new.lds.org Calendar Issues

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
silveira
Location: Sao Paulo Brazil, Horto Florestal Ward, Sao Paulo North Brazil Stake

Post by silveira »

I had the same problem with Firefox 3.6.12.
Internet Explorer 8.8 works well.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

silveira wrote:I had the same problem with Firefox 3.6.12.
Internet Explorer 8.8 works well.
I tracked down the cause of my problem and submitted feedback so the developers can hopefully fix it soon.

If your problem is the same problem you should be able to FF again once you use IE8 to get through the Initial Setup Wizard.
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

A question

Post by jamiecking76 »

I realize that the new calendar is still in beta stages; however, my question is this, will we have to create a new resource calendar or because of the layering capability, would that just be redundant?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:I realize that the new calendar is still in beta stages; however, my question is this, will we have to create a new resource calendar or because of the layering capability, would that just be redundant?
Given the design of the new calendar, a separate resource calendar seems problematic. The philosophy seems to be that you set up resources as part of the building location. For example, our stake center not only has the main location of "Stake Center", but it also has a chapel, Primary room, Cultural Hall, etc. It also has a data projector that I added as a custom resource.

When you schedule an event, it may be on any one of several calendars -- it might be on the Youth calendar, or the general stake events calendar, or the Primary calendar. But any of those events could use the data projector. The event appears on the appropriate calendar, but checks for resource conflicts across all calendars.

The weakness I see in regards to resources is that there is no longer a way to see the resource scheduling across the whole calendar. The one little feature in this regard is that you can highlight which events use which location. But that only shows the main locations. There is no way to see which resources are scheduled for what days. Under LUWS, I have a separate resource calendar for the data projector, and at a glance per month I can see every usage of that data projector and thus see days that are open. The current design of the new calendar seems to check for conflicts just fine, but doesn't give you much help in looking for open days on a resource basis. That would be a nice feature to add.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:The current design of the new calendar seems to check for conflicts just fine,
But does it check for conflicts in "setup"? For example, if the projector is used by Stake Presidency in room A that ends at 7PM, and the Relief Society schedules a meeting that uses it in room B starting a 7PM - it doesn't see a problem, right?

I'm sure the teacher would really like to set up at 6:45PM and the Stake Presidency could easily run long.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:But does it check for conflicts in "setup"? For example, if the projector is used by Stake Presidency in room A that ends at 7PM, and the Relief Society schedules a meeting that uses it in room B starting a 7PM - it doesn't see a problem, right?

I'm sure the teacher would really like to set up at 6:45PM and the Stake Presidency could easily run long.
There is currently no way to separate the timing for a resource to be different from the timing of the event, so it can't check for conflicts in setup or takedown time outside the actual event time. But I certainly agree that it would be useful -- I mentioned this request over three months ago in Resource scheduling in the beta Calendar.

In the meantime, I suppose we could handle this issue by:
  • Creating a separate calendar just for resources (but this would require double entry)
  • Creating extra calendar entries for setup/takedown in those cases where it is necessary. They could be put on a separate calendar so that they don't clutter the calendar for the majority of users.
But those are fairly ugly workarounds.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:But those are fairly ugly workarounds.
Agreed. IIRC, the issue was how to handle resources programmatically. I'd suggest a couple of fields: Setup and take down. It would indicate how many hours to pad just the resource portion of the event.

However, we may need to do that by resource used. For example, a dance might need 24 hours for room setup, but only a half hour for the projector.

Either way, it would be nice to see the resource scheduling - even if it's read only.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bkaz-p40

Post by bkaz-p40 »

I have also successfuly set up the sync link to Outlook and also Google Calendar. The outlook sync is very fast (I think you can manually set the refresh rate). The Google calendar's first sync was very fast too. However, if I update the LDS calendar it usually takes at least a couple hours to show up on the google calendar - while the outlook sync updates almost immediately.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

My wife found this one yesterday. You cannot access the December Visiting Teaching message on the site unless you search for it in the magazine. Going into serving in the church, RS, Visiting Teaching message does not give it to you and it should.
Troy
tomjohnson1492-p40

calendar

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

A future enhancement to the calendar will allow you to add padding around an event for setup and takedown time. I know that enhancement is currently planned and being worked on.

Re seeing a list of scheduled resources apart from the locations, I'll pass on this feedback to the IxD.

Return to “Calendar”