Ward Tools

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nmecantwin73 wrote:. . . it appears I can only install the converted files to the iPhone over a wireless network... Is this true? The clerk's office computer is wired. Is it possible to connect the iPhone to the computer via wire and achieve the same results? Am I missing something in the instructions on the Ward Tools website?
Yes. It is programmed to receive the data over a WiFi network. I had the same trouble at home. Before I set up WiFi on my router, I could not download data for any of those types of programs.

Since Internet access was just installed, your FM Group may be planning to install wireless in the near future. You might want to check with your PFR (usually a high councilor) to see what the plan/schedule is for that installation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nmecantwin73 wrote:My bishop really wants to install Ward Tools on his new iPhone, even though he does use the LDS Tools app.

Are there specific features that he's looking for? You'll notice up-thread that the product started off third-party is now owned by the church and the features being migrated into LDS Tools.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

[quote="lajackson"]Since Internet access was just installed, your FM Group may be planning to install wireless in the near future. You might want to check with your PFR (usually a high councilor) to see what the plan/schedule is for that installation.[/quote]

There is wireless access in the building, as well. He was able to connect on his iPhone no problem. If that's all it takes, then great. Otherwise I know I can ask our STS, if needed.

[quote="RussellHltn"]Are there specific features that he's looking for? You'll notice up-thread that the product started off third-party is now owned by the church and the features being migrated into LDS Tools.[/quote]

Yeah, I made sure he knew that the Ward Tools code is now owned by the church. He is looking for more individual information that is available via Ward Tools versus LDS Tools.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

In a nutshell, you need a wireless network. Also it will not work with the wireless internet provided by the Church, at its meeting houses, as the Church supplied firewall blocks the data transmission.

The ideal method is to use your home wi-fi router/modem, as the data carrier.

As an aside Ward Tools has just been updated to version 2.1. They have corrected a few minor issues, details of which can be seen in the ITunes App Store. Ultimely the idea is to incorporate the Ward Tools functionality in to LDSTools.

Hope this helps.

PS. I hadn't realised that the threads carried on to the next page, with my initial reply. As an STS, I can confirm that the Church wi-fi system won't allow the data to be carried.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:In a nutshell, you need a wireless network. Also it will not work with the wireless internet provided by the Church, at its meeting houses, as the Church supplied firewall blocks the data transmission.

I would adjust that statement a bit. The problem is not with the Church-managed Cisco Firewall, nor with the wireless Internet supplied by the Church. It is the Sophos firewall that is doing the blocking. But either way, it is indeed a challenge in meetinghouses.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
blicj11

Post by blicj11 »

nmecantwin73 wrote:My bishop really wants to install Ward Tools on his new iPhone, even though he does use the LDS Tools app. Since he's not the most techie person, he's asked me to help him. Since the internet was just installed in our clerk's office last week, he wants to install it from there, if possible, since we can export the csv files easily.

In researching and reading about the
installation process, it appears I can only install the converted files to the iPhone over a wireless network... Is this true? The clerk's office computer is wired. Is it possible to connect the iPhone to the computer via wire and achieve the same results? Am I missing something in the instructions on the Ward Tools website?

Sorry for being dumb about the smart phones... don't have one yet...
:confused:

Thanks!

I export the data files to a USB thumb drive, then take the drive home and convert it on my home computer. Then I use my wireless home network to update the files to my iPhone. Works like a charm.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

Thank you for all of your responses! We'll see if we can get it to work.

:)
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

aebrown wrote:I would adjust that statement a bit. The problem is not with the Church-managed Cisco Firewall, nor with the wireless Internet supplied by the Church. It is the Sophos firewall that is doing the blocking. But either way, it is indeed a challenge in meetinghouses.
Thanks for the insight into Sophus being the cause. I took my own laptop into the meetinghouse, last night. Lo and behold it worked perfectly. I hadn't thought to try that option before.
bwr3000

Viewing More than One Unit

Post by bwr3000 »

I am in a bishopric in a Young Single Adult Ward. I am able to view my home ward and stake data in Home Ward, but NOT my YSA ward. Is there a way I can access both?

Brent Robinson
gdbrown

Post by gdbrown »

You may need to be listed in the "Out of Unit Callings" with one of the standard callings. I believe this has to be done in the "Stake MLS" not the "Ward MLS".

Return to “General Discussions”