firewall blocking even church related Youtube videos

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jworth1

firewall blocking even church related Youtube videos

Post by jworth1 »

I have had no problem getting to youtube before being behind the firewall that we got from SLC but today that all changed.

I can no longer even see those videos and the website is blocked.

Do I need to call SLC to have them put an exception in the firewall to allow that access. We have whatever the highest access on the firewall when we set it up.

Thanks

Jeff
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jworth1 wrote:I have had no problem getting to youtube before being behind the firewall that we got from SLC but today that all changed.

I can no longer even see those videos and the website is blocked.

Do I need to call SLC to have them put an exception in the firewall to allow that access. We have whatever the highest access on the firewall when we set it up.
If you are not the STS then you may want to contact him. We have not heard of any changes in these forums regarding changes to the firewall filtering levels. I am assuming you have General Access for the filtering level and that you have either a Cisco PIX 501 or a Cisco ASA 5505. The new Cisco 881W installation instructions on the wiki specifically mentions that YouTube is not available. The General Access filtering level for the legacy units may have been modified to conform to the same filtering parameters. Until others report what they are seeing for their filtering of YouTube we can't be certain.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From a Meetinghouse Technologies email sent early February:
Meetinghouse Technology Notice:Recently the meetinghouse Internet policy was updated to block access to YouTube. You can still access Mormon Messages in the meetinghouse through http://www.MormonMessages.org rather than using the Mormon Channel on YouTube. See the Meetinghouse Technology Wiki for more information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

There will be another Church-sponsored Youtube channel affected by this.

http://www.youtube.com/familysearch

If you have not seen this yet, it has a number of videos relating to family history, getting started in family history, and the nine clips shown at 'A Celebration of Family History' in Salt Lake last April, and some other things.

I also have seen a Church Publick Affairs Youtube URLl as well, associated with the Newsroom page.

It might help to confirm whether the same videos from those two Youtube channels/pages will be accessible from alternate sources, preferrably on lds.org, other than Youtube so that they could be used in other Church settings using meetinghouse Internet.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting to note that as far as watching on-line, MormonMessages IS YouTube. I suspect that while the top-level is blocked, specific subsections such as http://www.youtube.com/mormonmessages is not.

I've seen that before where Yahoo Groups is blocked, but specific Yahoo Groups are not. The problem is you have to have the right URL to go there. You can't start from the top since there's no access.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jworth1

Post by jworth1 »

We have the Cisco ASA 5505 firewall and have general access.

The link to the familysearch is a new one and could be a tremendous help to our family history class.

Any other church related video links would be also be appreciated.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jworth1 wrote:We have the Cisco ASA 5505 firewall and have general access.

The link to the familysearch is a new one and could be a tremendous help to our family history class.

Any other church related video links would be also be appreciated.
There is a some missing information in your statements. After reading your first post and your latest post I am puzzled as to what you are asking.

There should be no problem accessing FamilySearch or newFamilySearch from a Church network. If there is, could you explain the problem you are experiencing?

What Church related videos are you trying to access and at what site? If they are on YouTube there may be direct links to the videos rather than starting at the YouTube home page which may be blocked at the firewall.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:There is a some missing information in your statements. After reading your first post and your latest post I am puzzled as to what you are asking.

There's two parts to his last post. First, he's responding with that his situation is. Secondly, he's commenting on JamesAnderson's post that shows FamilyHistory videos on YouTube. Lastly, he's asking for any other direct YouTube links to church videos in hopes that they are not blocked.

At least, that's my interpretation.

jworth1

Post by jworth1 »

I have even tried to access directly the church Youtube sites such as http://www.youtube.com/familysearch, http://www.youtube.com/mormonmessages and http://www.youtube.com/ldspublicaffairs with the same result.

Those sites supposedly are on the approved list in the firewall.

All else fails, I will call SLC and see about getting them added.

Jeff
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Don't forget this one, it aggregates some of the others as well.

http://www.youtube.com/mormonchannel

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”