Form for Record Transfers

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mlh78

Form for Record Transfers

Post by mlh78 »

My stake president has asked for "the form" used to transfer member records, including a checklist of tasks that must be done before sending members with unknown locations to SLC. It is my understanding that no such form exists, though wards often create one for the ease of clerks. Can any of you confirm my understanding?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlh78 wrote:My stake president has asked for "the form" used to transfer member records, including a checklist of tasks that must be done before sending members with unknown locations to SLC. It is my understanding that no such form exists, though wards often create one for the ease of clerks. Can any of you confirm my understanding?
There is not a form per se, but in MLS when you move a record and do not specify a new address, you are presented with the following confirmation dialog:
Member Address Finding Steps

When a member moves out of your ward or branch and a new address is not provided, please complete as many of the following steps as possible to obtain the member's new address. If new address information is found, include it with your request to move the member's record from your ward or branch so the member may be contacted by the Church in his or her new location.
  1. Call any last known telephone numbers
  2. Send an appropriate e-mail to any last known e-mail addresses
  3. Contact known relatives
  4. If available, call family telephone numbers
  5. Contact known friends and other Church members
  6. Contact all ward priesthood and auxiliary leaders
  7. Contact the occupants at the member's last known address to see if they have a forwarding address
  8. Contact the neighbors on both sides of the member's last known address to see if they have a forwarding address
  9. If available in your area, visit the local post office for forwarding address or contact information
  10. If available in your area, visit the local library or other locations to check electoral registers
The clerk then chooses to Continue (because they have made these efforts to find the new address) or Cancel (so they can make these efforts before transferring the record). So there is indeed a checklist of tasks.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At one time (back in the days of MIS, and maybe before) there was indeed a 2 or 3 part carbon-less form. But I believe it's out of date.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

Thank you gentlemen. I have never served as a ward clerk, so as a stake clerk it is hard to answer some of these off the wall questions. You are a tremendous resource.

Return to “Membership Help”