64-bit Windows 7 ok?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
sj3vans

64-bit Windows 7 ok?

Post by sj3vans »

I searched for posts about this topic but did not find any so please excuse me if this has been covered. I am wondering if there is any problem running 64-bit Windows 7 with MLS?

I just started as STS and my first project is to complete some MLS PC upgrades. The new PC's are Dell PCs with 4GB of RAM but with 32-bit Windows 7 installed thus only having 3GB available. Installing 64-bit, among other benefits, will allow all of that memory to be used and opens the door for future memory upgrades if needed. I tried loading a 64-bit image and everything seems to have installed fine, even TEM and Sophos.

Does anyone have any reason not to go with the 64-bit version?

Thanks!
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I also scratched my head when I saw the 32-bit version of Windows 7 on the PC's our stake received. With Windows XP, 64-bit was an odd duck that was poorly supported, but with Windows 7, 64-bit is pretty much all that's shipping anymore with new PC's.

With that said, even though the product keys should work with the 64-bit version, I see no obvious reason to migrate to it (yet). We have no apps that need it, or any that require having more than 3GB of RAM. I'm sure there's some reason the church instructed Dell to pre-install the 32-bit version on all the PC's they are delivering as the cost is the the same as 64-bit, but I'm not privy to what that reason might be. Maybe i just like the idea that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Changing versions just seems like a lot of extra work on your part that has a slim chance of coming back to bite you later.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sj3vans wrote:Does anyone have any reason not to go with the 64-bit version?

If MLS doesn't work correctly, you'll either be on your own or be told to go back to 32-bit.

Unless CHQ told me it was supported, I wouldn't.

Of course this is assuming that the CPU supports 64-bit. The church tends to buy on the low-end, so that's not out of the realm of possibilities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I've installed it multiple times on 64 bit Windows 7 and haven't run into any issues. I've even restored backups from Windows XP into a system on 64bit Windows 7... when the cubs transition happened and I ended up restore all of my unit's databases to get all the financial data back, it did it a bunch.
sjager
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by sjager »

All Church desktops have aMicrosoft Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) that tells you what operatingsystem is authorized on that system.
Today Clerk Computers arenot eligible or authorized to have the OS upgraded from what came with thecomputer originally. Also it’s not recommended to use local funds to buy one off licensing.
If you did buy the softwarefrom local funds, please E-mail a copy of the proof of purchase to the softwarecompliance office at ITAssetManagement@ldschurch.org,along with your address, phone number and local unit id.
If the computer wasupgraded without purchasing the OS, Then please immediately revert back to theoriginal license that came with your computer.
By upgrading your softwarewithout proper licensing you are putting the Church at risk for non-compliancewith our software contacts and vendors.

Additionally we areremotely pushing software updates to Clerk computers worldwide, these updatesinclude operating system patches, Sophos and other standard applications. Ifyou deviate from the established standards we will not be able to update orhelp manage the computer for you as easily.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.
Desktop Management Team
Product Manager
Church desktop hardware and software
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I read the original message again, I'm not sure where anyone indicated they bought new licenses or that they had WinXP machines they are just upgrading without having proper licensing, the data is that MLS came with 32 bit OS, upgrading to the 64 bit OS was the question in the thread. Is there a specific reason that the Desktop Management Team wants us to continue using 32 bit OS vs the 64 bit? It's bad enough that I got 14 NEW computers last year with a single processor in them installed with Windows XP, do I have to use the 32 bit version of Win7 as well? These are good types of answers for a deployment of Implementation guide, a FAQ or something might be good...
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

sjager wrote:All Church desktops have aMicrosoft Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) that tells you what operatingsystem is authorized on that system.
Today Clerk Computers arenot eligible or authorized to have the OS upgraded from what came with thecomputer originally
[snip]
If the computer wasupgraded without purchasing the OS, Then please immediately revert back to theoriginal license that came with your computer. By upgrading your softwarewithout proper licensing you are putting the Church at risk for non-compliancewith our software contacts and vendors.
Actually, the Windows 7 EULA allows for either 32-bit or 64-bit to be used with the attached COA, as long as it's the SAME version (i.e. Windows 7 Professional) and you don't have both installed. (In other words, pick one!) Here's a snippet from the Windows 7 OEM EULA...
Microsoft_EULA wrote:2. d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may use only one version at one time.
In practice, many have found that Microsoft now allows the COA Product Key to work with either 32-bit or 64-bit installations of the product listed on the sticker. With that said, just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
sjager wrote:Additionally we areremotely pushing software updates to Clerk computers worldwide, these updatesinclude operating system patches, Sophos and other standard applications. Ifyou deviate from the established standards we will not be able to update orhelp manage the computer for you as easily.

Ahhh... For me, that's the real clincher. The church is EXPECTING to see 32-bit versions of the OS on ALL of our PC's and has probably done extensive testing on their products and updates based on that model. By altering our systems, we run a potential compatibility risk, because altered systems would no longer be included in their testing procedures. We just don't know what problems it may cause (if any). As far as I can tell, the benefits of moving to 64-bit are insignificant compared to the risks involved.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

How would anyone know the church is expecting to see 32 bit versions on the computers.

It hasnt seemed to impact a couple of computers in our stake. Been running 64 bit for a year or so but i would change it to 32 bit in a minute with a valid reason to do so... not just an assumption. Without vision, the people perish.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JohnShaw wrote: Been running 64 bit for a year or so but i would change it to 32 bit in a minute with a valid reason to do so... not just an assumption.

I'm curious -- have you seen OS updates being sent to these systems via LANDesk or TEM since you installed 64-bit Windows on them? If you have, that would make me feel a lot better about running 64-bit Windows. If not, that would validate the concerns about the Church being able to manage updates on such systems.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

JohnShaw wrote:How would anyone know the church is expecting to see 32 bit versions on the computers.
It's not by accident that EVERY Windows 7 PC arriving from Dell is configured with the 32-bit version. This is the way CHQ requested from Dell that they all be delivered. And as far as I know, CHQ has not given any of us permission to change the OS from the way they were originally setup (unless they arrived with XP installed, but had a valid Windows 7 COA). If you were able to obtain permission from CHQ to install a 64-bit OS, I would be very interested in learning about it.
JohnShaw wrote:It hasnt seemed to impact a couple of computers in our stake. Been running 64 bit for a year or so but i would change it to 32 bit in a minute with a valid reason to do so... not just an assumption.

Call the Global Service Center and ask them directly if there is any problem with you changing Windows 7 to 64-bit on some of the administrative computers in your stake. If they ask you to change them back (as sjager did a few posts back, who, BTW, happens to work as a Product Manager for Church Desktop Hardware and Software), I would think that would be reason enough to do so without any further explanation.

Let's not forget, we are just stewards. These computers are owned by the church and they are free to dictate to us exactly how they would like them configured, even if it's simply so they don't have to expand their testing of new software and patches to include a 64-bit OS. That in itself would simplify the testing process, saving a LOT of time and money on their part for each product they are currently working on.

Return to “Clerk Computers”