pdf attachment not recognised

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
knealewj

pdf attachment not recognised

Post by knealewj »

Hi,

My pdf issue is a little different to the above.

I have successfully uploaded a pdf document of 296kB. It is a flyer to introduce stake members to the new resources available at lds.org...
lds.org flyer.pdf
(295.37 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
. I then tested my new newsletter in the same way anyone would use it. I downloaded the new attachment, but it was not recognised as a pdf document. However, when I told Win XP to open it with Adobe Reader, it opened correctly.

I have tried dragging and dropping the pdf, adding the pdf using the newsletter menu option, I have renamed the pdf with .pdf at the end. Each time it is renamed to "file" and has no extension associated with it.

Can anyone provide a solution? Thanks!!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

knealewj wrote:I have successfully uploaded a pdf document of 296kB. It is a flyer to introduce stake members to the new resources available at lds.org... . I then tested my new newsletter in the same way anyone would use it. I downloaded the new attachment, but it was not recognised as a pdf document. However, when I told Win XP to open it with Adobe Reader, it opened correctly.

[Moderator Note: I moved this topic to a new thread from the thread Unable to attach PDF, because it is a different issue.]

Thanks for the specific example. The filename gave me some ideas for investigation, and I think I've figured out the kinds of filenames that give a problem:

If the filename for a file uploaded to the Newsletter contains a period and later contains a space (before the file extension) then when the article is saved, the attachment will have the filename "file" and because it does not have an extension, its filetype will not be recognized.

Note that this rule seems to be rather specific. The following names will exhibit the problem:
  • lds.org flyer.pdf
  • a.b c.doc
  • Black vs. White.xls
But the following will all work:
  • lds.org_flyer.pdf (no space)
  • a b.c.doc (the space is before the period)
  • ldsorg flyer.pdf (no period before the extension)
So either of the two minor adjustments I made in your filename above should enable you to safely upload your file. I'll make sure the development team sees this so they can schedule a fix, but in the meantime, that should allow you to move forward.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Newsletter”