Anyone Else Noticed the new Sophos?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
rolandc

Anyone Else Noticed the new Sophos?

Post by rolandc »

A few of the machines that I manage were constantly having trouble for a day or so with what I thought was normal updating but it turned out to be a version upgrade to V10
Attachments
Sophos.jpg
Sophos.jpg (3.98 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
sophos_1.jpg
sophos_1.jpg (10.65 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
Roland
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Have since found out that it was an accident on sophos server, according to them we received three free upgrades to V10 and was told to leave them there.:p
Roland
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I saw it too. The icon in the system tray will look different.

To force the update to finish, do the following.

1. Right-click on the old Sophos Icon if you still see it, it's the 'block U' icon.
2. That will spawn a menu, click on 'update now', basically, you're forcing an update .
3. The update progress box will appear and it should either run the entire update, or the parts of the update that didn't get to you because of the server failure.
4. After it updates, you'll know you got it correctly because the system tray icon will be different. With v10, it is now a white shield with the letter 'S' in blue within it.

The good thing about Sophos is that if there are updates, and for some reason the update fails partway through, like it apparently did for some in this case, then it doesn't have to download whatever you got previously.

The v10 files were substantial. Took about 15 minutes to do it all even on a 7mbps connection if all went well. Not much more additional time was needed if there was a failure on one of the groups of files it downloads. Also, you got an AV detections update as usual at the same time.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Post by pgm44 »

If I try to update I got a message "no files needed updating" in our machine is the pruduct version 9.5. I think it is ok.

Paul van den Hurk,
Kauswagan Ward,
Cagayan de Oro City,
Philippines
pgm44

Post by pgm44 »

[INDENT]If I try to update I got a message "no files needed updating" in our machine is the pruduct version 9.5. I think it is ok.

Paul van den Hurk,
Kauswagan Ward,
Cagayan de Oro City,
Philippines [/INDENT]
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The 9.5 system tray icon will be the old 'U' icon as shown above in an earlier post. The v10 system tray icon will be the one on the right. You'll want to check to see which one it is. 9.5 is still very much valid, both versions give the same AV protection basically, but v10 will have some new things that make the software even better.
pgm44

Post by pgm44 »

Whatever I try the old 'U' icon still remains.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't think you can do the update yourself. It has to be pushed down from CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I have seen Sophos 10 pushed out to most of the FHC computers over the past few weeks. However, the clerk's admin computers are still running Sophos 9.5.5.
Dana
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

This is probably what our Stake clerk was complaining about. He had to wait 28 minutes from the time he booted the PC to when he could use MLS and it appeared Sophos updating was the issue. He was not pleased. In fact, if this continues we are considering cleaning the PC (ie: reinstall OS) and not putting Sophos back on as their is a point where members only have so much time and patience. I don't blame him at all given it was late at night to begin with. Hopefully we don't see a repeat of this but Sophos appears to be plain awful.

Return to “Clerk Computers”