Extending recurring events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
wkadams

Extending recurring events

Post by wkadams »

We are starting our scheduling for 2013. The thought was that we would edit the recurring events and extend the end date to 31 Dec 2013. For 2012, the end date had been set to 31 Dec 2012. This action places the recurring events on the 2013 calendar however all location information is lost. We tried to copy the event but that loses all recurring information. I would think that extending the end date should not lose the location information and should be fixed. Any suggestions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wkadams wrote:We are starting our scheduling for 2013. The thought was that we would edit the recurring events and extend the end date to 31 Dec 2013. For 2012, the end date had been set to 31 Dec 2012. This action places the recurring events on the 2013 calendar however all location information is lost. We tried to copy the event but that loses all recurring information. I would think that extending the end date should not lose the location information and should be fixed. Any suggestions?
I've verified that this happens, and I can suggest a workaround, which involves one extra step. First, do what you would normally do to extend the event:
  1. Choose the last event in the repeating series and edit it.
  2. (take note of the location information)
  3. Change the End date and click Update Event
  4. Choose to change "All Following Events"
This will save the new events, but as you noted, the event you changed as well as all the new events will now have no location information. Then do this again to set the location:
  1. Choose the same event you chose originally and edit it.
  2. Fill in the location information
  3. Click Update Event
  4. Choose to change "All Following Events"
That will make sure that the new events have the location information. It's a bit of a hassle, but lets you extend repeating events, keeping them all in one series.

I've brought this to the attention of the developers, just in case they don't see this thread.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wkadams

Post by wkadams »

Thanks for the reply. I discovered this same work around. I hope the developers can fix this problem so we don't have to have a work around.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Choose the last event in the repeating series and edit it.

Just to be clear, the second time you're doing that, you're doing it to the same event you edited (last of the old series) in the first round, right? As written, it suggests moving to the end of the new series.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Just to be clear, the second time you're doing that, you're doing it to the same event you edited (last of the old series) in the first round, right? As written, it suggests moving to the end of the new series.
Good point. Your assumption is correct. I've edited the text to make that clear.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

I've confirmed this issue in our test environment and have added it as a bug to be resolved in our next release.
unktehi

Post by unktehi »

Anyway to get around this if you're only in charge of reservations? I extended my reservations and now I'm not longer able to see them - I'm assuming, because there is no location specified.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Unktehi wrote:Anyway to get around this if you're only in charge of reservations? I extended my reservations and now I'm not longer able to see them - I'm assuming, because there is no location specified.
Just for clarification, are you talking about reservations or events. They are two different things. I suspect you are talking about an event because reservations can only be made for a location.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”