500 Exception when going to lesson site

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
mevans

Post by mevans »

RussellHltn wrote:You might want to keep an eye out if you're using http or https.

In several cases where the problem has occurred, I was not currently logged in to lds.org. However, I'll pay attention to this. I just experimented with this and my experience is that it manages to keep my login session to various sites if I use http in a URL after I've logged in (for example, I log in to lesson schedules and then type http://lds.org/directory and it keeps me logged in).
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

We've been battling server problems for the last few days but we're close to getting it solved so you should be able to access Lesson successfully now. Are you still seeing the problem? If so, try clearing your cache in addition to your cookies to see if that will get you access to another server that is working. Thanks for your patience.
QA Engineer
mevans

Post by mevans »

For the last several days I've accessing lesson schedules via other methods than typing in the URL just to see if I could find any problems there. I'll go back to typing in the URL to see if I encounter any problems now. If I find a problem, I'll try clearing the cache and cookies to see if that fixes it. Thanks for the update.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I got the 500 exception again today. :(

Before trying to clear the cache, I went to lds.org and signed out, then went to lds.org/lesson again. It asked me to sign in and it worked the second time.

It might be too much to explain, or more technical details than you want to go into, but I'll ask, because maybe it would help me debug this thing...
  • Is all of lds.org on every server or is there a subset of servers for specific features, such a lesson schedules, directory, etc.?
  • Does your load balancing allow me to go to any server for any request, or is it sticky based on something like my IP or a cookie? If load balancing is sticky, is it only sticky if I've signed in?
  • How many servers are there hosting lesson schedules?
  • Is there any kind of debugging information I could see if I look at the source of a page, such as the name of the server that just served the page I'm seeing? Depending on what happens with load balancing, etc., maybe I could either identify which servers are working or which server isn't working.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

@mevans: We're having problems with both lds.org and with the server in particular that serves up Lesson. We've found one problem and fixed it for Lesson. We're now working on another issue. Load balancing should not be sticky. There are three servers hosting Lesson but they are all identical to each other. The best debugging information is found by running Firebug inside of Firefox. If you can copy that text or screen shot what Firebug is saying and send it to us, that would be great. Thanks for your additional effort. Please know that we haven't given up on getting Lesson running consistently.
QA Engineer
mevans

Post by mevans »

@LisaAn...thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get it to fail in Netscape with Firebug. Most of my use has been on Safari, but I'll try to use Firefox more and see what happens.

FYI...for the next few weeks I might not be on these forums as much as I had been.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

We have just released a new version of Lesson Schedules that should improve things. We also added additional logging so when you encounter the problem you can give us more information. Please try Lesson Schedules again and see if it's working properly. Let us know the results. Thank you for your patience.
QA Engineer
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

Is this still happening to anyone? We're wondering if we should continue to work on this or not because we haven't been able to duplicate here in-house. Thanks.
QA Engineer
mevans

Post by mevans »

LisaAn wrote:Is this still happening to anyone?

I use Lesson Schedules nearly every day and I rarely see problems. I've occasionally received the eternal spinning ball, but that's about the only problem I've seen and it's happened so infrequently that it's not worth mentioning.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”