Why not mailing address?

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
lorraine1950

Why not mailing address?

Post by lorraine1950 »

Currently the MLS will print a complete directory, abbreviated directory or phone directory. The abbreviated directory is most often used, and can be minimally customized using a drop down list of additions/changes. However, there is no option for including the "mailing address" data from MLS, even though there is an option for including "address 2".

Why can't we print an abbreviated directory using the mailing address, and is there any effort being made to fix this? Many Ward Clerks want to know.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

EDDIEDOW wrote:Currently the MLS will print a complete directory, abbreviated directory or phone directory. The abbreviated directory is most often used, and can be minimally customized using a drop down list of additions/changes. However, there is no option for including the "mailing address" data from MLS, even though there is an option for including "address 2".
Address 2 is still part of the residential address. Some addresses are sufficiently complex that they require a second address line just to identify the location of the residence. The mailing address is a separate set of fields.
EDDIEDOW wrote:Why can't we print an abbreviated directory using the mailing address, and is there any effort being made to fix this? Many Ward Clerks want to know.
In general, I would think that directories are used for locating residences, so the residential address is preferable.

But you can print an abbreviated directory with mailing addresses, if that's what you want. By using the mailing labels feature, you can gather the mailing addresses for just about any report or list in MLS, as explained in the wiki under Exporting mailing labels. It's a bit more work, but that's an approach you could use now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

EDDIEDOW wrote:Currently the MLS will print a complete directory, abbreviated directory or phone directory. The abbreviated directory is most often used, and can be minimally customized using a drop down list of additions/changes. However, there is no option for including the "mailing address" data from MLS, even though there is an option for including "address 2".

Why can't we print an abbreviated directory using the mailing address, and is there any effort being made to fix this? Many Ward Clerks want to know.

Sounds like a worthwhile wish for the wishlist. Absent such an enhancement being developed, which realistically I would not expect, your best fallback is probably to create and perhaps export a custom report. That way you can format things with maximum flexibility. More work, though.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RossEvans wrote:...your best fallback is probably to create and perhaps export a custom report. That way you can format things with maximum flexibility.

But custom reports do not give you access to the mailing address fields. At least not directly -- you can generate a custom report to select a particular set of members, but then you still have to use the Mailing Labels feature from the custom report to access the mailing address fields for that set of members. As long as the set of members you want matches some existing report, there's no reason to create a custom report. Just use an existing report and follow the instructions for Exporting mailing labels.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

aebrown wrote:But custom reports do not give you access to the mailing address fields. At least not directly -- you can generate a custom report to select a particular set of members, but then you still have to use the Mailing Labels feature from the custom report to access the mailing address fields for that set of members. As long as the set of members you want matches some existing report, there's no reason to create a custom report. Just use an existing report and follow the instructions for Exporting mailing labels.

I forgot that little shortcoming of custom reports. Since EDDIEDOW wants a custom directory, presumably including other data such as phone, etc. in addition to the mailing address, he is probably better off using the Membership.csv export file under File -> Export. That requires Administrator privilege, but that should not be a big problem for a ward clerk.
Daryl1

Post by Daryl1 »

Look at this link. I had the same question and idea. :D

https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?6737-Membership-Address-Issue-(Suggestion)

I have not tried to export as aebrown suggested for the only work around.
I plan to try this Saturday.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Sorry, RossEvans, but you lost me there.
Admin. privilege is not a problem as I and all Stake Clerks and Assistants and Ward Clerks and Membership Clerks have Admin privileges.
Not sure what Membership.csv is, though. Also, you mention a "wishlist". What is that and how to I make a suggestion for it?
Sorry, I'm not a computer person, despite my current calling.
We're aware that "Address 2" is simply an addition to the regular street address. Some units are putting the mailing address, usually a PO Box, in there to allow them to print directories with the mailing address. Unfortunately, they then appear on all directories printed, not a good thing. What is wanted is a directory with mailing addresses for Relief Society and Mel. Priesthood Quorum and Group presidencies to have mailing addresses so they can mail out cards, letters, invitations, etc. to members, particularly less-active members who don't want HT/VT coming to their house.
"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

EDDIEDOW wrote:Admin. privilege is not a problem as I and all Stake Clerks and Assistants and Ward Clerks and Membership Clerks have Admin privileges.
Not sure what Membership.csv is, though.
Sorry, I'm not a computer person, despite my current calling.

The Membership.csv file is one of the files that is created when you do an Export from MLS, which you can find documented on the wiki at Export (MLS). But since you describe yourself as "not a computer person" I would strongly recommend that you drop this line of inquiry -- working with an exported membership.csv file requires some technical expertise.
EDDIEDOW wrote: Also, you mention a "wishlist". What is that and how to I make a suggestion for it?

There's not really any official "wishlist"; RossEvans was speaking more figuratively. You can always submit any requests for new features to Local Unit Support.
EDDIEDOW wrote:We're aware that "Address 2" is simply an addition to the regular street address. Some units are putting the mailing address, usually a PO Box, in there to allow them to print directories with the mailing address. Unfortunately, they then appear on all directories printed, not a good thing. What is wanted is a directory with mailing addresses for Relief Society and Mel. Priesthood Quorum and Group presidencies to have mailing addresses so they can mail out cards, letters, invitations, etc. to members, particularly less-active members who don't want HT/VT coming to their house.
As I mentioned earlier, I think your best option for doing this is "Just use an existing report and follow the instructions for Exporting mailing labels." To be specific, do the following in MLS:
  1. For each household that has a mailing address different from the residential address:
    • Make sure the address fields contain only their residential address
    • Make sure the mailing address files contain their PO Box.
  2. Go to any report that lists the people you want to include.
    • For example, go to Organizations > Relief Society > Members for all the RS sisters
  3. Follow the instructions for Exporting mailing labels.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

EDDIEDOW wrote:Sorry, RossEvans, but you lost me there.
Admin. privilege is not a problem as I and all Stake Clerks and Assistants and Ward Clerks and Membership Clerks have Admin privileges.
Not sure what Membership.csv is, though.

Membership.csv is a standard export file in MLS, available from the File->Export menu, which requires administrative privilege. This file includes the regular street address fields, as well as a separate set of fields for an alternate postal address entered into MLS. It also includes all the other contact fields (email and phone). Since I understood that you want all those elements available for your custom directory, I suggested that you export that file.
EDDIEDOW wrote:We're aware that "Address 2" is simply an addition to the regular street address. Some units are putting the mailing address, usually a PO Box, in there to allow them to print directories with the mailing address. Unfortunately, they then appear on all directories printed, not a good thing.
Sounds like they may be entering the PO box on the second line of the main address, which might print in reports that print the full street address, rather than in the alternate mailing address fields. As far as I recall, the only MLS reports that print the alternate postal address are the mailing-list functions, which substitute this postal address -- if present -- for the street address.

But if the alternate mailing address is entered where it belongs, and you want to prepare a custom report that includes it in certain circumstances, you would have full control over that logic if you imported the Membership.csv export into a spreadsheet or other application.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks for the info, AEBrown and RossEvans, I'll try to hack my way through this, while closely following AEBrown's sage advise: "But since you describe yourself as "not a computer person" I would strongly recommend that you drop this line of inquiry -- working with an exported membership.csv file requires some technical expertise."
How's the old song go?..."Please release me, let me go..."
"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Return to “Reports and Forms”