FHC Director standard calling

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

FHC Director standard calling

Post by aebrown »

In stake MLS, I am unable to find a standard calling that works properly for a Family History Center Director.

When you look at the list of standard callings in the Family History organization in stake MLS, the position "History Center Director" looks like the most reasonable choice. It's a bit odd that it's not "Family History Center Director", but there's no other choice that would describe the director of the actual FHC. There's a "Family History Director" but I don't think that's even a valid calling anymore. And there's a "Stake Family History Center Assistant Director", which is particularly strange given that one would assume that any "assistant" position would have a corresponding position.

But when I add someone to the "History Center Director" standard calling, two related odd things happen:
  1. In CDOL, the calling appears in orange, which is an indication that CDOL considers it to be a custom calling. (I did verify that there was a star by the calling when I entered it in MLS and that there is no custom calling by the same name.)
  2. The position does not appear in the beta.lds.org Directory in the Stake Leadership area. Our extraction directors do appear in CDOL as standard callings and in the Stake Leadership of beta.lds.org, but not the FHC director.
I would think that a FHC Director would be an important position to identify, so that with his LDS Account he could access certain privileged websites, once they switch over to using LDS Account.

Am I missing something here?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I serve as both a "Stake Family History Center Director" as well as the STS for our stake. When I check the CDOL for my FHCD position it appears as a standard calling (not in orange). So I would have to assume that the position of "Stake Family History Center Director" is an official position.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

techgy wrote:I serve as both a "Stake Family History Center Director" as well as the STS for our stake. When I check the CDOL for my FHCD position it appears as a standard calling (not in orange). So I would have to assume that the position of "Stake Family History Center Director" is an official position.
But how was that specific position (Stake Family History Center Director) entered into MLS since it is not available in the standard positions list as described by Alan.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:But how was that specific position (Stake Family History Center Director) entered into MLS since it is not available in the standard positions list as described by Alan.
That was going to be my question. Could it be that there is a different process, perhaps through the Family History Department, which gets these callings into CDOL? That's pure speculation, but if that happens to be true, we would go through an entirely different procedure to try to fix it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just to ask the obvious, you are checking in the Stake's MLS and not a training copy of MLS? Just in case something has been sent down to fix that.
Alan_Brown wrote:Could it be that there is a different process, perhaps through the Family History Department, which gets these callings into CDOL?
That's certainly an idea worth following up on since I do remember the FHD being contacted to set up the new director with them. However, our FHC Directors are showing up in orange as well. If the information comes from the FHD, then I'd expect to see a set of FHC callings in black.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

D'OH! FHCs are separate units with their own unit numbers. You can find them under "Associated Units" in the CDOL. I went and looked up my stake's FHC and sure enough, there they are, in black.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suppose now the real question is how do you enter the FHC director so that MLS shows them as having a calling and are not "available"?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:D'OH! FHCs are separate units with their own unit numbers. You can find them under "Associated Units" in the CDOL. I went and looked up my stake's FHC and sure enough, there they are, in black.
I was well aware of that. That wasn't my question, but upon further reflection, that would seem to toss out my speculation that these callings would be entered through some other means. I suppose it also means that they would have access to whatever sites are needed with their LDS Account.
RussellHltn wrote:I suppose now the real question is how do you enter the FHC director so that MLS shows them as having a calling and are not "available"?
The "not available" part is not an issue at all. We have indeed entered our FHC director in stake MLS using the standard calling. My real question is how to have our FHC Director show up in the stake's CDOL and thus in the Stake Leadership section of beta.lds.org. That's where we tell stake members to go in order to see the key stake leaders.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Just to ask the obvious, you are checking in the Stake's MLS and not a training copy of MLS? Just in case something has been sent down to fix that.
That's a little too obvious to ask. I wouldn't be talking about how our FHC Director appears in the CDOL if I were using a training copy of MLS for this issue.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:I suppose now the real question is how do you enter the FHC director so that MLS shows them as having a calling and are not "available"?
I wasn't the person who put the FHC Directory position into the stake system. I believe it was either the Stake Clerk or another Asst. Clerk. I'll try and find out and see if I can determine how it was done.

However, just to clarify things a little. Our stake doesn't have an official FHC as part of it's units. The position of FHC Director in our stake is treated as a stake calling and I work with each of the wards in guiding the FH efforts in the stake.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”