FHC Director standard calling

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan_Brown wrote:The "not available" part is not an issue at all. We have indeed entered our FHC director in stake MLS using the standard calling. My real question is how to have our FHC Director show up in the stake's CDOL and thus in the Stake Leadership section of beta.lds.org. That's where we tell stake members to go in order to see the key stake leaders.
There is a Stake Family History Center Director defined in CDOL for the stake. I'm not sure how to get it in via MLS, but I can play with that some more.

I can put them in via CDOL and see how it comes down to MLS if you would like.

Also on Monday I can ask around for how they get in as the Family History Center Director on a Family History Center.

Alan in your stake's case it looks like he is correctly listed on the Family History Center.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

ryan jones wrote:There is a Stake Family History Center Director defined in CDOL for the stake. I'm not sure how to get it in via MLS, but I can play with that some more.
I looked in MLS and under Family History it is called Stake Family History Director
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryan jones wrote:I looked in MLS and under Family History it is called Stake Family History Director
Well, I can use that calling, but MLS needs to be fixed, and perhaps CDOL as well. The director of the FHC does not direct Family History in the stake, so that's a misleading title if that's what we have to choose in MLS to get "Stake Family History Center Director" in CDOL. And as I mentioned earlier, there is a Stake Family History Center Assistant Director in MLS, which does seem correct.

But it also seems odd that the MLS standard calling "History Center Director" gets put in CDOL as a custom calling. That calling should probably not even exist in MLS, but I would think that a standard calling in MLS should always go to a standard calling in CDOL.

In any case, thanks for the tip. I'll try "Stake Family History Director" in MLS tomorrow and see if it indeed maps to the "Stake Family History Center Director" in CDOL.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:That wasn't my question, but upon further reflection, that would seem to toss out my speculation that these callings would be entered through some other means.
I don't think it would "toss out" the idea. I think it would validate that. I assume they are placed there via the FHD.
Alan_Brown wrote:I suppose it also means that they would have access to whatever sites are needed with their LDS Account.
Currently that would be the Family History Online Guide. That site has been around as long if not longer then LUWS. It uses the (old) FamilySearch login. Our last FHC Director worked with the FHD so I have access as well. Among other things, that site is where you enter the hours of operation of your FHC. It's also how one finds the policy on computers in the FHC. Since you function as the STS, it might be a good idea to talk to your FHC Director on how you can get access.

Maybe some future incarnation will automatically get rights via the CDOL - probably when it switches to LDS Account.
Alan_Brown wrote:My real question is how to have our FHC Director show up in the stake's CDOL and thus in the Stake Leadership section of beta.lds.org. That's where we tell stake members to go in order to see the key stake leaders.
Well, the problem is the relationship between centers and stakes is not 1:1. Some stakes belong to a multi-stake or even regional FHC. As such, not all stakes have a FHC Director. In some cases, where the stake is spread out, there may be more then one FHC within the stake boundaries.

So from an information system architectural standpoint, I think the relationship between stakes and FHC is more like temple districts, missions or institutes. The difference is that in many cases the relationship is 1:1.

In my opinion, if it's desired to show that information the beta directory, it should be traversing the "associated units" to find the associated FHC(s) and pulling the information from there. Or in the short term to allow custom callings to show up there.

Now, I'm sure there's a stake position that's in charge of Family History work in the stake, but that's not that same as the FHC Director.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryan jones wrote:I looked in MLS and under Family History it is called Stake Family History Director
To close the loop on this issue, I can report that indeed the MLS standard calling "Stake Family History Director" (which is clearly incorrectly named) does map to the CDOL calling "Stake Family History Center Director" (which is an appropriate name). The stake FHC director also now appears correctly in the beta.lds.org stake leadership directory.

I know that some people have raised issues regarding multi-stake FHCs and how data regarding such callings may flow between MLS and CDOL and the Family History Department, but I did finally get my question answered, and I'll let others pursue those bigger issues.

I have sent feedback to Local Unit Support about these poorly named callings in stake MLS.

Thanks to Ryan for pointing me to the linkage between MLS and CDOL for these callings.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Now, I'm sure there's a stake position that's in charge of Family History work in the stake, but that's not that same as the FHC Director.
The only stake position in charge of Family History work in the stake (besides the stake president, of course) is the high councilor assigned to oversee family history work. There is no such thing as a Stake Family History Director. See the Administrative Guide for Family History.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:the MLS standard calling "Stake Family History Director" (which is clearly incorrectly named)
I agree with that. Family History work at the stake level is the task of the assigned stake High Councillor. There is a title called "Stake family record extraction director", but that's clearly not the same thing. (Although with the history of changes in the name extraction program, it gives fuel to speculation on how that might have come about.)

Alan_Brown wrote:"Stake Family History Center Director" (which is an appropriate name).
Can you show me documentation for that? I've looked in the Administrative Guide for Family History and Operations Guide (2006 revision) and can not find "Stake Family History Center" much less "Stake Family History Center Director". What I do find is "Family History Centers in the stake". The one document I have not been able to consult is Book 2.

Unless someone can show me otherwise, I think they're both incorrect. The only title I can find is simply "Family History Center Director".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Alan_Brown wrote:The only stake position in charge of Family History work in the stake (besides the stake president, of course) is the high councilor assigned to oversee family history work. There is no such thing as a Stake Family History Director. See the Administrative Guide for Family History.
Some stakes will have a stake family record extraction (indexing) director at the stake level.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I guess it comes down to local priesthood authority and how they wish to implement the program at the stake/ward level. Obviously the position of Stake Family History Center Director is currently considered a Standard Calling in MLS.

In our stake the Stake Family History Center Director works directly with the Stake High Councilor over Family History.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Can you show me documentation for that? I've looked in the Administrative Guide for Family History and Operations Guide (2006 revision) and can not find "Stake Family History Center" much less "Stake Family History Center Director". What I do find is "Family History Centers in the stake". The one document I have not been able to consult is Book 2.

Unless someone can show me otherwise, I think they're both incorrect. The only title I can find is simply "Family History Center Director".
I can see your argument, but if there is someone who has been called as a "Family History Center Director" (clearly a correct title), and that person is called by a stake and serves in the stake over the FHC in the stake, then it is also correct to say that they are the stake Family History Center Director. Note that I put the "stake" in lowercase to show that they are the Family History Center Director for the stake. But since all callings are capitalized, that would make them the Stake Family History Center Director. I would prefer it if the standard calling were simply "Family History Center Director", but I don't particularly mind including the "Stake" modifier for the reasons I stated above.

Almost all FHCs (not counting the few regional FHCs) are assigned to a particular stake, although they may serve one or more additional stakes. For the stake they are assigned to, that stake can enter the calling. But you raise a good point that all the other stakes have no good way to note who is the FHC Director, since he or she resides in another stake. So it would be nice if the Church figured out how to make that information accessible to members of the other stakes served by the FHC.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”