MLS 3.5 Rollout Status

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
krebsj
Church Employee
Church Employee

MLS 3.5 Rollout Status

Post by krebsj »

Here is the latest status on the MLS 3.5 rollout:

1. Over the past few weeks we have staged MLS 3.5 to all units in all areas of the world with the exception of: Asia, Asia North, Central America, North America Central, North America Northeast, North America Northwest, North America Southeast, North America Southwest, North America West
2. We are staging the latest build of MLS 3.5 to the following new areas today: Utah North, Utah South
3. The schedule for rolling out to the remaining areas is still being determined. The areas will be notified in advance before we rollout to them. The notification will come as an email to all clerks in a unit as well as an MLS message to each unit.

Finally, we have created a new URL for MLS 3.5 and all new versions of MLS going forward where the latest information about a release can be obtained: http://www.lds.org/mlsupdate.

Thanks!

-Justin
R. Justin Krebs :)
MLS Product Manager
giffordrb

Post by giffordrb »

3.5.0_21007 beta has been released to units mentioned in items 1 and 2 in the post above. The installer should be on lds.org/mlsupdate soon.
Ryan Gifford
MLS
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

KrebsJ wrote:Here is the latest status on the MLS 3.5 rollout:

1. Over the past few weeks we have staged MLS 3.5 to all units in all areas of the world with the exception of: Asia, Asia North, Central America, North America Central, North America Northeast, North America Northwest, North America Southeast, North America Southwest, North America West
2. We are staging the latest build of MLS 3.5 to the following new areas today: Utah North, Utah South
3. The schedule for rolling out to the remaining areas is still being determined. The areas will be notified in advance before we rollout to them. The notification will come as an email to all clerks in a unit as well as an MLS message to each unit.

Finally, we have created a new URL for MLS 3.5 and all new versions of MLS going forward where the latest information about a release can be obtained: http://www.lds.org/mlsupdate.

Thanks!

-Justin
Thanks for the information. However, now I'm confused again. After speaking to LUS this morning on an un-related issue, I inquired as to the schedule for the 3.5 roll-out and was told that it would be going to everyone on Oct 30th sometime during that day. From what you're telling me that information that I was given isn't true. As I've already informed our clerks as to the 'proposed' schedule, I'm wondering what my next step is.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

The update went fairly well for me at the Stake level. A few notes:

MLS automatically upgraded to 3.5 after the Send/Receive to send check. Said to exit and restart to apply changes. Did so and nothing happened. Did it again, still nothing. Did another Send/Receive and was again told download had completed and to restart MLS. This time showed version 3.5 and was prompted, after logging in, to check release notes. After twenty minutes, ran Send/Receive and was told that things were completed and should work again. Still cannot access Payees. Tried logout and even reloading MLS to no avail. Waited a while (twenty more minutes) and did another Send/Receive and was told, again, that functionality was restored. This time was forced to logoff. Finance functionality restored.

Sorry those are brief.... I'm a little less verbose with my own notes than I am writing normally.

The MLS Release Notes have some great information for finance in particular contained within. Of particular interest, after a database restore MLS verifies deposits and checks with HQ which probably finally makes a restore much less risky. Superb!

Enhanced Donor Merge capability - that will be interesting to see.

New series of messages when things are not synchronized properly

Improved missing-donation functionality.

Also, previously discussed in this forum, the painfully slow byte-by-byte backup process is fixed. I backed up 72 MB in about thirty seconds, down from about twenty minutes. To whomever took that, on, thank-you for saving my Stake President's life on Sunday evenings letting him go home. I literally thought something had gone wrong and backed up the database a second time just to watch the megabytes accumulate.

MLS 3.5.0_20992, btw.
gwagley

Not too shabby

Post by gwagley »

I did a Send/Receive and saw the patch get pulled. MLS informed me to exit and restart MLS. I did but it was still on 3.4.3. Did another Send/Receive, saw more files being pulled down, again told to exit and restart. This time the version was 3.5. I think it took maybe a total of 30 minutes for the membership and finance to unlock. I'm still checking through our callings by organization to make sure we didn't lose anything. So far it looks fine. MLS Version 3.5.0_21007
giffordrb

Post by giffordrb »

3.5_21021 was just released. No new units were added to the release group for this one.

One problem that was fixed from last weeks build had to do with some units missing whole organizations (new units), and others missing positions or callings, or not being able to authorize finances because of these. If you suspect these then you will want to request a unit refresh in MLS, choosing the membership option. Doing a send/receive will send the request, with another 30 minutes later or so to pull the refresh down.
Ryan Gifford
MLS
Alovett2036

MLS update communication

Post by Alovett2036 »

Will there be any direct communication about when MLS 3.5 will occur, or do I need to just keep checking the forums for information? Since I originally got an email about the update in mid-September, I am not sure why information is not being sent directly to the clerks. It seems like that would be a lot more effective than just posting things on these forums, which I'm sure not all clerks will even know how to find.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

alovett2036 wrote:Will there be any direct communication about when MLS 3.5 will occur, . . .
Justin Krebs, MLS Product Manager, said back in the very first post of this thread:
KrebsJ wrote:3. The schedule for rolling out to the remaining areas is still being determined. The areas will be notified in advance before we rollout to them. The notification will come as an email to all clerks in a unit as well as an MLS message to each unit.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

I just got the email notification from mlssupport@ldschurch.org. It looks like this:
To: UNIT CLERKS

Beginning Tuesday, November 6th, you will be able to upgrade to MLS version 3.5 by performing a Send/Receive Changes in MLS. You should have received instructions recently with steps to prepare for and upgrade to MLS version 3.5. Visit http://www.lds.org/mlsupdate for more information. In order to avoid delays processing finances, plan to complete the upgrade to version 3.5 prior to Sunday, November 11th if possible.

If you experience any problems with this new version, please provide feedback by e-mail to mlssupport@ldschurch.org. In the e-mail subject line type: MLS 3.5 feedback. In the e-mail message, give specific details of any issues you find.

Thank you for your assistance.
I'm in Texas.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

subtlecoolness wrote:I'm in Texas.

Texas is in the North America Southwest Area. So if you are also in that area, you might wish to look for a similar message.

Of course, the next phase of the rollout might not be limited just to the NASW Area. Either way, it appears that the reach of MLS 3.5 is about to expand again.

Over the years with MLS, I have learned that when there are troubles with a particular upgrade, especially a major one such as this, it is sometimes easiest just to pull the installer file from the Church site and run it on the computer having problems. In almost every case, this has resolved pesky issues and saved many calls to Local Unit Support.

If you choose to do this for MLS 3.5, remember that you will still have to go through the Send/Receive process that has been outlined elsewhere.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”