Replacement computers, how to??

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks for all your help. I got the new machine started. It has a sticker on the side that says Windows 7, but when it booted up it said Windows XP. I'm going to go for it. We'll see how it turns out.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

E&LDow wrote:It has a sticker on the side that says Windows 7, but when it booted up it said Windows XP.
New computers have been shipping that way for several (at least two) years now. The Church buys the computers with the Windows 7 license but reloads them with XP for the MLS administrative computers. The group license for XP covers that installation. When it comes time to upgrade to Windows 7 there will be no problem, license wise, to install Windows 7 since there will be no need to get the license from CHQ.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

E&LDow wrote:Thanks for all your help. I got the new machine started. It has a sticker on the side that says Windows 7, but when it booted up it said Windows XP. I'm going to go for it. We'll see how it turns out.
Good news!

Good luck.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I just got to do my first computer install yesterday. Mine is also a 580. It seems odd that the Church doesn't image it with all the standard software. Now I know why the instructions say to download the installers ahead of time to a removable drive, as they take a long time to download. And of course after downloading 90% of the security software it lost connection with the server, so I have to start over. The instructions don't say anything about enabling Windows updates, which after I did found 40 updates totaling over 100 MB, so that took a long time as well, and can't be done ahead of time. It would be nice if the version of XP was more current! The version of IE is really old too, and even the installer of Acrobat on the web site is pretty old.

So I haven't finished yet and determined that next time I'll do all this stuff before taking the computer over to the new ward. I was initially going to but didn't want to have to repack everything.

The computer I'm replacing is in really really bad shape. There are many many years' worth of stuff, and the software hasn't been updated in many many years. How much of the MLS backups do you recommend I copy over? The instructions say to copy the data folder; what about the units folder?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hemismith wrote:How much of the MLS backups do you recommend I copy over? The instructions say to copy the data folder; what about the units folder?
I like to keep around the last backup of each year because they give me the ability to see data that got deleted on January 1 (but it can be tricky to restore old backups). Other than that, I'd just keep a couple of months worth of backups; the odds of wanting to restore something older than that are very low.

The data folder has to be copied separately because it contains saved forms and financial statements that are not included in the backup. But the MLS backup will include everything in the database in the Units folder, so when you restore the backup, you'll get all that data. That's why it's not required to copy the Units folder. The one advantage of copying the Units folder is that you'll also get the last 10 or so automatic backups, just in case something went wrong in the last few MLS sessions. It can be sort of bulky, but copying the whole Units folder may provide a bit of insurance.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

This is my first install of a new computer also, obviously, in many years. Last time the machine came with a stack of CDs to install and that went easy. Well easier than this, and faster too.
It's much more involved than I expected, and the instructions are almost non-existant. I'm also unsure if there's a specific order that the software downloads should go in, or just random. I keep getting error messages for the Adobe Flash Player 8, but don't know why or what I'm doing wrong.
The Eraser says 16 bit or 32 bit, but I don't know how to tell which I need.
The Open Office took nearly three hours to download, not sure if I did it right.
When I went to move the documents from the old machine to the new one, I tried to send them to the flashdrive, then from the flashdrive to the new machine. But I did that before I downloaded the Open Office, so I don't know if it worked or not.
I just wish I knew what I'm doing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

E&LDow wrote:The Eraser says 16 bit or 32 bit, but I don't know how to tell which I need.
32-bit should be fine - but that's for the OLD computer. It's job is to "sanitize" the computer to remove any sensitive information before it's returned to the FM group.

You don't want to run it on the new computer - unless you want to practice reloading it again. ;)

Will this computer be connected to broadband or just dial-up?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks, your adviced prevented a major OOOOPPPPSSS!
It's on a DSL line, I guess that's broadband?
Also, I can't figure out how to get it to do the control/alt/delete thing and the "clerk" username/password thing to start it up.
Sorry to be such a dolt, but I didn't ask for this calling, either. As President Packer says callings are neither sought nor refused. Maybe I should have made an exception this time?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

E&LDow wrote:It's on a DSL line, I guess that's broadband?
Yes, DSL is a type of broadband Internet connection.
E&LDow wrote:Also, I can't figure out how to get it to do the control/alt/delete thing and the "clerk" username/password thing to start it up.
First of all, I took the liberty of editing your post, since you had inadvertently included a password.

So were you able to create the clerk account? Are you saying that the problem is that when the system starts up, it goes all the way to displaying the desktop without ever asking for a password? That's easily fixed. Or is something else going wrong?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Sorry about the faux pas in my earlier post, I'll be more careful.
When I first booted up the new machine, WindowsXP, It asked for administrator information and password. I put in our stuff. Then it asked for users, I put in Pres, Clerk, ExecSec, Asst's Clerks and Asst Exec Sec. That was it.
Now, when I turn the new machine on it brings up a screen with a listing of users, nothing about the clerk, cntl/alt/del etc. When I click on one of the users, it brings up the desktop for that user. And yes, they're different. Different documents, different "favorites" on the internet, different icons on the desktop, etc. What did I miss? Do I have to download software for each user?

Also, I'm still getting an error message: "Error 1904.module... blah,blah,... HRESULT-2147220473. Contact your support personnel." Now what do I do?
edit: How do you seperate out the quotes like that?

Return to “Clerk Computers”