Tax ID numbers....Does each Ward have one?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rwebb-p40

Tax ID numbers....Does each Ward have one?

Post by rwebb-p40 »

I'm asking because our Cub Scouts recently made an agreement with a local restaurant to have 20% of all proceeds on a certain day donated to them. The restaurant needs a Tax ID, and I'm not sure if the Ward has one or if there is a general ID used for the church in general. Of course nobody in the Ward remembers what number was provided in the past or where the number they used could be located.

Thanks for your help on advance.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Greetings, and a warm welcome to the forum.

I'd sure hate to steer you wrong, so for tax related questions, you're probably best off contacting the Church directly at...

Tax Administration
50 East North Temple Street, Room 2223
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3620
Telephone: 1-801-240-3003 or 1-800-453-3860, extension 2-3003

Cheers,
Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rwebb-p40

Post by rwebb-p40 »

Thanks Mike, I will contact them!
jjemmett

Post by jjemmett »

Thanks for the information. I had much the same problem. The people at the Tax Administration told me that each Stake has a federal tax id number and that the wards under the stake share it. They were very helpful and found the id number for me very quickly.
00dave

Post by 00dave »

Thanks for the info. I just called and was told that it's now just one number for the entire church, which is 23-7300405. (also found here... http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/planne ... tions.html)
kh_design

very useful link

Post by kh_design »

00dave wrote:Thanks for the info. I just called and was told that it's now just one number for the entire church, which is 23-7300405. (also found here... http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/planne ... tions.html)
Great research 00dave, the link you provided in your post is very useful.

As was pointed out in this post the same EIN number is used for any Church Unit, Stake, Ward or Branch in the US.
kh_design wrote:As calebpusey stated in the quote above, "This can be obtained for the stake by contacting the Tax Administration Department at CHQ."

By the way, the Church's EIN, Employer identification number, is now included on the official donor's tax statement. Take a look at your own official donor's tax statement and you will find the Church's EIN under the Church's headquarters address.

This is, of course and possibly could go without saying, only applicable to Church units and members in the US.
Also noted the observation of the same EIN number in this post.
Mikerowaved wrote:Interesting. The EIN printed on my year end statement from the ward and also direct from the church from the donations-in-kind folks both match the number rontilby posted above.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

kh_design wrote:As was pointed out in this post the same EIN number is used for any Church Unit, Stake, Ward or Branch in the US.
Actually, in the U.S., each stake has its own EIN number; the wards are under the umbrella of the stake and use its EIN.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mlh78 wrote:Actually, in the U.S., each stake has its own EIN number; the wards are under the umbrella of the stake and use its EIN.

Many years ago, when stakes employed custodians, each stake in the U.S. applied for and received an EIN number from the IRS. Any stake that had a number still has one, but there are not a lot of stakes that know what that number is any longer.

And any stake that was created since the need to pay custodians probably does not have an EIN unless they have applied for one for some other reason.

The Church, as an employer, has an EIN, and that is the number that appears on the U.S. tax statements each January.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

Our stake is brand new and headquarters mailed us an EIN that is different than the one mentioned above.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mlh78 wrote:Our stake is brand new and headquarters mailed us an EIN that is different than the one mentioned above.

Very interesting. We are a year old, and never got an EIN. Or, at least, got told we had one.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”