sync won't work for Google Calendar or Apple iCal

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

Thank you for all the updates and continued testing that you have all put into this feature. We realize this is a feature that many, many people rely upon and count as one of the critical pieces to the calendar technology. We know right now that it is not working very well if at all. And to be frank we haven't had a chance to dig into it yet as we are working to resolve other issues related to stability and performance scaling of the directory and lds tools products. We do not have a scheduled time frame for working on calendar again. It is most certainly in our queue and we are continuing to test the issues listed here in the forum and log them in our tracking system.

As we move forward we will keep you updated here in the forum when we have updates that need testing. Thank you again for all your help and hard work. It makes a very big difference to us and to the many, many users of these products.
jedware

Post by jedware »

I will just add my voice to the chorus of users that rely on this feature. Is there any way to raise the priority of getting this fixed?

Our Stake is in the middle of finalizing the calendar for next year in order for Wards to begin their planning. We usually have this done by the first of November but there have been numerous outages with the calendar on lds.org that have prevented the completion.

I would have to think we are not the only Stake trying to finalize our yearly calendar. It would be helpful to at least know what time frame we can expect a fix. Are we talking days, weeks or months?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jedware wrote:I will just add my voice to the chorus of users that rely on this feature. Is there any way to raise the priority of getting this fixed?

Our Stake is in the middle of finalizing the calendar for next year in order for Wards to begin their planning. We usually have this done by the first of November but there have been numerous outages with the calendar on lds.org that have prevented the completion.

I would have to think we are not the only Stake trying to finalize our yearly calendar. It would be helpful to at least know what time frame we can expect a fix. Are we talking days, weeks or months?

This thread deals only with the sync, and that's what LisaAn was talking about in the post that preceded yours. Yet you seem to be talking about the calendar on LDS.org in general. Yes, there have been a couple of outages, but nothing that should have any significant impact on whether your stake can finalize its yearly calendar. I am the main calendar administrator for my stake, and no outage has stopped me from completing the stake calendar.

Are you saying that your ability to finish your calendar is hampered by:
  • the sync problems (which are very real);
  • the small number of brief outages of the calendar on LDS.org; or
  • some other problem with the calendar on LDS.org
I wouldn't think that sync would be an essential element to finalizing your calendar, but if it is, it would be helpful to understand how sync is integrated in your stake's calendaring process.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
murrayhr

Post by murrayhr »

kyleq wrote:Thank you for all the updates and continued testing that you have all put into this feature. We realize this is a feature that many, many people rely upon and count as one of the critical pieces to the calendar technology. We know right now that it is not working very well if at all. And to be frank we haven't had a chance to dig into it yet as we are working to resolve other issues related to stability and performance scaling of the directory and lds tools products. We do not have a scheduled time frame for working on calendar again. It is most certainly in our queue and we are continuing to test the issues listed here in the forum and log them in our tracking system.

As we move forward we will keep you updated here in the forum when we have updates that need testing. Thank you again for all your help and hard work. It makes a very big difference to us and to the many, many users of these products.

Since we are unable to sync, can there be a way to export the calendar as file that can be imported to our devices?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

murrayhr wrote:Since we are unable to sync, can there be a way to export the calendar as file that can be imported to our devices?
Unfortunately, the only way that currently exists to export the calendar relies on the sync service. So when sync is unavailable, export is unavailable.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jedware

Post by jedware »

aebrown wrote:This thread deals only with the sync, and that's what LisaAn was talking about in the post that preceded yours. Yet you seem to be talking about the calendar on LDS.org in general. Yes, there have been a couple of outages, but nothing that should have any significant impact on whether your stake can finalize its yearly calendar. I am the main calendar administrator for my stake, and no outage has stopped me from completing the stake calendar.

Are you saying that your ability to finish your calendar is hampered by:

• the sync problems (which are very real);
  • the small number of brief outages of the calendar on LDS.org; or
  • some other problem with the calendar on LDS.org
I wouldn't think that sync would be an essential element to finalizing your calendar, but if it is, it would be helpful to understand how sync is integrated in your stake's calendaring process.

We just have experienced outages for the past several Sundays and some weekdays and were unable to make edits or changes.

Likewise we use the sync\export to feed into our Stake Newsletter\Bulletin as a way for sending communication to the wards.
mwgrover

Post by mwgrover »

Sync has worked for me again starting yesterday. Did a refresh this morning with no problems. Keeping my fingers crossed that it holds up.

(Mac OS X, Safari, iCal)
talbotje

Post by talbotje »

Sync is also working again for me as well. It's been working for a little more than a day now. :)

However, for some reason I can't get the calendar items to show up on my iOS devices. They show just fine on the Mac in iCal and the subscribed calendar shows in the list of calendars on my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) but no items show in the calendar. This happened once before and syncing between the Mac and iPhone via usb cable made the calendar events magically appear but that hasn't worked this time. If anyone has an idea or fix for this issue, I'd love to hear it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

talbotje wrote:However, for some reason I can't get the calendar items to show up on my iOS devices. They show just fine on the Mac in iCal and the subscribed calendar shows in the list of calendars on my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) but no items show in the calendar. This happened once before and syncing between the Mac and iPhone via usb cable made the calendar events magically appear but that hasn't worked this time. If anyone has an idea or fix for this issue, I'd love to hear it.

The sync service is limited to provide the synchronization data for a particular person no more than once every 9 minutes. So, for example, if your Mac's iCal is set to request the sync data every hour on the hour, and your iPhone does it every hour at 2 minutes after the hour, and your iPad does it every hour at 4 minutes after the hour, the request by the Mac would succeed, but the other two requests would fail, since they are happening less than 9 minutes after the previous request.

That's just one possibility, but it might be worth looking into.
andrewpalmer

It Works!

Post by andrewpalmer »

Got it to work for connecting to my google calendar.

Now all I need it to do is connect to my ipad.

Thanks for the work on this everyone!

- Andrew

Return to “Calendar”