to remain in YW for one more year until she graduates from high school. This has been approved by the local leadership.

After several attempts of trying to get MLS to put her back in the Laurels class, here is what finally worked. Within MLS,we went to the Relief Society organization, located her record there and clicked the Remove link included with her entry. MLS then asked us which organization we wanted to assign her to instead, and Laurels was among the options MLS presented to us.

It was actually easy to do, but we had enough failed attempts at other methods of accomplishing this that I thought it would be helpful to post (for the benefit of others) what finally worked.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbh001 wrote:We had a laurel that turned 18. MLS automatically moved her into Relief Society. Even though that is where she technically belongs, she has elected to remain in YW for one more year until she graduates from high school. This has been approved by the local leadership.

After several attempts of trying to get MLS to put her back in the Laurels class, here is what finally worked. Within MLS,we went to the Relief Society organization, located her record there and clicked the Remove link included with her entry. MLS then asked us which organization we wanted to assign her to instead, and Laurels was among the options MLS presented to us.

It was actually easy to do, but we had enough failed attempts at other methods of accomplishing this that I thought it would be helpful to post (for the benefit of others) what finally worked.

This was discussed at some length in this thread. Interestingly, you posted that thread, but it was after the topic had strayed from the original topic of 18-year-old Laurels.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Alan_Brown wrote:This was discussed at some length in this thread. Interestingly, you posted that thread, but it was after the topic had strayed from the original topic of 18-year-old Laurels.
I suffer frequent attacks of selective amnesia. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D
What were we taking about?
geek

Moving 18yo girl back to YW not working at 3.1.4

Post by geek »

We have two 18yos that show up as being part of the RS; we attempted to remove them from RS and specify Laurels, but this fails (there's no error given, but multiple attempts show that they are not in the Laurels).

(We've successfully moved from the RS to Laurels in the past, but it just doesn't seem to work anymore.)
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

geek wrote:We have two 18yos that show up as being part of the RS; we attempted to remove them from RS and specify Laurels, but this fails (there's no error given, but multiple attempts show that they are not in the Laurels).

(We've successfully moved from the RS to Laurels in the past, but it just doesn't seem to work anymore.)
It seems to work fine for me on 3.1.4. How are you attempting to do the move? The most straightforward way is:
  1. Go to Organizations > Relief Society
  2. In the Members section of Relief Society, find the person you want to move back to YW; click the Remove link to the right of her name.
  3. In the dialog box that appears, for "Select the destination organization" choose Laurels.
  4. Click Save.
  5. The person should disappear from the RS Members list, and appear in the Laurels member list.
One important note: If you have the Laurels organization open in a tab when you do this, that tab will not automatically update with the new member. But if you close the tab and reopen it, you should see the new member of the Laurel class.

So my questions are:
  • Does the person disappear from the RS list when you follow this procedure?
  • If you close the Laurels tab and then reopen it, does the new member appear in the Laurels members list?
geek

Post by geek »

So at the moment, both girls are not in RS. But they are not in Laurels either.

Now that they are NOT in RS, if we attempt to "add them to the Laurels" class, they are not even listed as options. We closed out all the tabs and reopened them after we removed them from RS.
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

geek wrote:So at the moment, both girls are not in RS. But they are not in Laurels either.

Now that they are NOT in RS, if we attempt to "add them to the Laurels" class, they are not even listed as options. We closed out all the tabs and reopened them after we removed them from RS.
No one who is 18 or older is ever listed as an option for adding to the Laurel class. It doesn't matter whether or not they are in RS. The only way to add someone 18 or older to a YW class is to remove them from RS, and add them to the desired YW class.

One additional thing to try is to go to each girl's individual membership record, and on the first screen, click the Reset Organizations For Member link. By rule (since she is 18+), that should put her back in Relief Society. Then you could at least try the process again.
geek

Post by geek »

I just drove over to review this. Yes, they get put back in the RS, but there needs to be a way to put them in Laurels.

If you attempt to do an "Add Member" in the Laurels class, it will *not* show anyone over 17 (even those we've removed from the Laurels).

If you're saying that no one over 17 is ever added to the Laurel class, then we have bad real-life conditions being implemented here. High school seniors who turn 18 are kept in the YW until they graduate from high school.

Is it possible for someone to help us find a solution here and not just justify the (incorrect) status quo?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Please re-read Alan's post quoted below. You can not ADD them to YW directly. You can only do it when you move them out of RS.
Alan_Brown wrote:The most straightforward way is:
  1. Go to Organizations > Relief Society
  2. In the Members section of Relief Society, find the person you want to move back to YW; click the Remove link to the right of her name.
  3. In the dialog box that appears, for "Select the destination organization" choose Laurels.
  4. Click Save.
  5. The person should disappear from the RS Members list, and appear in the Laurels member list.
One important note: If you have the Laurels organization open in a tab when you do this, that tab will not automatically update with the new member. But if you close the tab and reopen it, you should see the new member of the Laurel class.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

geek wrote:If you attempt to do an "Add Member" in the Laurels class, it will *not* show anyone over 17 (even those we've removed from the Laurels).

If you're saying that no one over 17 is ever added to the Laurel class, then we have bad real-life conditions being implemented here. High school seniors who turn 18 are kept in the YW until they graduate from high school.

Is it possible for someone to help us find a solution here and not just justify the (incorrect) status quo?
No one has said that no one over 17 is ever added to the Laurel class. That is certainly allowed.

MLS does allow this to be done, so the status quo is not incorrect, although I will agree that the method for accomplishing this in MLS is not as straightforward as it might be. Because MLS doesn't include sisters over 17 in the list when you go to Add Members to the Laurel class, that way does not work.

Just follow the steps I mentioned before for removing them from the Relief Society, and which RussellHltn has helpfully repeated. I have done this repeatedly on the test data, and I have worked with ward clerks who have done it with live data, so I know that it can be done.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”