Scroll With Physical Buttons

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
stevenamorrison

Scroll With Physical Buttons

Post by stevenamorrison »

I'm running the Gospel Library on a rooted Nook Simple Touch (2nd Gen E-ink Nook). I have issues with scrolling through a chapter using the touch interface. Is there a way to page-up or page-down with physical keys? I would like to remap the side buttons on my device to allow for such a function.

Thank you.
sokol99

Same

Post by sokol99 »

I'm also running Gospel Library on a rooted Nook simple touch. In the rooting process there was a way to use adb to change the function of the left two buttons so I'm sure there's a way to change the right buttons but I haven't looked any deeper yet. The info was on xda. Actually might not be too bad...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... st15084704

Basically says we can edit the file in
/system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl
The question I have is what are 'commands' that Gospel Library would accept for these keys? I don't see a "SCROLL" option anywhere in my list. I do see "DPAD_DOWN" and "DPAD_UP"
Also, they give the key numbers for the 4 navigation buttons but not for the main 'nook' button in the middle. But this looks pretty do-able..

Also found this link:
http://nookdevs.com/Talk:Button_mappings

I'm also finding that many of the lesson hyperlinks fail to bring up the link. The top navigation says it's at the new location but the text is still from the lesson manual. ..Similar problems when side swiping to change chapters.

Also noticed that May is the most recent Ensign available. Odd.

Anyone else had further success?
sokol99

Post by sokol99 »

Yep. After tinkering with the settings I can confirm that it's pretty easy to set the key mapping but only someone from Gospel Library team (if anyone) could tell us what the Gospel Library might accept as a scroll forward/reverse command. The commands that the Nook uses by default don't appear to be standard Android commands so I'd guess they're custom to the Barnes and Noble app (e.g. "RIGHT_NEXTPAGE"). Also, the DPAD_UP/DOWN commands only work oA lists but not when reading actual text... So, I don't think there's anything else that can really be done.

Also the center 'nook' button appears to be 'hard-wired'; I couldn't get its key number when using a program to capture the numbers I found on XDA....
nealsharmon

Post by nealsharmon »

I would like to solve the exact same problem.
nealsharmon

Post by nealsharmon »

I realized when using my tablet computer that the Gospel Library would be wonderful if it would respond to the page up and page down commands. When I hook my tablet to a keyboard, I wish I had a way to move to the next page easily. I can use the arrow keys but it scrolls very slowly and doesn't work very well.

Also, the kindle app allows me to turn my volume keys into page up and page down commands. It's wonderful on phones and on the Nook Simple Touch.
mjone88

Post by mjone88 »

I've added support fro DPAD-UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT for the next release of GLA (2.2.0). It should be available in the store within 2-3 weeks. Using the volume keys is tricky because this release also adds audio playback, so we don't want confusion about what the volume buttons do (navigation vs adjust the volume level). The DPAD behavior is optional and can be enabled via settings (off by default).
burnside

Using DPAD with Gospel Library

Post by burnside »

Gospel Library is now on version 2.2.10 and I have tried remapping my buttons to use the DPAD keys. For instance, I remapped the left page up/down buttons to be DPAD_UP and DPAD_DOWN.

The result is that DPAD works well for scrolling up and down through the menus, but does not work as expected for scrolling through the actual chapter text. For instance, DPAD will scroll through the various links (i.e. references to other scriptures), but won't actually scroll the text.

I think that the DPAD commands need to be linked to a screen swipe gesture or something similar.

Additionally, mjone88 mentioned that "the DPAD behavior is optional and can be enabled via settings (off by default)." I don't know where to toggle this and maybe that is my issue. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
dammonburden

Post by dammonburden »

I don't think the DPAD toggle made it through to the settings. (From what I have seen from GLA 2.2 to 2.4.0.1-SNAPSHOT)
burnside

Post by burnside »

Do you have any idea how I get it included in a following app update?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You can follow the instructions on the Gospel Library support - Android. There is an e-mail address in the How to request help section.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Android Gospel Library”