Setup New Ward In MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ccmichaelson-p40

Setup New Ward In MLS

Post by ccmichaelson-p40 »

Our Stake just created a new ward. I have the unit number. I installed MLS and entered the unit number and did a send/receive but there's no membership data.

Our Stake realigned our Stake boundary from 3 wards to now a 4th, new ward. How do I get the membership records from the other 3 wards that now live within the new ward boundary?

Thanks,
Cameron
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

see the wiki article Boundary realignment (MLS) at the bottom of the page under Move households to another ward after a boundary realignment
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

The other 3 wards will have to follow the boundary realignment steps. After they do that they you will have members when you do a Send/Receive.
ccmichaelson-p40

Post by ccmichaelson-p40 »

Prior to my original post, I saw the boundary realignment docs and followed them by logging into ward A, moving 1 family to the new ward/unit and performed a send/receive. I then logged into the new ward's mls and did a send/receive but there's still no membership data.

Is there a lag? In fact, the only options I have in the new ward's MLS system is File, Edit, and Help. I'm logged in as an "out-of-unit administrator".

Thanks,
Cameron
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ccmichaelson wrote:Prior to my original post, I saw the boundary realignment docs and followed them by logging into ward A, moving 1 family to the new ward/unit and performed a send/receive. I then logged into the new ward's mls and did a send/receive but there's still no membership data.

Is there a lag? In fact, the only options I have in the new ward's MLS system is File, Edit, and Help. I'm logged in as an "out-of-unit administrator".
Yes, there is a lag. I don't know what it is now -- it used to be as much as 4 hours, but I think it's quicker now. But I'm sure it's not immediate.

It's no problem that you are an out-of-unit administrator -- your actions are the same as if you were in the unit.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

From my own recent experience, you're ward may not be fully set up in the church system(s) yet. It took a week to 10 days after we created a new ward for it to actually be part of all the systems - especially financial. I would call Local Unit Support to see if it's been created yet. While the process is surely rolling, a new unit cannot just be turned on. There are several systems the unit needs to be added to and each of them takes a couple days.

Even after it appears in CDOL it will take a few more days for the financial side to be up and running. This may also explain why nothing happened on the send/receive. Also, as mentioned, the other wards have to send their records to you or you must request them - this is not an automated task.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

crislapi wrote:...Also, as mentioned, the other wards have to send their records to you or you must request them - this is not an automated task.
Too true - for now. Following the development at maps.lds.org,
wouldn't it be great for all "verified" addresses to automatically
be moved to the new unit(s) after a boundry realignment ? It
would probably take a bit of work at CHQ to put such a system in
place, but imagine how much clerk-time would be saved, and how
much smoother the transition to the new unit would be.

- Atticus
pete_arnett-p40

New Unit Process

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

Thanks to "crislapi", Alan Brown and others for their postings

Please advise about the following steps in the new unit process:

Process:
1) Unit is created and Branch President or Bishop has been set apart
2) Information Change Request (ICR) form needs to be sent to headquarters, after step 1
3) Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders (CDOL) can be setup, may take about three (3) working days, after headquarters receives the form, afterstep 2 above
4) MLS and Finance will be setup by headquarters, may take up to three (3) working days, after step 3 above,
5) Move members to the
new unit from their old unit, after step 4 above - See Wiki "Boundary realignment (MLS)", section "Move households to another ward after a boundary realignment" at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Bou ... ealignment
6) Tithing envelopes can be ordered, will take about three (3) weeks for them to arrive, after step 4 above

Fax the "Information Change Request" (ICR) form to801-240-2782
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
pete_arnett-p40

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

------------------------------------
Please advise of any additional items or steps that may need to be added
Thanks to everyone for your postings
------------------------------------

A) Stake Presidencies consider boundary realignment (they have carefully studied the situation and prayed for direction)
1) Use the Stake map from Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders (CDOL) or request a map from headquarters
2) Use Member and Leader Services (MLS) software to consider proposal changes to a unit boundaries and create model units - see Wiki "Boundary realignment (MLS)" at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Bou ... ealignment

B) Current units, confirm that membership address and geographies (GEO) codes are current in MLS

C) Stake submits boundary change proposal through appropriate channels to the First Presidency for approval
1) use the Ward and Branch Organization Application

D) Upon approval from the First Presidency

---------
1) Unit is created and Branch President or Bishop has been set apart

2) Notify your local Facilities Management Group (FM) about the new unit, after step 1 above
a) Request new telephone services for new unit, if there is not an existing service that can be used - see Wiki (being updated) "Stake & ward telephone service" https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Stake_%26_ward_telephone_service
b) Request MLS desktop and printer for new unit, if there is not existing devices that can be used, may take up to three (3) weeks

3)
Leader and Unit Change Request form. it can be completed electronically in the stake's MLS. Alternate method is to fax a copy to headquarters 801-240-2782

4) Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders (CDOL) setup, may take about three (3) working days, after headquarters receives the form, after step 1 above

5) MLS and Finance will be setup by headquarters, may take up to three (3) working days, after step 4 above

6) New Unit is added to Facilities Management Group's "FMAT", may take up to three (3) working days, after step 4 above
a) Facilities Management staff updates unit's information (property number, etc.) in "FMAT" for input to Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders (CDOL)

7) Move members to the new unit from their old unit, after step 5 above - see Wiki "Boundary realignment (MLS)",
section "Move households to another ward after a boundary realignment" at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Bou ... ealignment

8) Tithing envelopes can be ordered, will take about two (2) weeks for them to arrive, after step 5 above
a)Tithing envelopes can be ordered by unit's Bishop or Branch President or Clerk, call 1-800-537-5971 Option #3

9) Telephone Services
a) Install new service, if there is not an existing service that can be used
b) Install privacy exclusion adapter, allows for only one person (handset) to be active at a time

10) MLS Desktop, Printer and Wireless Adapter
a) Installation of MLS devices. if there is not existing devices that can be used or shared
b) Do a Send/Rec to receive the MLS download(s)
c) Setup MLS for unit's language and for which language MLS will print checks

11) Bank Signature Form
a) Print out a new bank signature form from MLS and have the new Branch President or Bishopric and appropriate Clerks sign it and mail the form to headquarters. , after step 10 above
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

pete_arnett wrote:------------------------------------
3) Information Change Request (ICR) form for new unit needs to be sent to headquarters, after step 1, form can be faxed to 801-240-2782
This is now called Leader and Unit Change Request form. Also it can be completed electronically in the stake MLS.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”