Full List of Permissions for Website Administrator

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
fernsten

Full List of Permissions for Website Administrator

Post by fernsten »

What permissions does the Website Administrator gain beyond just the ability to upload pictures to the ward directory? Can they edit the calendar, lesson schedule and newsletter? Can anything be done to restrict access to these additional tools?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

fernsten wrote:What permissions does the Website Administrator gain beyond just the ability to upload pictures to the ward directory?
You'd need to check the help file for each application.

fernsten wrote:Can they edit the calendar, lesson schedule and newsletter?
I assume you're talking about the ward website admin, since the stake one cannot add photos.

Calendar: No, not by default.
Lesson Schedules: Yes.
Newsletter: Yes.
fernsten wrote:Can anything be done to restrict access to these additional tools?
No.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

RussellHltn wrote: Calendar: No, not by default.

Actually, the Ward Website Administrator is a default administrator for the Calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Actually, the Ward Website Administrator is a default administrator for the Calendar.

Not according to the calendar help file. The stake website admin is a default admin for the stake calendar, but there's no such verbiage for the ward website admin. However, the person could be added.

Are you finding something different?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

RussellHltn wrote:Not according to the calendar help file. The stake website admin is a default admin for the stake calendar, but there's no such verbiage for the ward website admin. However, the person could be added.

Are you finding something different?

I'm going by the actual list of administrators on the Administrators screen of the calendar. It shows the Website Administrator as having default admin rights based on calling. I'm confident the help file is in error. The older help on the wiki had the website administrator listed as recently as May. It must have been lost when moving to the new help system. As far as I can recall, the website administrator has had default admin rights since the calendar first came out and I haven't seen any evidence (except the current help file) that it has changed.
WayneMcK

Post by WayneMcK »

This is an extremely well timed post. I've just collated the Directory/Calendar/Lesson Schedules/Newsletter Roles from the various Help pages into a spreadsheet, which anyone can access from my Dropox here:

Mac: Numbers format: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45521105/Rights%20and%20Roles.numbers
Win: Excel format: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45521105/Rights%20and%20Roles.xls
pdf: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45521105/Rights%20and%20Roles.pdf

I found some of the Help pages very specific (Directory & Calendar) whilst Lesson Schedule & Newsletter were less so. i.e. referring to specific Assist. Clerks or just generically or Leaders vs Listing all members of a presidency. So my matrix makes some assumptions, and we all know what that leads to.

So apart from the apparent omission of Calendar Administrator rights for the Ward Website Administrator - which I've now amended on my matrix - I'd appreciate if anyone could spot any other errors or omissions.

Thanks
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

WayneMcK wrote:I'd appreciate if anyone could spot any other errors or omissions.
Very well done. Thanks!

One thing I found is I'm listed in the CDOL as Stake Assistant Clerk and I also have Home Ward Administrator rights for the Lesson Schedule.
WayneMcK

Post by WayneMcK »

Mikerowaved wrote:One thing I found is I'm listed in the CDOL as Stake Assistant Clerk and I also have Home Ward Administrator rights for the Lesson Schedule.
Thanks for taking the time to have a look, I've updated all three versions.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Your effort is very much appreciated! Your timing is impeccable, as we are just looking at calling someone to take responsibility for the Newsletter, in our Ward!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

WayneMcK wrote:I'd appreciate if anyone could spot any other errors or omissions.
From personal experience I can tell you that the ward assistant clerk has administrator rights in Lesson Schedules. Since I have both the ward assistant clerk and ward assistant clerk - finance positions in MLS I can't currently verify that the ward assistant clerk - finance has administrator rights in Lesson Schedules or Newsletter. But that position did have administrator rights for both applications when I only had that position listed in MLS a few months ago.

For Lesson Schedules where positions are listed to have "Add Classes (not Events)" rights it would be more correct to say those positions have "Add/Edit Classes (not Events)" rights. A note for those rights would be that those add/edit rights are only for the classes under their responsibility. For example the High Priest Group Leader should only be able to add or edit classes for the High Priests and no other organization.

I notice that you have limited who has editor rights under the Calendar application and publisher rights under Newsletter. This must be the way your unit has set things up. But this matrix could give the impression that those listed are granted those rights by default since you have provided a way to indicate that administrators can add anyone as an administrator or editor for the Calendar and administrator or publisher for the Newsletter on the line position for "Anyone (added by an Administrator)".

In reviewing your matrix I have noted a help documentation problem for the Calendar and Newsletter roles. Your matrix implies that any calendar administrator can add other calendar administrators. Only default administrators, those with administrator rights by virtue of holding a certain calling, can add or remove other administrators who are not default administrators. The same is true for the Newsletter application. I will post this missing help documentation in another thread as well as provide feedback through the appropriate applications' feedback links.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Main Church Website”