New Calendar Issues - Private Calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
davidpscoville

New Calendar Issues - Private Calendars

Post by davidpscoville »

kirtkennedy wrote:In Beta 2.1 calendar I'm unable to edit the private "Bishopric Calendar".
Settings>Calendars>Bishopric Calendar. I noticed that each member of the Bishopric is listed twice.."view only" and "view and edit". I'm the Ward Executive Secretary and when I bring up that calendar I get "view only", which is the case for each of the Bishopric members. How do we edit this calendar?
I'm having the same issue. Although I am a stake calendar administrator I am unable to add, remove or change privileges for those able to view and edit private calendars. I first noticed this with the new release of the calendar software. I can still do this for public calendars, but not private calendars. I submitted feedback on this a couple of days ago, and received a response today asking for more information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davidpscoville wrote:I'm having the same issue. Although I am a stake calendar administrator I am unable to add, remove or change privileges for those able to view and edit private calendars. I first noticed this with the new release of the calendar software. I can still do this for public calendars, but not private calendars. I submitted feedback on this a couple of days ago, and received a response today asking for more information.

A couple of clarifications:
  • When you say "I'm having the same issue," do you mean that you are also seeing the duplication of names mentioned in the post you linked to?
  • When you say "I am unable to..." what does that mean? Do you not have the red x buttons by each name to remove viewers/editors, or the green Add Person button? Or do you see those buttons, but they do nothing? Or they do something, but don't have the expected result?

[Moderator Note: This was originally posted in the Beta Calendar section, but since it refers to the current production calendar, I moved it to the regular Calendar section.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

It would be good to know if other admins are having trouble editing any private calendars. I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. I can't quite pinpoint it, though someone else had a similar issue besides David. Is it a difference between being a default admin versus an added admin?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidpscoville wrote:I'm having the same issue. Although I am a stake calendar administrator I am unable to add, remove or change privileges for those able to view and edit private calendars.

When you say "unable" what exactly are you seeing? Do you not have the controls, or do you get a error message when you try to use them?

I can see where some stakes might consider it a feature that the calendar administrator can only manage public calendars.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dlabau

Post by dlabau »

I am a stake executive secretary. When I go to Settings, Calendars and then click on any of the private calendars, they all say they are view only. None of the editing capabilities of the other calendars are available there.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

When you view the details of one of the view only private calendars do you see your name or your executive secretary calling in the list of editors or viewers? If so what is the setting next to it? If your name or your calling aren't in the list then it is functioning as it should. If this is the case you will need to have one of the users with the editing capability add you to the list with the appropriate rights.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kyleq wrote:When you view the details of one of the view only private calendars do you see your name or your executive secretary calling in the list of editors or viewers? If so what is the setting next to it? If your name or your calling aren't in the list then it is functioning as it should. If this is the case you will need to have one of the users with the editing capability add you to the list with the appropriate rights.

So you're saying that a Default Admin can't edit who has view and edit rights?

When I go into my stake's private calendar, I don't see my name or calling listed - but it appears I can edit the viewers and editors. At least the controls are not grayed out. I haven't tried to change anything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:So you're saying that a Default Admin can't edit who has view and edit rights?

When I go into my stake's private calendar, I don't see my name or calling listed - but it appears I can edit the viewers and editors. At least the controls are not grayed out. I haven't tried to change anything.
I see the same thing. One of our stake's private calendars has only the stake president and stake executive secretary listed as viewers/editors. That calendar doesn't appear in my list of calendars I can subscribe to. But I (as a Default Admin) was able to edit the calendar and add myself as a viewer/editor with no problem. Then that calendar appeared in my Subscriptions list and I can see and edit all the events.

As I recall, private calendars used to be more locked down than this in earlier versions of the calendar, but since our list of private calendars is quite stable, I have no idea when administrators started being able to edit permissions for private calendars that they neither created nor have edit permissions for.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:As I recall, private calendars used to be more locked down than this in earlier versions of the calendar, but since our list of private calendars is quite stable, I have no idea when administrators started being able to edit permissions for private calendars that they neither created nor have edit permissions for.

I'm not sure as I'd want to completely go back to the old way. I'd be concerned about losing access to a calendar with calling turnover. Particularly if the users are added by name and not calling (which seems to be the default when a calendar is created).

mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

aebrown wrote:I see the same thing. One of our stake's private calendars has only the stake president and stake executive secretary listed as viewers/editors. That calendar doesn't appear in my list of calendars I can subscribe to. But I (as a Default Admin) was able to edit the calendar and add myself as a viewer/editor with no problem. Then that calendar appeared in my Subscriptions list and I can see and edit all the events.
I don't see the same behavior. As ward clerk, I can see the same type of private "appointment" calendar (Bishop and Exec. Sec. only) in the calendar list but can't add myself to it (no "add user" link appears). Maybe this behavior is only on a stake level.

Return to “Calendar”