YSA wards reorg in utah

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
cognifloyd

YSA wards reorg in utah

Post by cognifloyd »

Hello
First I am not an official line of communication. I just thought I'd give a heads up to those that support the new lds.org calendar and directory. Please restrict your comments to suggestions or thoughts on supporting the upcoming changes.

You know how many people have come to the forums looking four help after a ward or stake is reorganized? There always seems to be a significant delay in allowing access to the online tools and having records find their way to the right unit.

A letter was read in a singles ward at the UofU and at my brothers ward in West Jordan City utah announcing that the wards would be officially dissolved on May 1st. It seems that all of the singles and university wards in the salt lake valley. Then there are a variety of meetings to announce how new YSA stakes and wards will be created.

With such an extensive change in where records are, I suspect that there will be a lot of turmoil until people (and their records) find their place.

Good luck!
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

techgurufloyd wrote:A letter was read in a singles ward at the UofU and at my brothers ward in West Jordan City utah announcing that the wards would be officially dissolved on May 1st. It seems that all of the singles and university wards in the salt lake valley. Then there are a variety of meetings to announce how new YSA stakes and wards will be created.

With such an extensive change in where records are, I suspect that there will be a lot of turmoil until people (and their records) find their place.
Not sure what the actual question is that you are looking for comments on, but yes, all STUDENT single wards and stakes are being discontinued in the Salt Lake and Provo/Orem areas. This change has already been make in Logan, Weber, and Cedar City (last August). In the Draper/Riverton, Salt Lake and Davis County areas, 12 new YSA stakes are being created. The total number of single wards in the valley is decreasing from about 140 to about 100.

As for moving records, we have still not received any instructions on who will be going where. However, the simplest way to do this is to use the Boundary Realignment tool in MLS. This tool allows the clerk with the records to push groups of membership records to the new units. The nicest part of doing it this way is that address info is not erased. It also spares the clerk(s) in the new units from having to request all the new records individually.

I don't anticipate much turmoil in getting records to the right ward. I anticipate my stake will be able to get the records to the new units by the May 1st meeting or as soon as we have the new unit numbers (the boundaries will be presented in the meetings being held in the Conference Center April 26-28).
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

crislapi wrote:Not sure what the actual question is that you are looking for comments on
Several people have had issues when wards were discontinued/changed/etc. The problems are manifest when they try to access the online tools: Calendar, Directory, LUWS. If some clerk didn't realize the Boundary Alignment tool was available, or they weren't quite on the ball, or a ward just barely called new secretaries (and other possible situations that are too many to name), then I suspect someone somewhere won't be able to access the ward directory or calendar online. I suspect that since this isn't just one ward, or one stake that's changing, but at least two entire university stakes (those that I know of) and at least one non-university single's ward in a regular stake (again that I know of), plus many others that I'm not personally aware of, there are bound to be technical and user errors in the transition of records from one unit to another, and I suspect that those errors will be more frequent simply due to the volume of changes that will take place. The purpose of my post was to point out the potential issue before it happens, so that people on the forums and elsewhere aren't surprised by the support requests if/when people start requesting help and/or submitting mountains of negative feedback on lds.org.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly. Cheers!
mohhess

Mapping and moving address

Post by mohhess »

Just wanted to comment on the upcoming changes. I'm in a BYU Married Student Ward which will be changed effected as well. There are currently 5 BYU Married Student Stakes, but we will be reduced to 3 stakes to make room in buildings for more YSA wards.

Anyway, the First Presidency has asked all members in the stakes to "Verify" their address using LDS Map. I live in a sort of duplex and I tried moving the pin from the other half to our half of the house. No luck. No luck verifying either. Any changes that I try to make always stay the same even after saving and refreshing. Has anyone had experience with this or similar issues?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mohhess wrote:Anyway, the First Presidency has asked all members in the stakes to "Verify" their address using LDS Map.

The general authorities in charge of this transition have asked that all the addresses be verified. But at least our stake was not told to have the members verify their addresses; that responsibility was given to the clerks. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with asking members to verify their addresses, that would certainly be an option stakes would have as part of the process of getting the addresses verified. But clerks would have to come in and clean up those households that weren't verified by the members or were done incorrectly anyway.
mohhess wrote:I live in a sort of duplex and I tried moving the pin from the other half to our half of the house. No luck. No luck verifying either. Any changes that I try to make always stay the same even after saving and refreshing. Has anyone had experience with this or similar issues?
The process of "moving" and "verifying" are the same -- when you move the pin, you are verifying your address. What do you mean when you say "no luck"?
  • When you try to drag the pin to a different location, does it look like it's actually moving the pin?
  • Or do you not actually get a handle on the pin, so the pin just stays in place?
  • If you click on the pin, does the box that pops up have a "Move" option?
  • If you click on the "Move" link, do you get a message that says "This household has already been verified by the ward leaders. Please contact the ward clerk to correct this household's location"?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Main Church Website”