Unable to create repeating reservation

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Unable to create repeating reservation

Post by russellhltn »

I don't know what's wrong, but I've been unable to make a repeating two day reservation for our stake center. Either the wheel just spins and spins, even if only schedule out the end of the year or it completes quickly, but then nothing shows in the reservation calendar.

I deliberately waited until I figured the server load was light, but still no luck.

Very frustrating.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't know what's wrong, but I've been unable to make a repeating two day reservation for our stake center. Either the wheel just spins and spins, even if only schedule out the end of the year or it completes quickly, but then nothing shows in the reservation calendar.
It's working fine for me. Can you supply more details about what you are trying to do? Is this an all-day event that lasts two days, or do you mean something else by "two day reservation"? How often does it repeat? Weekly? What kind of repeat are you choosing -- until a date, or a number of occurrences? Is it assigned to a unit or Blocked?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Wow, you're up late!

I'm trying to block most of the resources at the stake center for all day Friday and Saturday, every week.

I've tried different ways of doing it including a single all-day weekly repeating event
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Wow, you're up late!
More like "up early" :confused:
RussellHltn wrote:I'm trying to block most of the resources at the stake center for all day Friday and Saturday, every week.

I've tried different ways of doing it including a single all-day weekly repeating event
I wonder if you're seeing what was reported in Reservations Not Saved. In that thread I theorized that the "Filter by Unit" checkboxes weren't checked, but perhaps there is a problem with saving in certain conditions.

And as I do further testing, I'm seeing what is a somewhat confusing user interface. Perhaps this is a factor in your case. Reservations are shown on the reservation calendar only for the selected building. That certainly makes some sense, but it seems to conflict with the "Filter by Unit" checkboxes. You have to click on the building in question (on the left side under "Available Locations") to see any reservations for that building; you can then further filter what units' reservations for that location are shown by checking or unchecking "Filter by Unit" checkboxes.

At one point, I was thinking that the presence of the "Filter by Unit" checkboxes meant that I could see reservations for all locations for the checked units, but now I see that I was mistaken -- the display is always limited to reservations for the selected building, and then further limited by the filter checkboxes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The reservations showed fine before I deleted them because I was having problems changing them.

So yes, my problem is matched by "Reservations Not Saved". I find I can create one with the "short" form, it's the "long" form that's not working.

Of course, given that building schedulers can't override, perhaps it's best I can't create a reservation. <sigh>

I was able to create reservations when the calendar went live. Just not last night. At that time, I saw reservations blocked by events. While it's nice to know of non-conforming events, they should not block a change in scheduling policy. Only other reservations for the same resource should cause it to fail.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Further testing shows that it's a repeating weekly reservation that won't save (if even gets to saying it saves at all). Single event and monthly repeating is fine. For testing I've been using the end date of 31 Dec 2011, so that shouldn't be too many events. As I said, it was working the first night V2 went live.

dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

I have been doing some iCal import testing and saw the same thing. I could get a daily and monthly reoccurring to import just fine. Weekly...no go. No indication that it didn't import correctly. Nothing ever appeared on the calendar! Must be a back end issue.
gcollett

Post by gcollett »

I have also found that weekly recurring reservations sometimes do not save even when the calendar says that they have. But I have found a work-around that so far has always worked. Hope this will be only temporarily needed:

1) Create and save the reservation as a single, non-recurring event.
2) Edit the event by going back in and only then clicking the "this is a recurring event" box.
3) Put in the weekly recurrence information.
4) Update the reservation.
ajcampers

Post by ajcampers »

I created a blocked reservation for every Monday night from now until the end of Dec. 2012, and saved it. I got a message that the reservation was saved, however it doesn't show on the calendar.
I modified a similar reservation that was created with V1 and it is visible.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gcollett wrote:But I have found a work-around that so far has always worked. [...] Update the reservation.
Thanks for the tip, but that gives me another concern. If it doesn't work directly, and doesn't work for iCal import, but works on a edit ... it makes me wonder if it's skipping conflict checking for edits.

Return to “Calendar”