LUWS Missing?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
mwgbell

LUWS Missing?

Post by mwgbell »

Our stake is still using the classic calendar through the end of 2011; and the new calendar for 2012. I logged on the system tonight, and planned to go to the Classic calendar; but the drop-down for the LUWS is missing (see attachment)? Any ideas?
Attachments
MissingLUWS.doc
(190.5 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've always used lds.org/units.

I think wards.lds.org also works.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It also still seems to be there if you go "all tools"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:It also still seems to be there if you go "all tools"
Not for me.

Edit: They moved it from the right side to the left side menu.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mwgbell

Post by mwgbell »

jdlessley wrote: Edit: They moved it from the right side to the left side menu.

If I go to Tools / See All Tools; it is there. Too bad they moved it and didn't tell anyone ...
(I had never used ward.lds.org or lds.org/units -- both of which also work.)
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

I noticed that this morning too. I use units.lds.org to get there. Are they going to start phasing out the LUWS?
sjhovey

Removal of link to Classic Ward and Stake Web Sites

Post by sjhovey »

I speak not only for myself but also for our Agent Bishop in our concern about the Church trying to "wean us away" from using the site by removing easy access to the LUWS. We rely heavily on the ability to post informational documents for ward members (Ward Mission Plan, Ward Emergency Plan, Scount Committee plans, etc.) as well as the ability to do broadcast email blasts to the entire ward. Other functionality that the Church does not provide elsewhere are the Sunday School lesson schedule and the Priesthood/Relief Society Lesson schedule. Elsewhere on LDSTech.org a posting already stated that they have absolutely no plans to do anything with the Classic Ward and Stake Web Sites in the forseeable future due to a lack of resources. That said, it is alarming that they have removed the link from the menu. We are getting panicked calls from members.:(
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

sjhovey wrote:We are getting panicked calls from members.:(
Nice! Well, sort of... it's good that they notice! I bet my ward didn't even notice it was missing! Sounds like you've done well at promoting your website! Feel free to private message me with some tips. :)

Here's what I would suggest. Post a link to the website in your upcoming ward bulletin, and just leave it there. I usually put it in big letters in mine. I use units.lds.org, but wards.lds.org also works! It's short and fairly easy to remember. I hope that helps!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Response from lds.org product manager

Post by aebrown »

I have just heard back from the product manager for lds.org regarding this issue, and this is what he said:
We removed the classic link from Tools but we'll keep the classic links available on the LDS.org left navigation bar shown below until all the replacement applications are released. We have a number of people getting confused thinking the new and classic.lds.org applications are synced and sending questions in why information entered in one isn't displayed in the other.
ldsorg-left.jpg
ldsorg-left.jpg (7.32 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Note that although people might not see this because they are looking on the Tools menu, it's actually easier to get to from the home page of lds.org than the Tools menu -- it's just one click.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:Note that although people might not see this because they are looking on the Tools menu, it's actually easier to get to from the home page of lds.org than the Tools menu -- it's just one click.
It is just one click. But if a member is not expecting it to be there because of the previous location ,there is still going to be panic that access to the site has disappeared. And to some people, if the access link has disappeared (from a familiar location) so has the site itself.

For those using bookmarks this is not an issue.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”